Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > April nominations

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments I'm putting this up because a lot of other groups are already and I thought it might give us a fair amount of time to work out our April read and for those who don't have it to get it. So then just for your interest our March read is 1Q84. Nominate with no set topic for April. Okay then.

message 2: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan | 4 comments How about Philip K Dick - 'The Penultimate Truth'? Sorry if it's already been done!

message 3: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments I'll recommend Dune again as I'm coming to read that in April.

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (Jefforama) | 6 comments I've been thinking of picking up Pawn of Prophecy (Belgariad #1) by David Eddings.

message 5: by Alex (last edited Mar 01, 2012 12:27PM) (new)

Alex (alexraemoller) | 2 comments Jeff wrote: "I've been thinking of picking up Pawn of Prophecy (Belgariad #1) by David Eddings."

That's a great book. You definitely should read it.

message 6: by Xdyj (new)

message 7: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments Xdyj wrote: "The Etched City by K.J. Bishop"

Sounds intriguing...

message 8: by Amethyst (new)

Amethyst (amethystthalia) | 12 comments How about a terry pratchett book like strata or dark side of the sun?

message 9: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan | 4 comments Terry Pratchett sounds good!

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin Waldrop (robinpwaldrop) How about Ties To The Blood Moon? I'm still trying...

message 11: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments I don't think we normally take author requests but since I've added a write in might as well...

message 12: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments All right then I'm putting a poll up come Monday (my time - so many other people's Sundays) so if anyone wants to get in any final books do so soon!

message 13: by Tom (new)

Tom (tnbagwell) | 1 comments I'm new to the group, so I'm not sure what's been read in the past. I'm about to start 'Echoes of Betrayal' by Elizabeth Moon, the latest in the Paksenarrion books. So, if none of the previous books have been reads, I'd recommend the first book in the 'Deed of Paksenarrion' series, 'Sheepfarmer's Daughter'. If they've been read, then I'd recommend the latest, mentioned above.

message 14: by Amethyst (new)

Amethyst (amethystthalia) | 12 comments it's Tuesday where is the poll?

message 15: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj | 418 comments Sorry I thought Jonathan is going to do that. I've already put out the poll.

message 16: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments Sorry guys I got distracted with uni. Thanks for doing the poll for me I was just about to myself.

message 17: by Amethyst (new)

Amethyst (amethystthalia) | 12 comments OK, I voted - it seams like ties to blood moon is on there twice.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 38 comments Waylander and Etched City sound awesome!

message 19: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments The other ties to the blood moon are write ins at the moment.

message 20: by Fayley (new)

Fayley Guys - how is a werewolf/vampire/girl love triangle even remotely "Heroic SciFi"? Surely it belongs on a list for a different group.

message 21: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj | 418 comments Fayley wrote: "Guys - how is a werewolf/vampire/girl love triangle even remotely "Heroic SciFi"? Surely it belongs on a list for a different group."

Though, arguably, neither is 1Q84 heroic fantasy. :)

message 22: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments 1Q84 could be considered in the sci-fi genre to a degree though.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.