Discussions > The Map of Time

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kelley (allhailsnape) | 23 comments Mod
Use this post to Discuss:

NO SPOILERS UNTIL FEB 28TH PLEASE

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy O'Toole (temporaryworlds) Keeping things spoiler free (for now), what were your overall impressions? I thought it was a good book with a lot of neat ideas in it. At the same time, it could be really slow. There were pages and pages of back story that I wish the author had cut. At the same time, you could argue that a big bulky book is rather apt considering the fact that it was basically a Victorian novel.

Any thoughts on the pacing or anything else?

And on a shallow note. I LOVE the cover.

message 3: by Cassy (new)

Cassy (natalia173) | 14 comments Honestly, I think that it had a lot of potential that it just didn't live up to. I wish he had cut out the first two sections and made the entire book about the third section.

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice (alicetheowl) | 18 comments I liked the middle section best, but I remarked in my review that it felt like three novellas loosely stitched together. Had I read them all separately, I probably would've liked them. But the way this thing was packaged irritated me.

It was an interesting concept, but I felt like the potential coolness was wasted on poor execution. There wasn't a single aspect I hadn't read elsewhere or seen in a movie, and I don't read things to read a regurgitation of other things I've read.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy O'Toole (temporaryworlds) I liked parts of all three sections, although I probably liked the third part the best. It seemed like each section just had too much padding. One thing I did enjoy was seeing the way that each section ended up being linked to the others.

message 6: by Tabetha (new)

Tabetha C (cdnteacherlady) I have to admit it - I will not be finishing this novel in time for the full-force discussion. Work was really busy this month, but I do want to finish it.

From what I've read, I have enjoyed the novel so far! Currently, it feels like one long character study, with a plot in the background. Character studies always take me longer to read, as they always have quite a bit more information than plot-based novels.

From what people have said, it seems to be split up into sections, and people are preferring the third. I can't say that I'm there yet, but I'm assuming I'll agree with everyone when I get there.

So, just a question to put out there: do you feel the third section would have been as strong if you didn't know everything you did about the characters that you read in section one and two?

message 7: by Alice (new)

Alice (alicetheowl) | 18 comments As one in the minority of hating the last section . . . I think it was because of what I already knew about Wells that made me feel like I was slogging through hoping someone would punch him right in the face.

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy O'Toole (temporaryworlds) I think the first two sections are necessary for setting the pieces in place for the third act. Granted, I don't think you needed to know EVERYTHING about the characters.

Glad you're enjoying it so far Tabetha! I think what I enjoyed the most was the fact that the writing could be quite lovely. Whoever did the translation did quite a good job.

Did anyone here read it in the original Spanish, or did we all read the English translation?

message 9: by Tabetha (new)

Tabetha C (cdnteacherlady) It was all English translation for me - I'm not skilled with the Spanish. :(

message 10: by Cassy (last edited Feb 28, 2012 12:28PM) (new)

Cassy (natalia173) | 14 comments I just want to point out that it's spoiler day. :)

(It's also free pancake day at iHop, but I feel that's probably irrelevant to this conversation.)

message 11: by Nancy (new)

Nancy O'Toole (temporaryworlds) Free pancakes are always relevant!

message 12: by Cassy (new)

Cassy (natalia173) | 14 comments SPOILERS AHOY!--------->Ok, so was I the only one who secretly wanted Wells to time travel? I mean, I hate that he gave up his whole family. Also, I think it would have been a much better book had we gotten to see Well's adventures that were described in the letter. I think that I would have enjoyed that more than plodding through characters that really had no purpose by the end of the book.

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy O'Toole (temporaryworlds) Cassy- I'll admit it, part of me wanted that! I think the idea of the book being Wells adventures instead of what it was is kind of a neat one, that I haven't thought about.

So say he decided to active his time traveling powers. I have to wonder if that would have ended up creating a whole other alternate time line as he KNEW about some of the events that were coming up, leading him to make different decisions.

As a side note, I thought the idea of a library existing at the beginning of time to keep track of inconsistencies was a pretty good one (although I'm not sure how you'd define beginning of time- did the book ever go into detail about that? I don't remember).