Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Jude Deveraux
This topic is about Jude Deveraux
2012 Challenge Archive > FAC: Jude Deveraux (March 2012)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19366 comments Jude Deveraux, born 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky is a US author who is well known for her historical romances with storylines centered on strong, capable heroines. After earning a degree in art from Murray State University and studying teaching at the University of New Mexico, she taught fifth grade in Santa Fe, New Mexico. She left when her first book, The Land of Enchantment, was accepted for publication by Avon books.

Deveraux has written stories set in later time periods, including post-Revolutionary America, nineteenth century Colorado, and nineteenth century New Mexico. She has written several time-travel romances, and her latest novels have a contemporary setting. Many of her more recent books feature paranormal storylines.

Jude has had over thirty books on the New York Times Bestsellers List, over 60 million copies in print, and has been translated into 18 languages. Deveraux appeared as herself in the 1987 romance novelist documentary ‘Where the Heart Roams’.

Challenge Task: Read one book written by our featured author, Jude Deveraux.
Challenge Duration: The whole month of March.

To sign up:
Post your interest and the book you are planning to read.

You must also signify if you are:
A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

To complete:
Post the date when you've completed your book.

You must also say if, after reading:
A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A little review of the book read is welcomed but not required.

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Mar 24, 2012 11:47PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19366 comments Where we started:

A: Her books are magic!
√ Katharina
Suzanne
√ Angieleigh

B: Raiding the bookshelves
√ Barbara
√ Dee
taita
Fran
KarenF
√ Sheila
√ Heather
√ BJ Rose
√ Ceej
√ Yz
mad4rombks
√ Patricia
√ Ann
√ Amanda
Nicola
Hina

C: Taggert, Montgomery... Who?
Vi
√ Leslie
Anna
√ Sassafrass
Jane
Valorie
√ MountainKat
√ Lynne
√ Kami
√ Dragana
Laura
Jade aka MrsTosh
√ Susan(q)
√ Cheryl
Terra
Mel
√ Joann
Roxy
Gen
√ Deyara
Catherine
√ Ashwaq

D: Perhaps I'll try one more rabbit hole...
√ ~KarenH~

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Apr 15, 2012 01:24AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19366 comments Where we finished:

A: 'Forever & Always'
Katharina (A) - The Maiden
Ceej (B) - Scarlet Nights
Dragana (C) - A Knight in Shining Armor
Ann (B) - Holly
Angieleigh (A) - Lost LadyCounterfeit Lady (James River #1)
Barbara (A) - Lavender Morning
Amanda (B) - The Velvet Promise
Cheryl (C) - A Knight in Shining Armor
Patricia (B) - Days of Gold
Heather (B) - The Black Lyon
Gigi (A) - Remembrance

B: When I'm looking for a 'Knight in Shining Armour'
~KarenH~ (D) - Temptation
BJ Rose (B) - Days of Gold
Kami (C) - Lavender Morning
Leslie (C) - The Black Lyon
Susan(q) (C) - The Raider
Yz (B) - The Black Lyon
MountainKat (C) - The Blessing
Lynne (C) - The Blessing
Deyara (C) - Lavender Morning
Ashwaq (C) - First Impressions
Joann (C) - The Black Lyon
Nicola (B) - First Impressions
Terra (C) - An Angel for Emily
Hina (B) - The Black Lyon
Anna (C) - The Conquest
Fran (B) - Simple Gifts: Just Curious / Miracles / Change of Heart / Double Exposure

C: 'Lost Lady'
Sassafrass (C) - The Black Lyon
Sheila (B) - The Black Lyon
Dee (B) - Secrets
Roxy (C) - The Black Lyon
Valorie (C) - Lavender Morning

