Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > The Hapsburg Dynasty of Austria-Hungary

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 14 comments I've fond so much great historical fiction pertaining to the English monarchy, but I was wondering if there was any HF worth reading set in Austria-Hungary.

Now I know that the Hapsburgs have had a very long reign, in fact they were the Holy Roman Emperors of the Middle Ages. However I am looking for the 19th century up to their abdication after WW1. All I've been able to find so far is straight biography, which is good but after all I am in a HF loving group!

message 2: by Babs (new)

Babs (somedaybabs) | 72 comments I have a grandmother who was from Austria-Hungary. I am also interested in the history...I am playing catch up on all kinds of history thru historical fiction since as a child I had no interest in any kind of history.

I found this link when I Googled "HF set in Austria Hungary" which has quite a few interesting listings...I am curious about he Transylvania trilogy.

http://www.historicalnovels.info/20th...

message 3: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 700 comments The first half of Becoming Marie Antoinette by Juliet Grey was set in Austria and although from Marie's POV tells us a lot about her family, the Hapsburgs,

message 4: by Babs (new)

Babs (somedaybabs) | 72 comments LemonLinda wrote: "The first half of Becoming Marie Antoinette by Juliet Grey was set in Austria and although from Marie's POV tells us a lot about her family, the Hapsburgs,"

I have

Marie Antoinette: The Journey

On my shelf..I am wondering if this biography is also a good source of the Hapsburg, Austria-Hungary history.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments Eva Ibbotson's Madensky Square is one of my favorite reads - a really delightful, funny, poignant book about a fashionable dressmaker in pre WWI Vienna. Her friends, her zany cast of clients, her gallant Field Marshal lover, and her secret past. Ibbotson's great, but this is probably her best.

message 6: by Chrissie (last edited Feb 22, 2012 10:58AM) (new)

Chrissie Here is a book which I want to read: The Bells. However you wanted a book set in the 1800s; this I believe is set in the 1700s.

message 7: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie And here is another one:Csardas. I think the time fits your request better. I have read neither, but both look good.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments Csardas is good but very sad. Be warned!

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Thanks, Kate!

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 14 comments Babs wrote: "I have a grandmother who was from Austria-Hungary. I am also interested in the history...I am playing catch up on all kinds of history thru historical fiction since as a child I had no interest in..."
That's really cool about your grandmother, I loved the site you linked me to. BTW that Transylvania Trilogy beckoned to me. I've never used Texas InterLibrary loan before, but I just had to get the first book somehow!

Kate wrote: "Eva Ibbotson's Madensky Square is one of my favorite reads - a really delightful, funny, poignant book about a fashionable dressmaker in pre WWI Vienna. Her friends, her zany cast o..."

I love Eva Ibbotson, Journey to the River Seawas one of my favorite books growing up, I still love it!

message 11: by Ioana (new)

Ioana | -8 comments Babs wrote: "I have a grandmother who was from Austria-Hungary. I am also interested in the history...I am playing catch up on all kinds of history thru historical fiction since as a child I had no interest in..."

Great site, thanks Babs

message 12: by Greg (new)

Greg Scowen (gregscowen) Don't forget that the Hapsburgs (Habsburg) have their roots in Switzerland and a lot of history here, too.

You can visit the Habsburg castles here.

Some English information about the family in Switzerland, before they put focus on Austria:
http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/Home/Arch...

I live 5 minutes away from one of their original castles: http://www.schlosskyburg.ch/e/history...

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 208 comments assume we are only concreating on the latter part of the dynastry as for a period is also ruled spain from charles V onwards until the split

message 14: by Gary (new)

Gary Inbinder | 174 comments I recommend Sissi: Elisabeth, Empress of Austria by Brigette Hamann. Of special interest to those interested in the period (1850s-1900)

Sissi: Elisabeth, Empress of Austria

message 15: by Garth (last edited Jul 04, 2012 11:48AM) (new)

message 16: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (torim) | -2 comments This may be interesting to those interested in the Habsburg family history that led to WW1. 2014 is the anniversary year of the unsolved passing of Crown Prince Rudolph There are many speculations about his death, but none are proven. one new book is Crown Prince Rudolph, Rebel if you look, you'll find several others as well as new movies.

message 17: by Marie (new)

Marie (goodreadscomuser_mariedesantis) | 44 comments Victoria wrote: "This may be interesting to those interested in the Habsburg family history that led to WW1. 2014 is the anniversary year of the unsolved passing of Crown Prince Rudolph There are many speculations ..."
This is true.... I'm really intersted by Rudolph and Mary Vetsera.

message 18: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) I agree about Csardas. I thought the author created the atmosphere of the pre-1914 Empire really well. And count me in as another who loves Eva Ibbotson. She was from Vienna herself, so really knew what she was writing about.

The second part of Deborah Harkness' All Souls Trilogy has a section set in the Habsburg Empire. I have mixed feelings about these books, but I enjoyed that part, as also the London section.

Victoria P. - not the Victoria who has already posted in this thread.

message 19: by Gary (new)

Gary Inbinder | 174 comments Victoria wrote: "This may be interesting to those interested in the Habsburg family history that led to WW1. 2014 is the anniversary year of the unsolved passing of Crown Prince Rudolph There are many speculations ..."

I recommend Frederic Morton's A Nervous Splendor. I read it many years ago, but as I recall it's very well-written and excellent on period detail.

A Nervous Splendor Vienna 1888-1889 by Frederic Morton

message 20: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments I recommend Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees which is a novel from the perspective of Mozart's sister and takes place in 18th century Austria.

I also recommend Guises of Desireby Hilda Reilly which is about the first psychoanalysis patient. It takes place in 19th century Vienna and provides a great deal of insight into the situation for women at the time.

message 21: by P.D.R. (last edited Jan 22, 2014 12:44AM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) You ask about the 19thC. Garth recommends one but I'd recommend all the John Biggins books starting with the first: 'Tomorrow the World'.

The books are beautifully written. The research is marvellous and as far as I understand, and have been told, it is spot on.

Otto Prohaska, now an old man, is remembering the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and telling his life story in a dry and very humourous way.

The books have gathered quite a cult following and we keen readers are waing for what Biggins publishes next!