In Defense of Food / Vegetarian / Vegan discussion

General > Vegetarians meals

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria (Maryaha) | 2 comments Anyone knows any vegetarian meal that are pratical?

message 2: by Leandra (last edited Mar 08, 2012 06:50AM) (new)

Leandra | 1 comments I believe we just have to think of things that just 'happen' to be vegetarian and we don't even think about it. For example: pasta with added veggies and cheese, served with a crusty baugette with butter. Pizza! Yummy soups (which can sometimes also just so happen to be vegan. I particularly always loved minestrone, but just make sure chicken broth isn't used). Also omelets, scrambled eggs, frittatas are delicious. And, who doesn't love some mac & cheese?? Sometimes our favorites foods just so happen to also be vegetarian.

These are foods I've always loved before I even knew what vegetarianism was. So I think it's good to think of it like that sometimes.

I am not fully vegetarian as of yet, but am in the process. I know there are different kinds of vegetarianism, but in general I believe vegetarians simply don't eat meat. But they will eat honey, dairy and eggs (meaning the cheese and butter mentioned above are suitable for vegetarians). Now if you meant a vegan meal that means NO ANIMAL products whatsoever, then it requires a bit more thought. I would suggest a vegan cookbook I recently purchased. I looked through all the recipes and they look fabulous. It's called Happy Herbivore by Lindsay Nixon.

message 3: by Kellybiney (new)

Kellybiney | 1 comments I am a big fan of soups! You can do vegetarian chile with different types of beans, tomatoes, and spices! You can add brown rice, or any other grain easily into the soups, or keep them on the side. It's good to always have veggies, whole grains (a rice cooker comes in really handy if you are doing brown rice) and a type of protein like beans, or something like tempeh. But actually some veggies actually have a substantial amount of protein in them. Happy cooking!

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim Gross Foster | 1 comments If you are looking for a great Vegan cookbook; I have one called "Veganomicon" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero. Lots of great ideas, instructions and prep ideas.....I have never been able to maintain veganism, or vegetarianism, but I have added a lot more meals to our repetoire by using the cookbook.

Michael Pollan's Food Rules has really guided me towards better food choices as well...lots of great common sense "rules" about food in one little book!

Enjoy!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (mrsbrightside61) | 1 comments It all depends on what you consider practical. Here are some meals I enjoy that are simple to make:
Breakfast:
Yogurt with granola or cereal
Oatmeal with berries, nuts, or nut butter
Tofu scramble
Greek yogurt with peanut butter
Smoothies with soymilk, bananas, and anything else you like

Lunch:
Salads with beans, nuts, or tofu
PB&J sandwiches
Soup
Hummus + veggies
Sandwiches with veggie meat

Dinner:
Chili, with either just beans, or with veggie ground
Burgers, with veggie burger or portobella mushrooms
Beans and potatoes

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

A book about animal rights and veganism. If you want, you can help me with the realization of this project, through donating, sharing the page, telling others etc. Go there and have a look :)
http://www.indiegogo.com/thebreathofe...

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha Smith (tempo) Mary McDougall has a healthy cookbook of vegan 100% practical recipes that you can put together in 5 to 15 minutes. It's called "The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook." I love her Cilantro Soup. I make it once a week!

message 8: by Sipiwe (last edited Feb 22, 2013 02:48AM) (new)

Sipiwe Mashingaidze (httpwwwgoodreadscomsipiwemashie) | 1 comments I wrote and published a book called Destiny Mastery 1: Start With Your Health. It is the first in the series called Master of Your Destiny.

The book explains what is healthy to eat and why, what is unhealthy to eat, and why. It also explains why certain lifestyle choices have contributed to so much sickness in the society. It touches on childhood obesity and other children's health issues, which parents can have control over. In essence, the book says 'Take control of your health because no one else will and if you don't do it, do not be surprised if the body eventually breaks down and you have a lifestyle disease like cancer, high blood pressure, heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, Crohn's disease, diverticulitis, IBS, etc. By the time the doctor diagnoses these diseases it could be too late."

The book is available as amazon.com kindle edition on http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A50G1XU

message 9: by Martha (new)

Martha Smith (tempo) I am practical and I do not spend much time in the kitchen. The most practical way to eat is raw. Blend up a smoothie, juice or make a large salad. My favorite quick recipe is juicing 1 pound of baby kale with 24 oz of fresh blueberries. This is a powerhouse breakfast in under 4 minutes. I use the Omega 8006 juicer from discountjuicers.com

message 10: by Armand (last edited May 06, 2014 09:02AM) (new)

Armand Chauvel (armandchauvel) | 1 comments The Green and the Red by Armand Chauvel In my vegetarian novel, The Green and The Red, published a few days ago by Ashland Creek Press (Oregon) and translated by Elisabeth Lyman, a romantic comedy between a carnivore and a vegetarian, I write among things about that issue: how, us, veggies or vegans can manage to find and cook the kind of food we precisely need in an omnivorous world. Quite tricky sometimes, at least where I live, Spain, and in my country,France ! By the way, I love Lindsay Nixon's books about plant based cooking; recipes are quite easy and delicious !

In Defense of Food / Vegetarian / Vegan

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Green and the Red (other topics)