The Other Boleyn Girl (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #9) The Other Boleyn Girl question

does anyone feel the charges against Ann were justifiable?
deleted member Feb 21, 2012 09:23AM
I think Henry was drunk on power and thats what deestroyed Ann in the end.

Unfortuantely Anne never really comes across very well when she is written about. I suppose because she toyed with Henry for so long and was the cause of such a monumental change in the religious state of the Nation! She maybe did push things beyond endurance for Henry, her prize was to be queen for goodness sake but I think that was really her only crime!
Henry on the other hand was just a cold bloodied murderer who got away with it because he was the king and everyone was terrified of falling out of favour. He had a lot to answer for and if there is a heaven or a hell he must surely be burning his afterlife away!!

C.P. (last edited Jan 06, 2013 05:44PM ) Jan 06, 2013 05:40PM   0 votes
In 16th-century Europe, the failure to produce a son was always considered to be the woman's fault. They didn't know, then, that men determined the gender of the child. Anne's tragedy, so far as we can tell, is that she insisted on marriage, which required annulment (which Henry couldn't get, because the pope had already annuled Catherine's marriage to Henry's older brother) or divorce, which the pope was reluctant to grant. By the time they got it sorted, Anne's peak years had passed.

Witchcraft, in the 16th century, was a sin but often confused with herbal medicine, the only kind of medicine that actually worked. So it's not impossible, although far from proven, that a desperate Anne whose bloom had passed grabbed at potions of some sort to conceive a son.

But the telltale clues that these are political charges are (1) would Henry have pursued the witchcraft charges if Anne's daughter had been a son? Almost certainly not. And (2) how credible is it, really, that Anne turned to her brother George, as well as three other men, to solve her problem? Yes, incest occurs. Yes, she might trust a family member more than others. Yes, she might suspect that Henry was the problem and look for an alternative. But four alternatives, including her brother? Not buying it.

Whereas Henry has a record of being sleazy from the beginning, and his father was even sleazier than he. Henry tried the same thing again on Catherine Howard. He outlived a wife, divorced two, had two executed for treason, and died before he could mess with no. 6.

So did Anne engage in witchcraft? Maybe. Did she commit treason? Unlikely. Was she married to a guy with a flexible conscience? No question.

No I don't think that the charges were justifiable at all. Ann was treated poorly and Henry just wanted to get rid of her so he could wed and bet his next queen.

She was tried and conviced because she was not able to produce what Henry wanted: a son, And he begaqn to get bored from the things he liked her the most: her liveliness, her sharp tongue, her witiness, her inteligence. Henry was a spoilled brat that did not knew what he4 wanted in a wife: he he had a meek one, a "proper" wife, he wanted lively, sexy, his match in inteligence, once he got that, he got bored because she would not shut up to his authotiry and once again he started to seek for the" perfect wife" which was to be Jane Seymour, who, i suspect, on,y got the epithomy of "the most beloved" because she died - had she lived and she would be humiliated if not worse.

history has pretty much proved tat Anne was probably innocent, whereas Katheryn Howard wasn't, however, she had alienated Henry, as well as loads of the nobles that had powr in his court, and he was obviously desperate to have a legitimate male heir, so her previous betrothal - and behaviour gave him the excuse he needed. Point being, if her previous betrothal was valid (ie the reason for their divorce) she could not have committed treason (if she wasn't legally his wife, she couldn't be unfaithful...) therefore, he had no LEGAL reason to have her executed! She is not on e of my fave historical characters, but she still deserves a little sympathy coz she got a bum deal! And PS: The Tudors TV series is entertaining, but VERY far from any where near historically accurate! xx

I am a bit of a know it all in the subject of Anne Bomeyn since she fascinates me so much. The "evidence" on the trial of Anne In 1536 was from George's wife Jane Parker and she probably jealous and so she got rid of Anne so she made up all These lies about treason and witchcraft. Even though I believe that Anne would not lie down with 4 men especially a mere servant I don't think it is impossible for the idea of incest with her brother. I have reason to believe this theory because in the final months before her "downfall" she must have been desperate and as the saying goes "desperate people do desperate things". So I would not have been surprised if the accusation was true. I love Anne Boleyn and I believe she is one of the most contreversal figures in history and I hope that she is now truly "THE MOST HAPPY"

I loved this novel but there's no doubt that Gregory portrayed Ann as a raging bitch. About halfway through the book I was looking forward to her death.

That being said, no she wasn't guilty of the things with which she was accused. Henry just got tired of her.

In Ms. Gregory's book? Yes.

In real life? No.

I liked the book, but did not feel it was true to history at all. I think Anne got a bad wrap. Changing history for certain agendas.

i read a lil about henry the 8 and when he was first married to katherine, he was encouraged to have mistresses. i am facinated how men can have numerous lovers during that time and it is expected, while if his wife did the same, she would be called an adulterer and beheaded!

