The Sword and Laser discussion

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
This topic is about The Lies of Locke Lamora
2012 Reads > TLOLL: Venice?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vance (new) - added it

Vance | 362 comments It seems fairly clear that we are meant to imagine Venice to some extent, but then there are these alien constructs thrown into the mix. What is your visualization of the city? For me, it is just that: Venice circa 1600 with these tall glass spires and bridges simply added on.

message 2: by Vance (new) - added it

Vance | 362 comments I think the book cover here gives a better feel for the setting:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/86...

Gregory Lynn (gregory_lynn) I can't picture Venice without remembering the two things that stood out from my visit.

It reeked of garbage tossed in the canals.

In the piazza San Marco there was a guy who had an umbrella concession due to the proliferation of pigeons.

message 4: by Vance (new) - added it

Vance | 362 comments Rasputin wrote: "I can't picture Venice without remembering the two things that stood out from my visit.

In the piazza San Marco there was a guy who had an umbrella conc..."

LA, LA, LA, I can't hear you . . . . I have a vision of Venice which I am sure is entirely out of sync with reality, and I am happy to leave it that way! :0) And, that is the great thing about fantasy inspired by real places, the author can take the flavor and style and leave out all the bits that don't fit. (although there are parts of Camorra which might smell just as bad as the reality of modern Venice!)

message 5: by Warren (last edited Feb 21, 2012 08:46PM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments I agree with your vision of the Locke's.
After reading the first few chapters I though they miss spelled Lock's in the title. As Rasputin said the lock's overseas are better seen then smelled. At least from the ones I saw in Asia. Of course the same could be said of some of our waterways.
Hold your nose.Take a picture and tell the driver to go faster.
I've only been to southern Italy so I can't give a true
smell-oh-meter comparison. I think the smell would
actually match with this story.

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I have a really clear idea of Venice in my mind as the only town that didn't suck on a six week drive around Europe with my family. (Parents, driving from Dublin to the Peloponnese with your 14 year old daughter is not a recipe for family harmony.)

So, while Camorr reminds me of Venice as I have encountered it in fiction and history books it doesn't actually jive with the city as I remember it, which is all impressionistic smears of pigeons, stone, Commedia dell'Arte, and men selling roses.

message 7: by Devin (new)

Devin (daihmon) | 19 comments Well the idea of the proliferation of pigeons, or birds in general, is emphasized in an alternate cover to the book. It features tall - likely glass - spires, rounded buttresses, and lots...lots of birds.

I'll admit I am not far into the book yet so I do not have a clear pictures of the setting in my mind; but I certainly would mind visually picturing Venice. LOL

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I've always just pictured Venice with weird glass spires.

Phil On The Hill (philonthehillexon) | 245 comments Bigger than Venice

message 10: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Hansford | 52 comments I'm going to describe the setting as "take Venice and make it the size of ancient Rome." The city reminds me of Ankh-Morpork in an odd way. Maybe I just want to see Commander Vimes taking on Locke.

message 11: by Vance (new) - added it

Vance | 362 comments Ah, Vimes v. Locke would be awesome!

message 12: by Noel (last edited Feb 23, 2012 02:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noel Baker | 364 comments Vance wrote: "Rasputin wrote: "I can't picture Venice without remembering the two things that stood out from my visit.

In the piazza San Marco there was a guy who had..."

Vance, for what it's worth, Venice remains a truly spectacular , memorable and atmospheric place. If you visit, you will not be disappointed.

message 13: by Erik (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erik (aerik) | 43 comments Oh, man, I totally get the Ankh-Morpork vibe, with one key difference: I always picture Ankh-Morpork being in daylight, and I always picture Camorr as it stands at night.

Gregory Lynn (gregory_lynn) My prior commentary should not be taken to mean that Venice isn't an awesome place to visit.

Because it was.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2502 comments Vance wrote: "I think the book cover here gives a better feel for the setting:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/86..."

Or this one:
The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastards, #1) by Scott Lynch . Any except the purple and white one shown on the S&L currently reading page. These two are good examples of a detailed painting cover adding something to the book rather than making it a 'meh' forgettable cover.

message 16: by aldenoneil (new) - added it

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Adrienne wrote: "I actually prefer the purple and white cover, but I tend to like covers that are simpler and don't depict actual scenes from the book."

I was going to post the same thing. The first version of The Hobbit I read featured an oil painting of someone that looked like a shaven Oliver Hardy with curly hair in a cape. Pleasant enough to look at, but the depiction colored my interpretation of what a hobbit looked like, and I would have rather approached the story with a blank slate.

message 17: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Hansford | 52 comments Ok, I stole this off Reddit, and it isn't Venice, but it is a beautiful picture of Italy. I for one am going to take a deep breath an imagine that Camorr looks something like this.
http://i.imgur.com/FFoBw.jpg

message 18: by Esther (new) - added it

Esther (eshchory) I've been to Venice twice: once in the 1970s and once in the 1980s.
The first time I was a child and I adored the place. I loved my trip on a Gondola including a singing gondolier and St Mark's place was impressive.
The second time I was a grumpy teenager on a loong road trip with my parents. Despite an excess of German tourists on the Lido and a row with my mother on the ferry over I still adored the place.
However, they do need to take hints from London's Trafalgar Square about how to get rid of those pigeons.

message 19: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimsfekas) | 2 comments Adrian wrote: "When I first started this book I couldn't easily picture the city honestly, but now after playing through Assassin's Creed 2 (and it's runty children, but mostly 2) I have a pretty clear image in m..."

I had a similar take on this, except that I played Assassin's Creed 2 first. I visualize Camorr as some combination of my own experience with Venice and Florence and the versions of those cities in AC2. (For what it's worth, I think I read that the AC people try very hard for historical accuracy in the layouts of the cities they create.)

message 20: by Clay (new) - rated it 2 stars

Clay Hartman (ovejas) | 3 comments I definitely saw Venice at first as well. There were also a couple of points in the book where he describes the city as being made up of islands. This combined with the tall glass spires had me thinking New York. In the end I had a picture that had elements of both cities but was HEAVILY fantasy-ized.