The Sword and Laser discussion

Throne of the Crescent Moon (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #1)
This topic is about Throne of the Crescent Moon
What Else Are You Reading? > Throne of the Crescent Moon -- splinter group!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bree (breeatlast) | 52 comments First impressions to start y'all off!

1) Demon hunters are always win.
2) The writing style is extremely accessible, without seeming unintelligent. I found myself at 10% after a single bus rise!
3) So, we get gruesome beasties right off the bat. I keep picturing the jackal-headed undead sand demons from the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time game and the bosses in some of the later releases. Scary.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this yesterday.

It was a pretty decent read.

I liked the jibing at the tea house at the beginning. Set a nice tone for Adoulla.

Been | 125 comments Just finished the book and quite enjoyed it. It wasn't the sort of story to make my jaw hit the ground and start babbling to everyone about how amazing it was, but it was hardly a bad read. The only real issue I had with it was that I felt the final showdown when (view spoiler)

But overall when I enjoyed it. Not sure I'll be clamouring to get my hands on the sequel when it's released, but I wouldn't say no if I get the chance to read it later on.

message 4: by Jerry (new) - added it

Jerry Gaiser | 22 comments Not finished yet, but mostly I'll have to agree with Been. Decent read, a few places felt contrived, I'll see how it ends before I decide about the sequel.

Been | 125 comments Looks like Patrick Rothfuss was reading this too. He seems to have liked it.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 6: by Kam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kam (kam_martinez) | 59 comments I'm just ridiculously happy with the choice of setting. I've already brought this up in the Locke Lamora discussion about Renaissance vs. Medieval fantasy settings, but part of the reason why I pounced on this book was because it was set in a world based on the Arabian Nights.

Delighted fangirl squealing over the setting aside, I do have to say that some parts were a wee bit off to some degree, but I'm chalking this up to being the first book in the series, but also to the fact that this appears to be the author's first novel, since as far as I know Ahmed's been writing mostly short stories.