I think Anne had passed her place, meaning she didn't settle down to the role of Wife well. Meek and quiet were not Ann's forte.

I think just about anyone today would say that the charges against her were brought on by a man who wanted her, wooed her and was put off when he found he couldn't conquer her absolutely. In many ways, I think she may have been too much his equal...and in being so strong, was too much woman for him.

The books which I have read from the time frame after Anne's death seems to point to the opinion that most felt she was innocent and the charges were false. Just like Catherine of Arragon, he wanted a way out and maybe even believed the reason these women could not give him sons were due to the fact that Catherine was his brother's wife and for religous reasons should not have married him, and Anne in his opinion MUST have been evil with incest, magic, and/or cheating, since she could not bear a son. Overall he is depicted as spoiled from youth and so it seems to me tht he would find a way to get what he wanted throughout his life, whatever the measures, and probably believed he was always in the right as long as he could be pleased.

I think in Gregory's book that Ann was made to seem like she committed the crimes that were brought against her. But in real life I think that Henry just got sick of her and desperately wanted a male heir. Which is sort of ironic that he went through so many Wives just to get the son he wanted when it is the male that determines the sex of the baby!

I don't think the charges were justifiable. I believe that he just wanted to get rid of Ann because she could not give him a male heir.

Henry was clearly determined to destroy Anne and that would have been much easier for him to justify to himself by portraying her as terribly as he did. But the main problem for Anne was the same as for all of Henry's wives and indeed any other Tudor woman. They were all seen as commodities of one sort or another ina way that's very difficult for us to contemplate now. Anne was probably very ambitous herself, but there was a very nasty set of male relatives behind her. Either way, it must have ben such a frightening, toxic environmant to live in, which Gregory portryas so well. If you liked TOBG, I highly recommend The Boleyn Inheritance which is the story of the next 2 queens (Anne of Cleeves and Katherine Howard). My review doesn't contain any spoilers. Enjoy!

I've watched the movie, I've watched The Tudors and I want to read the actual book (The Other Boleyn Girl), mainly because I love the story itself and Philippa Gregory's books...I'm sort of biased, since I just adore Anne Boleyn, but I do indeed think her charges were clearly the result of Henry's wrath against her, more than fairness. Though I'm not naive enough to think that back then the law was fair - it was what the king demanded :/

Have you read her Constant princess about Catherine of Aragon? I thoroughly enjoyed this character study. I, of course, knew the facts of her life after she married Henry VIII, but this back story was very illuminating as to what factors made her the kind of person she was. The reader can’t help but feel sympathy for her hurt and betrayal—and the ruthless way she was used as a pawn of even her own parents. Her parents created in her a single reason for existence, and her determination to achieve this destiny causes her no end of pain and suffering. Makes one thankful to be just an insignificant but happy nobody.

Ignoring historical accuracy and going by this particular book, I would say yes. The book implied she committed the crimes she was tried for, including incest and sodomy.

It's true the book/movie takes a lot of liberties as well as The Tudors on Showtime, which was in sync with this book in many places. I have never read a non fiction account, but plan to someday. I would imagine though that Anne's greatest error was in not producing "male issue". If she had given birth to an male child, I think she would have lived. However, Henry may have somewhere along the line sent her on her way the same way he did poor Catherine. He was a piece of work anyway you look at it. I think the charges against her were bogus. Henry was tired of her and she didn't produce a male heir. He was ready to move on and made up or went along with charges against her. ( such as witchcraft). I doubt she was stupid enough to sleep around, but she may have been guilty of some things that were never proven.(poisonings) I don't really have a clear picture of her. But, mostly I feel she got used and then tossed away.

This book makes it sound like there's some definite incest. Of course there is no way to know if that happened or not. I'd recommend watching The Tudors series (Showtime or HBO--can't remember, but you can get them on Netflix). Some parts are a lot like this book, some are WAY different. Remember, this is fiction...Gregory takes a lot of liberties with that.

The books theme really seems to play out that it is all far in love and war, but remember these girls were brought up to do exactly what they did. In the end no one was their for them. Ann was innocent by no means, but she did not deserve to be beheaded by a spoiled brat!

That's the thing... even though I've watched the movie countless times and read this book, I don't know if Anne was really doing dirty things in dark or not. She probably shouldn't have gone about it as she did, because her plan didn't work, but what's a girl in a desperate position to do?

Are there any books about this written from Anne's point of view? I've only read two books that were from Mary's POV, and haven't heard of any from Anne's.

S.J. Kincaid Norah Lofts also wrote two excellent Tudor books, one from the POV of Katherine of Aragon, one of Anne Boleyn. I highly recommend both.
Sep 15, 2012 11:37PM · flag
Penny Murder most Royal is one of my favourite books about Henry and his poor wives.
Jan 08, 2013 07:25AM · flag