The Maiden (Montgomery #1) by Jude Deveraux Temptation by Jude Deveraux Days of Gold (Edilean, #2) by Jude Deveraux Lavender Morning (Edilean, #1) by Jude Deveraux The Black Lyon (Montgomery #1) by Jude Deveraux Scarlet Nights (Edilean, #3) by Jude Deveraux The Black Lyon (Montgomery #1) by Jude Deveraux A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux Holly by Jude Deveraux The Raider by Jude Deveraux Lost Lady (James River, #2) by Jude Deveraux Counterfeit Lady (James River #1)  by Jude Deveraux The Black Lyon (Montgomery #1) by Jude Deveraux The Blessing by Jude Deveraux The Black Lyon (Montgomery #1) by Jude Deveraux Lavender Morning (Edilean, #1) by Jude Deveraux The Velvet Promise (Montgomery #2) by Jude Deveraux A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux The Blessing by Jude Deveraux Secrets by Jude Deveraux Days of Gold (Edilean, #2) by Jude Deveraux Lavender Morning (Edilean, #1) by Jude Deveraux First Impressions by Jude Deveraux The Black Lyon (Montgomery #1) by Jude Deveraux The Black Lyon (Montgomery #1) by Jude Deveraux Remembrance by Jude Deveraux First Impressions by Jude Deveraux An Angel for Emily by Jude Deveraux The Black Lyon (Montgomery #1) by Jude Deveraux The Black Lyon (Montgomery #1) by Jude Deveraux The Conquest (Peregrine #2) by Jude Deveraux Simple Gifts Just Curious / Miracles / Change of Heart / Double Exposure (Westmoreland, #3.5) by Judith McNaught Lavender Morning (Edilean, #1) by Jude Deveraux

message 4: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3550 comments I've read Jude Deveraux in the past and enjoyed her books but haven't read one in a few years so I'm a B. I will read Lavender Morning (Edilean, #1) by Jude Deveraux .

message 5: by Dee (last edited Feb 22, 2012 04:53AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments i'm not sure what i'm going to read, its been a while since I read anything, I would say i'm probably a B, only because I don't rush out to buy her stuff, but I will grab them from the library...right now i'm considering either Lavender Morning (Edilean, #1) by Jude Deveraux or Secrets by Jude Deveraux both of which my library has in audio and both work for the narrator challenge as new to me narrators

message 6: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments I haven't read her before. Could an experienced soul recommend one?

message 7: by ~Leslie~ (last edited Feb 22, 2012 06:24AM) (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments As many historical romances I've read in my lifetime, hard to believe I've never read this author. So I am a C and I will read The Black Lyon (Montgomery, #1) by Jude Deveraux

message 8: by Katharina (last edited Feb 22, 2012 11:23AM) (new)

Katharina | 802 comments If I only count her historicals I'm probably an A. The "James River trilogy" books and The Heiress were so far my least favorite of her historicals. Loved the other ones I've read The Raider (funny), The Taming (loved fire scene), The Duchess, The Black Lyon and of course her Velvet series.

I've tried some of her contemps but didn't care for them. But the best kissing scene I've ever read in any romance book is in the beginning of Sweet Liar. I didn't care much for the rest of that book but that scene was hot and it happens in the beginning of chapter 1 if your curious.

I've just read The Black Lyon (Montgomery #1) by Jude Deveraux in December and some websites list The Maiden (Montgomery #1) by Jude Deveraux as a sequel to it so that's probably the one I'll read. Not 100% sure yet.

Anna's Herding Cats (herdingcats-burningsoup) I'm a C. Have never read her before. At least that I can remember.

I'm going to read The Conquest (Peregrine, #2) by Jude Deveraux . It came in a mystery box of books I got a while back so I'll give it a go.

message 10: by Sassafrass (last edited Mar 08, 2012 04:26PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3236 comments I'm a C. But I have 2 of her books on my lifetime of books challenge, so I'm going to read:

The Black Lyon or The Velvet Promise

message 11: by taita (new)

taita I'm a B. Read The Black Lyon and thought it was just OK. I have 2 of her books on my actual bookshelf at home. Will be reading either:

A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux or Days of Gold by Jude Deveraux

message 12: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10936 comments I have only read one of her books, A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux and I loved it. I guess I am a B since I've never picked up any of her others and I read that one about 10 years ago.

