Q&A with Stacia Kane discussion

Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
This topic is about Sacrificial Magic
SACRIFICIAL MAGIC (non-spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (new)

Stacia Kane (staciakane) | 157 comments Mod
Got questions about what might happen or comments about what you hope happens? Post them here! I won't give spoilers but I may give hints. :-)

Carrie (dyslexicsquirrel) | 21 comments Is it March yet? I pre-orderd months ago as a birthday present to myself and have been sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for release day. My fingers are getting twitchy. ):

Note to self: Work on being more patient...

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ i wont look at the spoiler thread but im alittle apprehensive regarding Chess and Terrible since Home was soooo good. Thank u for that btw.

Carrie (dyslexicsquirrel) | 21 comments Ack! I loved Home so much. Chess + Terrible = <3

I really wanted to write an awesome review for it, but I can't get my thoughts together enough to do it haha. #fail

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Can you put all of our fears to rest, that Chess doesn't screw things up bad enough with Terrible to break them up? PLEASE? :-)

Gems I'm eagerly awaiting the next instalment of Chess & Terrible and thought it would be interesting to see what you all think will happen in SM...? What will be the sacrifice?

I am hoping that Chess is not going to have to sacrifice Terrible but....what else could it be? I'm guessing the rune she used in Unholy Magic could play a part in this book as it has kind of been left out there at the moment. I've also guessed from the blurb that Lex plays a part in the book and I'm wondering what that will be - how will he try to get Chess back and what could he do to even tempt her? (Not that I want him to!!)

Anyway, I'd be really interested to hear some of your thoughts and see if they are the same as mine – we can see if any of our predictions are right once the book is released!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Gems wrote: "I'm eagerly awaiting the next instalment of Chess & Terrible and thought it would be interesting to see what you all think will happen in SM...? What will be the sacrifice?

I am hoping that Che..."

While it is fun to speculate, I almost don't want to ... I don't want you to be right about Terrible!

Though for the record, I don't think you are, I think it has to do more with the sacrifice of giving up some control of her life to someone else ... but I bet the rune comes into play. :-)

message 8: by Stacia (new)

Laura wrote: "Can you put all of our fears to rest, that Chess doesn't screw things up bad enough with Terrible to break them up? PLEASE? :-)"

But Laura, that would be a big spoiler!

Honestly? I think you already have the answer to this anyway, if you think about it. Because their future together really rests on how strong their connection is and how they each feel about the other, doesn't it? :-)

message 9: by Yodamom (new) - added it

Yodamom I am afraid that Chess will not be able to turn Lex away and Terrible will be hurt. I don't think he'd leave her but he might separate his heart from her a bit. I don't think anything can break the bond they have so I have hope. They are bruised and battered people, it will be a bumpy ride

message 10: by midnightblooms (last edited Feb 24, 2012 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

midnightblooms | 11 comments Gems wrote: "I'm eagerly awaiting the next instalment of Chess & Terrible and thought it would be interesting to see what you all think will happen in SM...? What will be the sacrifice?

I am hoping that Che..."

I'm pretty sure the rune will play some part in this book just based on hints and foreshadowing Stacia has dropped in previous books.

I don't think it's necessarily that Chess will have to sacrifice Terrible (oh man, I really hope not) and, honestly, I don't think she could make herself do that. From the very beginning Chess's instinct has to protect Terrible. Part of why she didn't outright refuse Lex's offer was to keep Slobag and Bump from fighting because she knew Terrible would be on the front lines if there was a turf war. And she hasn't hesitated to break Church law for him in the past.

I think it more likely that Terrible will chose to be a sacrifice of some kind and she won't be able to deny him that choice. Or maybe that Chess will chose to sacrifice herself in some way to save Terrible from the effects of the rune.

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking? (Please let Terrible live. Please let Terrible live. Please let Terrible live.)

message 11: by Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (last edited Feb 24, 2012 01:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Stacia wrote: "Laura wrote: "Can you put all of our fears to rest, that Chess doesn't screw things up bad enough with Terrible to break them up? PLEASE? :-)"

But Laura, that would be a big spoiler!

Honestly? I..."

*sigh* I know, but it didn't hurt to ask! But at the same time he has MAJOR trust issues, for good reason, and I know that is going to get in the way over and over and over and over, and, knowing Chess, over and over and over some more. And since I am pretty sure Lex is going to try and get her back, he is not above exploiting said trust issues ... I am just concerned.

And yes Midnightblooms, I will continue your chant "please let Terrible live, please let Terrible live, please let Terrible live, please let Terrible live"

message 12: by Gems (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gems Ohhh midnight blooms - I like your prediction that Terrible will choose to be a sacrifice in some way....interesting...!

I definitely think that Chess and Terrible will come back together despite what happens in SM, whether that be any issues Lex throws up (although I don't think that Chess will be tempted by him, more that Lex will try to make it difficult for Chess & Terrible), or the Rune or something else! They are meant to be together!

