The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

Year of Wonders
This topic is about Year of Wonders
Books > Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

April Lyn (aprilallyear) A couple of us are going to start a buddy read for this book this weekend if anyone else wants to join. I have such an overwhelming dusty book list that I decided to pick a relatively short one for starters!

Anyone else want to read with Katrina & I?

Anyone already read this and have [non-spoiler] thoughts? Just curious.

Jeremy (venemy) | 1 comments Loved it. Page turner, great heroine; grotesque, endearing, surprising. Enjoy! :-)

message 3: by Mindy (new) - added it

Mindy McGinnis Agreed. I very much loved this book. And without spoiling anything, I'll say that there was a linchpin moment that I just went, "WHAT? What just happened?!?!?"

She's a fantastic writer. You'll enjoy it!

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Excellent. That's so encouraging to hear. I know Oprah liked it, but she and I are not always of the same opinion. har har ;)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) It is a page-turner! I only just started it on my lunch break today and I only made it to page 47 but I love it so far! :) Very happy that I chose such a quick easy book as my first challenge.

message 6: by Daleen (new)

Daleen Berry Given our shared journalism background (and your reviews--the linchpin moment, indeed--how can I not read Brooks' book? Wish I could join you this weekend, but the two books I just ordered have arrived and I'm determined to finish them before starting another.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 63 comments Just put a hold on it at my library. Hopefully it will be here next week.

message 8: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly vasquez Barrett (crazy4reading) Would love to but I don't own it . Checked. price for kindle 12.99 so out of my price range(sigh)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Kelly wrote: "Would love to but I don't own it . Checked. price for kindle 12.99 so out of my price range(sigh)"

Ah.. I hate that. I have been rather disappointed with the affordable selection of Kindle books since I've gotten mine for Christmas this past year. Much cheaper to go to half-price books and purchase there. :S

Well, there is a reader's guide in the back of my copy, so I'll just make sure that once I'm finished I use html to hide any spoilers in the thread. That way for those of you who want to read it in a week or two you can join the conversation at your leisure.

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 63 comments That's why I like my libraries so much. Makes books so much more accessible, and usually I don't mind waiting. Otherwise, I drive up to the Acadia University about 45 minutes away, or visit one of the used book stores in my area.

Katrina  (echosashes) Here I am! I'll start it in the morning. Looking forward to it!

message 12: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly vasquez Barrett (crazy4reading) I think I will try the library if I don't have to wait to long for a copy maybe I will join in.

Carol | 9 comments Read it earlier this month, great book. Based on a real village it can get you thinking........

message 14: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz (hissheep) One of my faves! Just finished Caleb's Crossing by Brooks -- didn't top Year of Wonders but came close ...

April Lyn (aprilallyear) My general opinion of the book with NO spoilers below.

I finished this a couple days ago... I really liked it. I was surprised to see that there are a lot of reviews that said they hated the ending. Did anyone else feel that way? I mean, I know the book took a completely different turn and some of the characters did "unexpected" things, but I don't know if the book would have been as good if it'd been the predictable ending. The only issue for me was that it (the last 50 pages or so) was SO unexpected that I think I got a bit confused at parts. As I get older I have a tendency to miss things that aren't obvious :P

Ending aside, the writing is just beautiful. I didn't want to put this book down. I can't believe there are people who thought it was a slow read. Huh.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) I read the book several years ago. Rated it 4****. I thought the writing was wonderful and enjoyed the book immensely ... until the ending, which I felt was contrived. I would have preferred a more ambiguous ending, i.e. not knowing what happens to them.

By the way ... I'm adhering to the no spoilers spirit, even though I feel that once discussion of a book begins there should be no holds barred. Anyone reading the discussion thread should be prepared for spoilers. It's the same with going to a F2F book group discussion when you haven't read the book. You can't expect everyone else to refrain from fully discussing the book (including the ending) because you haven't finished it. JMHO

message 17: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) | 491 comments Mod
I'm just browsing through the unread topics I still have going on and was wondering; With the aim not to spoil the book for folks still reading, would it not be an idea maybe to use a < spoiler> < /spoiler> thing if you'd like to talk about your thoughts but not worry about revealing something?

That way people who have read it can read them and those who haven't have the choice not to :)

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 63 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I read the book several years ago. Rated it 4****. I thought the writing was wonderful and enjoyed the book immensely ... until the ending, which I felt was contrived. I would have preferred a mo..."

I agree with you. I just got the book from the library, but I'm still following this discussion, regardless of spoilers. I feel that I might get more out of reading the story if I'm aware of what others have said about a particular section, but always reserve my right to my opinion. :)

Katrina  (echosashes) I enjoyed reading this book. I had to put it down a few times, but I feel that all in all it was a quick read. It was a heartbreaking read at times, but I loved the strength that was brought forth in the main character. I really liked the ending. It was unexpected but emphasized how hardship can change people for better and for worse.

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Katrina wrote: "I enjoyed reading this book. I had to put it down a few times, but I feel that all in all it was a quick read. It was a heartbreaking read at times, but I loved the strength that was brought forth ..."

Good conclusion :)

Katrina  (echosashes) April wrote: "Katrina wrote: "I enjoyed reading this book. I had to put it down a few times, but I feel that all in all it was a quick read. It was a heartbreaking read at times, but I loved the strength that wa..."

Thank You. Sorry I wasn't able to read it at the same time. My little guy came exactly on his due date and we have been pretty busy! :)