I will probably read The Raider by Jude Deveraux .

message 13: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Feb 22, 2012 01:22PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19366 comments Well I'm putting myself down as a 'C'. I have read half of A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux but I put it down and didn't pick it up again (over 2 years ago). So I think that means I'm still a 'C'.

I'll either read Forever (Forever Trilogy, #1) by Jude Deveraux (in print) or The Blessing by Jude Deveraux / Scarlet Nights (Edilean, #3) by Jude Deveraux (in audio)

message 14: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 2218 comments I'm a C and will be listening to Lavender Morning (Edilean, #1) by Jude Deveraux

message 15: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19216 comments I'll give this a go, I am pretty sure I am a C. Maybe I read a short story in an anthology years ago, but I couldn't say for sure, so I am going to say C. And I have no clue what I am going to read - I'll have to do some checking before I decide.

message 16: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 1099 comments I'm in. I'm a B and I think I'll read The Raider by Jude Deveraux .

message 17: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lovetoreadgal) | 1151 comments I'm a "C". I'm not sure what I'll read. I'll check the local library and make a choice.

message 18: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 973 comments I'm in. I'm a 'C' and I will read Lavender Morning.

message 19: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (schmoozy) | 83 comments I'm in and a "B", although it has been a very long time since I have read one of her books.

I will read The Black Lyon (Montgomery, #1) by Jude Deveraux .

message 20: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19366 comments Hi everyone. I'm away on holidays until next Saturday 3 March. I don't imagine that there will be any questions, so Happy Reading, and I'll catch up with everyone in a week or so :)

message 21: by Dragana (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) @Jane: have a nice time on your vacation. :)

I'm totally new to this author.

I have one question for more experienced Jude Deveraux fans: Should books from Montgomery series read in order or it is not mandatory?
(I noticed that they are arranged in different order than they are chronologically written and that a lot of people read just random books from this series...)

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura | 169 comments im C and will be reading First Impressions by Jude Deveraux

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathermb) | 48 comments Like several people in here I'm very familiar with her work (two I've even given my rare 5-star) but I haven't read anything from her in a while so I'll say I'm a B. I'm giving The Black Lyon a shot.

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathermb) | 48 comments Dragana wrote: "Should books from Montgomery series read in order..."

From what I've read of her books they are all very able to stand-alone, you could probably read them in reverse order and not lose anything in the doing. The only books of hers that I would say SHOULD probably be read in order are the Forever books and The Summerhouse books and even then you could muddle along nicely.

message 25: by Jade aka MrsTosh (last edited Feb 25, 2012 02:35AM) (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) I am in Cat C, haven't read her before but I will give it a go :)

i am going to read Highland Velvet (Montgomery, #3) by Jude Deveraux

message 26: by Susan (susayq ~) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 720 comments I'm in and I'm a C. I'm either going to read The Black Lyon (Montgomery #1) by Jude Deveraux or The Raider by Jude Deveraux

message 27: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 4413 comments I'm a B. I recently read Lavender Morning so I'll try for Days of Gold

message 28: by Ceej (new)

Ceej (drqangel) | 1015 comments A B and will read Scarlet Nights

message 29: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Feb 23, 2012 04:43PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 6810 comments Ok, I'm in, but starting as a "D". I read A Knight in Shining Armor years ago after a family member absolutely raved about it - and I hated it. I hated the ending so much that I made a point to avoid books by Jude Deveraux for years. I did eventually read one more of her books, but while I didn't hate the second one (and I don't even remember for sure which one it was) it was just okay, and there was nothing about it to convince me to try again. I'll give it one more try though - don't know yet what I'm going to read, it will depend on what's available from the library.

message 30: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) I'm a C but I have some her books on my TBR list. I will be reading A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux .

message 31: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10936 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Ok, I'm in, but starting as a "D". I read A Knight in Shining Armor years ago after a family member absolutely raved about it - and I hated it. I hated the ending so much that I made..."