Am I right in thinking Downside Ghosts is a 6 book series? I wonder how Chess’s journey will continue over the series? Will we see Terrible and Chess becoming more of a team as she tackles the Church cases, or will the rest of the series be a development of her relationship with Terrible?

I loved 'Home' and seeing Terrible & Chess working together – I really hope we see more of this :)

Anyway, these are just a few of my ideas, wondered what some of you thought?

Carrie (dyslexicsquirrel) | 21 comments As much as I'm trying to not think about what's going to happen in the book cause I'm too antsy for the release already, I do kind of hope that Terrible punches Lex in the face at lease one more time. :3 #bloodthirsty

message 14: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments i really am eagerly anticipating S/M,at the same time im utterly apprehensive,what if chess ends up messing up things with terrible beyond salvation?

message 15: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments Carrie wrote: "As much as I'm trying to not think about what's going to happen in the book cause I'm too antsy for the release already, I do kind of hope that Terrible punches Lex in the face at lease one more ti..."

carrie well said!not just in the face,but beats him to a pulp,never really liked lex too smarmy!

message 16: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments Yodamom wrote: "I am afraid that Chess will not be able to turn Lex away and Terrible will be hurt. I don't think he'd leave her but he might separate his heart from her a bit. I don't think anything can break the..."

i hope she wont make the same mistake twice,that would be just cruel,i dont think terrible would recover from it.

message 17: by Gems (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gems Carrie wrote: "As much as I'm trying to not think about what's going to happen in the book cause I'm too antsy for the release already, I do kind of hope that Terrible punches Lex in the face at lease one more ti..."

Hahaha I agree :)

message 18: by Gems (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gems Stacia - do you know when the book will be released? I have found a variety of release dates, the book depository look like they will be releasing on 1st March, Amazon (UK) on 10th May and I think you have said official release date is 27th March?
I'd prefer to get it on kindle as I have e-copies of the other books - but not if I have to wait until May for it!!
Thanks!

message 19: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments Gems wrote: "Stacia - do you know when the book will be released? I have found a variety of release dates, the book depository look like they will be releasing on 1st March, Amazon (UK) on 10th May and I think..."

the book depository got the wrong date ,its being released on march27th not march the 1st,i pre-ordered a cop myself thinking heee haaa i will get to read it sooner,but they just e-mailed confirming the later release date is more accurate.mind you it is better than waiting until may 10th,to get it from amazon uk as i initially did,but now i cancelled my order with amazon uk and pre ordered it from the book depository for the release date of march 27th,as i need my T man fix.

Emily | 110 comments I would like to know if we find out more about Terrible's past in this book? I want to know more about him. I know from his reaction to the blood book that he did not have a kind past but I still am desperate to learn more about him...........I love him.......

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments I was just doing a little recon.... SM is at a very respectable 66 on listopia's most anticipated for 2012, but CM is stalled at 152. C'mon junkies, vote already!! It'd be just Terrible if we couldn't Bump that number up Chess a little bit........*pushes wineglass away* I know that was so not as funny irl as it was in my head, but it was like a dorky little joke demon scrabbling to get out!!!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Sarah wrote: "I was just doing a little recon.... SM is at a very respectable 66 on listopia's most anticipated for 2012, but CM is stalled at 152. C'mon junkies, vote already!! It'd be just Terrible if we coul..."

Where do I go vote?! Can I vote 100's of times?

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments Up at the top of the page there's a little arrow next to explore, when you click it chose listopia. It should be right on the top. Can't Wait Books of 2012 is the name of the list, I put my votes on the What To Read Next list too. I'm sure there are more lists, but that's where I voted. I think you get 5votes per list.....again, not sure, but you can only vote for each book 1 time.

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments Yodamom wrote: "I am afraid that Chess will not be able to turn Lex away and Terrible will be hurt. I don't think he'd leave her but he might separate his heart from her a bit. I don't think anything can break the..."

I think Lex will interfere by getting in trouble somehow and Chess will feel like she needs to help (damnit)..... causing some funkys for T and Chess. But it will all end well, remember, they worked together to find her. <<<<<< sheer speculation because I am not on the lucky pre-release reader list :(

message 25: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments im barely refraining my self from reading S/M spoilers,i think i deserve a medal for self discipline,as i m beyond eager to to read it.

message 26: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments Sarah wrote: "Yodamom wrote: "I am afraid that Chess will not be able to turn Lex away and Terrible will be hurt. I don't think he'd leave her but he might separate his heart from her a bit. I don't think anythi..."

i totally agree,i think he s up to something.i thought it was strange that he took chess dumping him rather well,so maybe he has few tricks up his sleeve to cause trouble for chess and our man T.i also think that from his side their brief affair was not as casual as chess thought,and i dont think he will let her go without a fight.but as hard as he might try he s not the man for her,he would never,ever compare to terrible.

message 27: by Gems (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gems Hind wrote: "Gems wrote: "Stacia - do you know when the book will be released? I have found a variety of release dates, the book depository look like they will be releasing on 1st March, Amazon (UK) on 10th Ma..."

