Indignation Indignation discussion

The climax?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What would you say is the climax in this novel? Is it the first time he goes to Dean's office? Is it the riot at the end? What do you guys thing? And why?

Magda Let's see... Is there really a climax? if there is one...
Following the title and the general theme of the narration, the boy is really angry almost from the begining. From the critical decision to move away through the end he lets his angry feelings get from worse to worst. So indignation never stops growing.
According to this reasoning, the climax of his story is at the time he dies...
But if with climax you're asking for my personal interpretation, the most powerful scene, for me, is at the time when he is at the hospital visited by his mother. There, all this turbulence and confusion deflate; there is a great contrast between what happens five minutes ago and present time. There we see a chance of redemption that never comes. And, of course, the games roth plots with the butcher and the "simple life lessons"...just because they are funny, excellent!

Maryam Castiel Idjit wrote: "What would you say is the climax in this novel? Is it the first time he goes to Dean's office? Is it the riot at the end? What do you guys thing? And why?"

all events in this book seems connected, i doubt that there was a goal to show any climax in this novel.

the way i see it, it's that the author tried to show how the attitude of Marcus simply destroyed his life. It's not the things that happened to him, but his attitude, constant need to fight the inevitable, instead of shutting up and doing your thing. and everything that happened to him was a prove to that, the way he ran away from parents without putting much thought on the choice of university, or sticking to the first girl he met, or engaging himself in meaningless debates with a dean (not totally meaningless, but he should have guessed that noone cares for his opinion), he simply couldn't take things easy, and it killed him.