Urban Fantasy discussion

OTHER TOPICS > Help: Horror vs Urban Fantasy vs Dark Fantasy etc.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry James (mondragoran) | 25 comments I have been trying to figure out the appropriate genre category/ies for my e-book (for Amazon sales, Facebook ads targeting certain interest groups, review requests, etc.). Generally, I describe it as an "apocalyptic urban fantasy," but sometimes I'm forced to choose between certain options.

So which of the usual forced categories (HORROR, URBAN FANTASY, DARK FANTASY, OCCULT/SUPERNATURAL or OTHER) do you all think would best describe a work of fiction that is 160K words, has serious violence/gore but not gratuitously or continuously, centers around an apocalypse/Antichrist story (but within an alternative mythology rather than using the Christian story-i.e., the gods and other entities are not The God or The Devil), is based mostly in Seattle and has some of that "the city as a character" flavor, has lots of supernatural entities (near-immortal human sorcerer, revenant, demons, etc.) but NO vampires/werewolves/zombies/ghosts, has some sex but nothing approaching the amount of sex/romance in a "paranormal romance," and has both magical and non-magical fight scenes? The main character is the Antichrist character but he is also the hero (trying to stop the apocalypse) and is undead after about chapter 3. I can't even list it as "post-apocalyptic" because that won't be accurate until the sequel lol.

Alternatively, if anyone wants to nominate some other books that fit into the same non-category, I'll just make an Amazon Listmania list for those books and hope people stumble onto it that way. :)

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Stec (thegratefulundead) | 95 comments Here are a few more suggestions I got off Amazon when I typed in Apocalyptic books and Apocalypse.

post-apocalyptic
dystopian fiction
science fantasy
urban fantasy
paranormal
edge of your seat

~~You can also tag Kindle store, Kindle books.

I have the same problem with mine. There are soooo many categories out there today. But like Jag is suggesting, you'd want a popular tag, one that others would go to first, yet not the biggest list or you'll get lost like a minnow in a large pond. LOL

Susan Stec

message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry James (mondragoran) | 25 comments I tagged the heck out of it with everything I could think of. I think "Fantasy-Horror" is one of the categories it's in now.

message 4: by Cloey.k (new)

Cloey.k (cloeyk) | 20 comments @Barry your book sounds interesting I would like to know more... it sounds like something I would like to read.

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry James (mondragoran) | 25 comments Thanks. I don't want to turn this into a promotion thread, so I won't put the synopsis, etc., here, but you can read more at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dreams-of-Darkn....