Thanks - I might hold off and see if Amazon move their release date forward! Thanks again :)

message 28: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments Gems wrote: "Hind wrote: "Gems wrote: "Stacia - do you know when the book will be released? I have found a variety of release dates, the book depository look like they will be releasing on 1st March, Amazon (U..."

no worries,happy to help.

message 29: by Yodamom (new) - added it

Yodamom I hope so, they are so connected.Sarah wrote: "Yodamom wrote: "I am afraid that Chess will not be able to turn Lex away and Terrible will be hurt. I don't think he'd leave her but he might separate his heart from her a bit. I don't think anythi..."

message 30: by Stacia (new)

Emily wrote: "I would like to know if we find out more about Terrible's past in this book? I want to know more about him. I know from his reaction to the blood book that he did not have a kind past but I still ..."

Not really in SM, Emily, no, but you will find out more about it as time goes on. The story of how he ended up working for Bump is particularly interesting; Terrible told Chess the truth about how Bump found him when he was on the streets, and about not knowing who his family was or when he was born or anything, but there is a bit more to the story than that. I'm just not sure where/when it'll fit into the series. :-)

Emily | 110 comments Thanks for the response Stacia.........although you have me wanting to know more than ever now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Ok, so is it just me or does the month seem to be SLOWING DOWN??? I really need the 27th to be here already. Other books just are not as interesting to me, because they aren't Downside. *sigh* I may need professional help ... ;-)

message 33: by Yodamom (new) - added it

Yodamom It is slowing down I feel it too. sigh Laura wrote: "Ok, so is it just me or does the month seem to be SLOWING DOWN??? I really need the 27th to be here already. Other books just are not as interesting to me, because they aren't Downside. *sigh* I ma..."

Jennifer (thebooknympho) LOVED IT!!!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Ok friends ... round 2 of the cage match is up, lets vote and get Chessiebomb another W!!

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/...

(P.S. sorry if you see this several times, I want to make sure this gets out there!)

message 36: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments kelsier is ahead of chess???we cant let that happen! come on,vote! vote! vote !

Emily | 110 comments I voted for Chess.........it was hard because I do love Kelsier.........................Sighs.............

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments People (Kelsier fans) are getting nasty on there ... let's not sink to their level. If Chess is going to lose then so be it, but bad-mouthing the authors/characters in unnecessary. We are better than that :-).

Emily | 110 comments That is terrible. I am a huge Kelsier fan, even though I voted for Chess, but still I would NOT badmouth anyone. Stupid people.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments It is terrible (and not the good kind!), did you go through and read the comments? I am embarrassed for them. We all love our characters/authors. I don't know about anyone else, but I take offense when someone starts badmouthing something I like, for no legitimate reason. Not saying we all like the same things, but seriously, can we not have intelligent discussions?

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments sheeeee-eeeesh, I love that people have such strong emotional reactions to fictitious characters, it just goes to show what wonderful authors we are blessed to read.

Kudos Stacia, for yet another job well done ;)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments lmao Em, not badmouthing stupid people, you cracka me up girl!!

Emily | 110 comments Sarah wrote: "lmao Em, not badmouthing stupid people, you cracka me up girl!!"

I couldn't resist...................

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Seriously! I think time has come to a stand-still ...

Emily | 110 comments ❀ Sharon ❀ wrote: "First 3 chapters available:

http://www.staciakane.net/books/sacri..."

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annie (pages_of_chaos) | 3 comments I've just read the first 3 chapter TEASERS.... I can't wait for more.... I've been a very good girl and staying away from the spoilers

message 48: by Stacia (new)

Ugh! I could *swear* someone asked me somewhere in here about whether or not Terrible does drugs, other than to save his life as in UG, and why/why not.

I can't find that post, but the answer is no, he doesn't. Partly because he's too on-his-guard most of the time and worries about what might happen if he wasn't paying attention, like he could be attacked. A bigger part is that he worries about not being able to control himself, and what might happen if he loses his temper--what he might do to someone else. And he has a pretty big job--in his eyes--and he knows he needs to be strong to do it, and he's seen too many people get weak and sick and all of that, and he wouldn't be able to help Bump if he was strung out and he owes Bump his life in more ways than one. When he was younger he did try them, but not in years. He doesn't even take painkillers for actual pain if he can help it, because he knows how easy it is.

Sorry I can't find the original question!!

message 49: by Yodamom (new) - added it

Yodamom Ah Terrible, such a sweetheart ! Stacia wrote: "Ugh! I could *swear* someone asked me somewhere in here about whether or not Terrible does drugs, other than to save his life as in UG, and why/why not.

I can't find that post, but the answer is ..."

Emily | 110 comments Stacia wrote: "Ugh! I could *swear* someone asked me somewhere in here about whether or not Terrible does drugs, other than to save his life as in UG, and why/why not.

I can't find that post, but the answer is ..."

I asked that........I don't remember where i posted it though. Thanks for answering :)