The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > S&L Game Club

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbetts) The thread about classic S&L games got me thinking. For awhile now, I have been looking for a good game club - same idea as a book club, only with video games. I have run into a few over the years. 1UP FM's Game Club many years ago, which was lost in a layoff spree at 1UP.com, and currently Fangamer Game Club. I enjoy the latter, and am currently playing Okami along with them (I'm a little behind), but the hosts on the corresponding podcast are not my favorites, and forum discussion is fairly low. So I'm still looking for a different option.

So I have two questions.

1) Does anyone have a game club recommendation, preferably one that involves a podcast, for one that already exists?
2) Barring the above, or in spite of it, would any S&L members be interested in running an unofficial game club? Probably just on the forum for now, though a podcast is always a possibility. We can keep to the S&L theme, make our selections via a poll, etc, and basically just play a game for a month (or two, depending on the length) and discuss it together, much like we do with our off picks.

I know there a number of gaming fans here, so I think something like this could be fun!

message 2: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Matheson (tanstaafl) | 31 comments There's the Vintage Game Club - http://www.vintagegameclub.org/

It's a spinoff from the Brainy Gamer podcast - http://www.brainygamer.com/

They tend to focus more on "classic" game than whatever the current hot thing is though.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbetts) Thanks for the link. Looks like they not very active at the moment though.

message 4: by Poly (new)

Poly (xenphilos) Kotaku has a game club going (with Portal 2 co-op at the moment), but I'm not a fan of Kotaku's community or moderation.

message 5: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I love the idea of a game club, but my gaming tends to be so irregular I could never keep up with a group playthrough. Still, I've long been searching for a place to discuss games in general, meaning games I've already played.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Make V start a club for her new gaming podcast.

message 7: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments aldenoneil wrote: "I love the idea of a game club, but my gaming tends to be so irregular I could never keep up with a group playthrough. Still, I've long been searching for a place to discuss games in general, meaning games I've already played. "

Wow do I sympathize with this. I have ambitions of gaming. I buy games. I think about the games I'll play when I'm at work. And then I get home and have no time, or no motivation to sit in front of a screen. :\

On that note, maybe I should FINALLY go back to playing ChronoTrigger?

message 8: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
I'd be up for such a club if it got rolling here (or as a Game On! hybrid).

message 9: by aldenoneil (last edited Feb 22, 2012 09:17PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments terpkristin wrote: "On that note, maybe I should FINALLY go back to playing ChronoTrigger?"

Ha. Speaking of Chrono Trigger (though I know it's a DS re-release so it could count as fairly recent) I'm a good two or three years behind what everyone else is playing.

I'm a retro gamer, often without meaning to be.

message 10: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Also, we're already in the TV, Movies and Games section, so perhaps the club we want has been here all along. It's just a subforum club.

We could develop a secret handshake to go along with the official S&L one, if that would make it more official.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbetts) Yeah the subforum club has always been there, but I'm thinking of a more purposeful, "Let's all play this game and talk about it."

If we were to do it, I think it'd make sense to choose older but still easy-to-obtain games. Like Chrono Trigger, or something we could get on Steam or GOG for cheap (or free).

message 12: by Napoez3 (new)

Napoez3 | 158 comments I don't know if I can be part of a game club... I have Space Marine 40K for 2 months and I haven't install it yet, but I like the idea of a Steam group for S&L... (if there isn't one yet)

message 13: by John (new)

John Utech (johnutech) | 10 comments Realm of the Mad God. It is free (via both the web AND Steam) and you get to form your own 8-bit angry flash mobs!

message 14: by Israel (new)

Israel | 80 comments I'm constantly behind the times on games but will join in if this gets off the ground. All the recent talk about Mass Effect has me looking for a used disk somewhere to see what it's all about.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (emolivarez) | 12 comments Israel wrote: "I'm constantly behind the times on games but will join in if this gets off the ground. All the recent talk about Mass Effect has me looking for a used disk somewhere to see what it's all about."

Same here. All this hype of Mass Effect sucked me in and I finally played the first one that I've had sitting on my shelf for the past year or two lol. I should be starting on the 2nd one this weekend if there's time...

Also I would totally be in on starting a game club/sub forum/whatever.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments I have been watching a show called Gaymon. It is kinda bad, but I love the hosts and keep watching to see what they will do to the writer.

message 17: by Jessica-star (new)

Jessica-star | 6 comments It's a really neat idea, and I love talking about games and hearing peoples impressions.

I tend to read reviews of games while I'm playing them sometimes. It can illuminate parts of the game from another perspective and make more sense and be more understandable than the review before you play the game. Does anyone else ever do that? I've been doing it a lot with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

message 18: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 185 comments I like the idea. And either way, I kind of have to keep up to date as I found a way to tie game studies to a pursued English Literature MA. Oh that and I've been working as a writing for a couple of different game blogs for slightly over four years. So if someone really wants to pursue something like that, let me know.

message 19: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1680 comments Mod
Jim wrote: "I have been watching a show called Gaymon. It is kinda bad, but I love the hosts and keep watching to see what they will do to the writer."

Wait a second... are you being a jerk?! :(