That book sure does have a controversial ending!

message 32: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I know I have read her books like a long time ago because some of the titles are very familiar. However, I cannot remember most of the storylines, but just have a general impression that I sorta like her writing. So I'm going to put myself down as a B.

Not sure yet what to read for this challenge.

message 33: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6810 comments Fran wrote: "That book sure does have a controversial ending!"

Yes, it does, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground - it's pretty much love it or hate it.

message 34: by mad4rombks (new)

mad4rombks | 15 comments I'm a B and not sure yet what I'll read. Have to look through the TBR.

message 35: by Terra (last edited Mar 25, 2012 06:37PM) (new)

Terra (skibunny84) I am a c and will be reading An Angel for Emily by Jude Deveraux .

message 36: by Mel (new)

Mel | 14 comments I've heard great things about this author but have never picked up one of her books. I'm a C and will be reading The Raider by Jude Deveraux

message 37: by Joann (new)

Joann | 973 comments I'm a C and will read The Black Lyon (Montgomery, #1) by Jude Deveraux .

message 38: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Solla (tedebear1998) | 244 comments I'm in. Make me a B. Not sure what I'm reading yet.

message 39: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lovetoreadgal) | 1151 comments I’ve decided to read The Blessing. Again, I’m a “C”. I actually don’t know much about this book. But, I got it on Audio from the Library so I can use it for the Audio Challenge as well. I’m all about double-dipping!

message 40: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxym) | 208 comments I'm a C. I have The Black Lyon in my library queue, so I will try it!

message 41: by Gen (new)

Gen (gen454) | 282 comments I'm a C and I'll read The Black Lyon.

message 42: by Ann (Noumena12) (last edited Feb 28, 2012 07:21AM) (new)

Ann (Noumena12) (noumena12) | 126 comments I'm reading Hollyand I'm a B

message 43: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2049 comments I'm in and I'm an A!!

message 44: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (kittiescardigansbooks) | 60 comments I'm in - I swear I've read her before, but can't remember which book, but I'll still consider myself a B.

message 45: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6810 comments I finished Temptation this morning, and was actually pleasantly surprised - of course, my expectations were pretty low. ;) The story was entertaining, but I though the ending was very weak. I started as a D, and will upgrade to a B, although a low B because I've had issues (some more than others) with the ending of every one of her books that I've read.

message 46: by Deyara (new)

Deyara | 60 comments I'm a C and I will try Lavender Morning (Edilean, #1) by Jude Deveraux

message 47: by Katharina (new)

Katharina | 802 comments Just finished The Maiden (Montgomery #1) by Jude Deveraux and liked it. Still an A for her historicals.

message 48: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 4413 comments Finished Days of Gold (Edilean, #2) by Jude Deveraux - started a 'B' & remain a 'B'

I usually read series books in order, but in this series Deveraux alternates between contemporary & historical. Since book #1 Lavender Morning is a contemporary, I then skipped to #3 Scarlet Nights to continue the contemporary story/characters in Edilean, the town. With Days of Gold, we begin the backstory of Edilean, the woman - and it looks like book #4, The Scent of Jasmine, continues that backstory, so sometimes it's beneficial to have a series be well-developed before I begin it - I'm very happy with my 'skipping' decision.

message 49: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 973 comments I finished Lavender Morning. I liked it and I gave it four stars, but I am not in a huge hurry to get any more books in this series. I have so many other books that I would rather read first. I started a 'C' and I finish a 'B'.

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (shortie357) | 103 comments I'm a B. I use to read her work all the time and haven't read anything by her in a while. I think I am going to read a book in the Velvet series. The Velvet Promise (Montgomery #2) by Jude Deveraux Highland Velvet (Montgomery, #3) by Jude Deveraux Velvet Song (Montgomery, #4) by Jude Deveraux and/or Velvet Angel (Montgomery, #5) by Jude Deveraux

« previous 1