Women's Fiction authors discussion

Pricing E-Books

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (last edited Feb 22, 2012 04:17AM) (new)

Peggy Strack (peggymorehouse) | 96 comments How do you decide how much to charge for an e-book? I will be publishing my first women's fiction novel soon so thought I'd go with $.99. I've been reading pros and cons about a "cheap" price. One con is serious readers don't even look at inexpensive e-books. What have others done and how was your success in terms of sales? Thanks so much for your thoughts.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Peggy, I have the same question and have read alot on the topic. My sense is that 2.99-3.99 is a good range. Solves the .99 not serious fiction issue and still cheap enough for readers to take a chance on an unknown.
other thoughts?

message 3: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Strack (peggymorehouse) | 96 comments I think $2.99 is a good fair price for a first novel (e-book),

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina Wible | 10 comments Of course there are some sites out there that promote your novel for you if you are selling it at $.99 and this may lead to a building a reader base. Two of my novels are priced at $4.99 and one, IN SEASON is currently priced at $.99. I'm not having any more success at $.99 than I am at $4.99. Who knows?

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori (lhmosca) I just found a new author that I am really enjoying and the ONLY reason I even gave her a chance is the book came thru one day a sa free nook book on an fb site I follow. I will now "buy" her future books and I'm comfortable that I'll enjoy them.

message 6: by Leah (new)

Leah Griffith | 32 comments I hoping to launch my novel at the end of March with B&N and Amazon. It's a work of fiction. I'm curious about pricing. Any advice??

message 7: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Strack (peggymorehouse) | 96 comments Hi All ~ I just did an informal study. I counted all of the .99 Kindle e-books on the top 100 sellers at the moment. There were 16. The list included traditionally published and self-published books. About 1/2 of the books on the list seemed to be self-published books priced between .99 - 2.99. ~ Peggy

message 8: by Leah (new)

Leah Griffith | 32 comments Thanks Peggy! I wonder why people list them so inexpensively. It seems to me that is pretty low. Hmmm.

message 9: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Strack (peggymorehouse) | 96 comments Leah wrote: "Thanks Peggy! I wonder why people list them so inexpensively. It seems to me that is pretty low. Hmmm."

I agree. I'll have worked three years on my novel by the time I publish it and I'll be selling it for the price of a 3-minute music download. I've read that if you can sell enough e-books, publishers will take notice and many authors have gotten contracts that way. It's about volume, not making money. The scary thing is, right next to the top 100 books for sale, is the list of top 100 "free" downloads. It's getting crazy. ~ Peggy

message 10: by Leah (new)

Leah Griffith | 32 comments Wow Peggy, I'm like you. Worked very hard (3 years) to get my novel finished and polished and now it seems like I'm expected to practically give it away. I don't think so. I want to do what's right and I have a feeling that it's going to be a "learn as you go" experience. Is your novel already available?
~Leah

message 11: by Christina (new)

Christina Wible | 10 comments Well, I've reduced two of my books (In Between Goodbyes and The Shepherd's Image) to $2.99 and In Season is still at $.99 and I'll see what happens. About "giving them away," I write because I love to write and I feel wonderful about being able to publish them. Since I would be nothing without my writing I really only want to cover my expenses. Anything else is great.

message 12: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Strack (peggymorehouse) | 96 comments Christina wrote: "Well, I've reduced two of my books (In Between Goodbyes and The Shepherd's Image) to $2.99 and In Season is still at $.99 and I'll see what happens. About "giving them away," I write because I lov..."

I'm with you Christina. I love to write, can't wait to see my words in print and will be thrilled to finally have some readers. Anything else is gravey. My novel is going through a final professional edit now and should be available this summer. Starting out with inexpensive downloads seems to be the way to go. I'll also have the book form available. We'll learn together, Leah. It's a bit overwhelming. Are your books available on Kindle, Christina?

message 13: by Leah (new)

Leah Griffith | 32 comments I hear you Christina, I too love writing, and I will write no matter how well my books do. I believe I am a steward of my work and making it available to readers is part of that stewardship. With the love of the art aside, I also want to be wise about pricing and not feel pressured to undervalue my work.
Once my novel is available to readers I will let them decide how well the novel does. It's all very exciting really. Don't you think?
And yes Peggy, we will all be learning together!

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina Wible | 10 comments Yes, Peggy, My books are available on both Kindle and Nook and in paper on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. They can also be ordered by independents if they so choose. I'm pondering the new exclusive amazon ebook offerings but I would have to take them off Nook to do that. Any thoughts?

message 15: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Strack (peggymorehouse) | 96 comments What are the advantages of the new exclusive Amazon ebook offerings?

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina Wible | 10 comments I found these this morning. They give both sides of the Amazon exclusive offerings:

http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2012/0...

message 17: by Leah (new)

Leah Griffith | 32 comments Christina wrote: "I found these this morning. They give both sides of the Amazon exclusive offerings:

http://www.thecreativepenn.com/20..."

Thank you Christina! I think I'm suffering from TMI;) LOL!!

message 18: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Strack (peggymorehouse) | 96 comments Thanks, Christina. You are a great resource.