The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games question

Sacrifice And Identity
Erica Erica Feb 21, 2012 09:48AM
I think that the act of sacrifice, runs throughout the story. With Katniss sacrificing her freedom, her possible future with Gale, her life to take Prims places at the reaping and the sacrifice each district makes loosing two of their own.

“Only I keep wishing I could think of a way to…to show the Capitol they don’t own me. That I’m more than just a piece in their Games”

-Peeta Mellark

The sacrifice of their lives with the berries - I think its a really powerful theme as the act with the berries shows the Capitol (staged or not) that their lives are their own and can not be taken so easily when the capitol chooses. Its at this point we, the reader, understand Peetas true feelings for Katniss (his willingness to commit suicide with her) and of Katniss's awareness of the Capitol and how she can out wit them.

Before the games Katniss had a pretty solid identity, she had become the main provider for the family and had a stable relationship with Gale. When the games begin, she has to create another version of herself in order to sell herself as a worthy winner to impress sponsors and to try to win the games.

Do you think Katniss has sacrificed who she was? Was this for better or worse?

Did any other characters sacrifice anything or loose/change their identity?

This is part of my review! I would love to know your thoughts on it!

I think the events she lived through changed her, and there was no way to avoid that. But I think in the end she was allowed to be who she wanted to be again--or at least, figure out who she had changed into.

That's great!!

I think that Katniss changed SOOOO much between the start of "The Hunger Games" and the end of "Mockingjay". One, she was kind of a depressed person at the end of Mockingjay. (I dont blame her 4 that.) I realy liked SUzanne Collins' bravery to tackle such a difficult, graphic issue while at the same time keeping teenagers or really people of all ages, enthralled in the plot and story.

Obviously, Katniss made a big sacrifice by taking Primrose's place at the 74th Hunger Games. I really admire dher for that--her bravery and sacrifice... All really just for her sister. She made a sacrifice for how she wanted to live her life...or NOT live it. She clearly thought she had NO chance of winning, and even if she did win , her life would be changed forever. Though she won the 74th, her life would never be the same. Just that one reaping can change a life forever. It actually DOES change a life together.

Katniss not only made a sacrifice for her sister, she made a sacrifice for her whole life.