What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Novel Black South African Teenager "passes" for white. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 11 comments This would've been from the 80's. The boy might've been albino. He shaves his head so his curly hair doesn't give him away as being black.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
I did a search on albino and South Africa and teenager, and this book came up: Because Pula Means Rain

message 3: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 11 comments No, that book was published too recently, I read this one as a kids so it would have to be at least 20 years old.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38146 comments Mod
Brooke, are you still looking for this book? Any idea if the book was published in South Africa, or in some other country like U.S., Canada, Britain? (which?) Do you remember anything about the cover?

message 5: by Debra (new)

Debra B. (ipreferdebbieinsteadofdebra) Icy Sparks Maybe Icy Sparks?

message 6: by Brooke (last edited Oct 04, 2013 10:11PM) (new)

Brooke | 11 comments Hi again,

I still haven't found this book. It definitely wasn't Icy Sparks.

I don't know if it was published in South Africa or elsewhere. I would have got it from a public or school library in the USA so I would say it was most likely published in the US?

I'm fairly certain it would've been categorized as a "YA" novel. I suppose it's possible the book wasn't actually set in South Africa but was instead a "dystopian" sort of story. Maybe I just made the link to Apartheid in my mind? I do remember the main character being very afraid of being caught by authorities, and that he feared for his life.

It's still driving me crazy! I recently found a book called Caucasia which rang some bells but this was published later and also was about girls not a boy.

message 7: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Brooke, you stated that the book was a dystopian. Do you remember any other dystopian/fantasy/sci-fi elements in the book?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Brooke, still looking?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response. Moving to Abandoned.

message 10: by Brooke (last edited Feb 19, 2017 10:17PM) (new)

Brooke | 11 comments The notification from this prompted me to do another quick search. I think it might be this one: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

The cover looks familiar and he has a bald head which is something I specifically remembered.

Oddly, this book seems to be written from the girlfriend's perspective but I remember it more from the boy's. It's out of print and doesn't seem to have any digital versions anywhere. Too bad, I'd love to read it again!

message 11: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
Moved this thread to the Unsolved folder.

Please let us know if Skindeep by Toeckey Jones is your book.

message 12: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 11 comments I think we can call it Solved. I am almost certain this is it. :)