Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Those Damn Radicals!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phil (last edited Feb 21, 2012 07:41AM) (new)

Phil | 11628 comments Just when I thought Virginia was going to take the title of "Most Insane State in the Union" away from Utah, here comes Indiana, mounting a charge of their own.

Apparently an Indiana lawmaker has decided that the Girl Scouts are a subversive group who promote sex and deny "family values."

--------------------------

Lawmaker won't honor 'radicalized' Girl Scouts

Bob Morris says group supports abortion, promotes 'homosexual lifestyle'

INDIANAPOLIS – A Fort Wayne lawmaker has refused to sign on to a resolution celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Girl Scouts, calling the group a "radicalized organization" that supports abortion and promotes the "homosexual lifestyle."

Rep. Bob Morris, R-Fort Wayne, sent a letter to his fellow House Republicans on Saturday explaining why he would be the only member in the House not to endorse the nonbinding resolution.

He said he did some web-based research and found allegations that the Girl Scouts are a tactical arm of Planned Parenthood, allows transgender females to join and encourages sex.

Morris also said the fact that First Lady Michelle Obama is honorary president "should give each of us reason to pause before our individual and collective endorsement of the organization."

--------------------------

There's more, if you care to click the link (above).

I love the part about the First Lady. Not content with bashing our president as "other," now they're going after his wife. They conveniently forget (or don't care) that EVERY First Lady since Lou Henry Hoover* has been recognized as an honorary president of the organization.

*Personal Aside: In college, the dormitory I lived in was "Lou Henry Hoover Hall," named for this same lady.

message 2: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments What a load of bollocks. They're Girl Scouts, not the fucking Symbionese Liberation Army.

message 3: by Jammies (new)

Jammies BunWat wrote: "Yes the Girl Scouts allow transgendered individuals to join. Yes the Girl Scouts support Planned Parenthood. Yes the First Lady is the honorary president of the organization. To which I say, GOOOD."

To Rep Morris I say, get back in your time machine buster, the 19th century misses you. There's a crucial vote on the Dred Scott matter that you're going to miss if you keep wasting your time faffing about in the future.

likelikelikelikelikelike!

message 4: by Pat (last edited Feb 21, 2012 11:19AM) (new)

Pat (patb37) Thank you BunWat for providing the voice of reason amidst the increasingly whacko public statements in the U.S.

I think the most disturbing part about most of the crazy and extreme stuff that has been said lately is that these guys dare to say these things out loud and they are not run out of public office for it.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Pat wrote: "
I think the most disturbing part about most of the crazy and extreme stuff that has been said lately is that these guys dare to say these things out loud and they are not run out of public office for it."

I think it is more disturbing that they actually believe what they say.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm not sure which is more disturbing: that they believe what they say, or that they think enough people agree that it will help rather than hinder their chances of re-election.

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7087 comments I'm thinking the Girl Scouts are a sight better than the Boy Scouts at accepting people different from themselves. (i.e. Gay scout leaders.)

My girls had the good fortune to spend several years in Camp Fire with a leader who was openly lesbian (married with 4 kids) and a HOOT. I miss that gal--she was always up for campfires and hikes and tent camping. Anyone who makes potato latkes with a group of squirrely five year old boys and girls is OK by me.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Girl Scouts is an awesome organization. Boy Scouts took a wrong turn somewhere in their rigid definitions of morality.

message 9: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 795 comments OMG! The Girl Scouts don't discriminate? How very unAmerican of them. How can American values like *hate* be taught with 'these kind of people' as leaders?

What is with the war on women this year?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24154 comments Mod
Cheri wrote: "What is with the war on women this year?"

The last time we had a war on women it was 1991 and Anita Hill was trying to convince America that Clarence Thomas had sexually harassed her. A lot of women were not happy with the way the Senate Judiciary Committee treated her, and they took it out on male politicians in the 1992 elections. One of the politicians voted out was Illinois Senator Alan Dixon; Carol Moseley Braun took his seat. Eventually Barack Obama would win that seat....

I think we're going to see some of that this year too. At least, I hope.

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 241 comments This is why I don't watch or read the news.......

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11628 comments This is why you should (or must) watch or read the news.

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7087 comments Especially if you are female, or care about women.

message 14: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 795 comments Girl Scout cookies are out today! I bought 4 extra boxes to show that asswipe, Bob Morris, not F*** with our Girl Scouts. mmmmm. thin mints. lemon coolers.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24154 comments Mod
Did you know that each girl scout council sets the price of their boxes? This year prices range from $3-5, apparently. I already couldn't afford them last year.

message 16: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 795 comments $4 here but 3 boxes left. ooops Tagalongs - gone! Do you want me to leave a box or two by the seashore for you?

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Cheri wrote: "Girl Scout cookies are out today! I bought 4 extra boxes to show that asswipe, Bob Morris, not F*** with our Girl Scouts. mmmmm. thin mints. lemon coolers."
What area are you in, Cheri? Since there are only two bakeries making them for the whole country they are sold in different areas at different times.
The extras go to Girl Scout camps. There are always a million boxes of shortbread cookies, and not nearly enough of the good ones.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Our cookie sale takes place in the fall, and the cookies come before Christmas now. This changed a couple of years ago.

message 19: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I like the shortbread ones, Sarah! I'll happily take a case or so.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments If you buy up all the thin mints now you could make a lot of campers and counselors happy by doing a hostage exchange in July.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Speaking of Thin Mints, apparently this is real:

message 22: by Cheri (last edited Feb 29, 2012 09:03PM) (new)

Cheri | 795 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Cheri wrote: "Girl Scout cookies are out today! I bought 4 extra boxes to show that asswipe, Bob Morris, not F*** with our Girl Scouts. mmmmm. thin mints. lemon coolers."
What area are you in, Cher..."

I'm in California. We get peanuts at Christmas. ick.

We have lots and lots of all the cookies. I'm willing to send to anyone that needs them.

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 241 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Speaking of Thin Mints, apparently this is real:
"

YUM! I want those.

message 24: by David (new)

David Vanness (retired2read) | 15 comments The Girl Scouts are accepting donations to send Cookies to our service personel overseas. [ At least in Northern Indiana ]