The Door Into Summer The Door Into Summer discussion

Just finished this one

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Toby Davis Just finished The Door Into Summer by Robert Heinlein. Was an interesting sci fi read and his take on time travel was kind of nifty. I've read a bunch of Heinlein's works, not as strong as say "Starship Troopers" or "Citizen of the Galaxy" (his two best by far in my opinion), but not his worst either.

Joanne Moyer I just read this one too. I've never read Heinlein but I certainly know who he is - I'm not so much into real science fiction. I'd heard about this book but after realizing it had a cat as a main character AND was about time travel I had to check it out and I loved it. I've been recommending it to everyone since I finished it. I also loved the idea that the book was written in the 1950's and reading his take on what the years 1970 and 2000 would be like

Bill Whitaker I used to read "The Door Into Summer" every year. It's one of the best of Heinlein's early "mature" works (i.e., intended for an adult rather than a juvenile audience--something that mattered back then). Other great ones include (in no particular order): "Stranger in a Strange Land," "Double Star," "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress," "The Puppet Masters," "Tunnel In The Sky," "Job: A Comedy of Justice," "Glory Road," "Time For The Stars," "The Star Beast," "Between Planets," "Friday," "Methuselah's Children," and "Time Enough For Love." (And, as you mentioned, "Starship Troopers" and "Citizen Of The Galaxy."
For other terrific time travel stories, try "Time And Again" by Jack Finney, "Dinosaur Beach" by Keith Laumer, "Up The Line" by Robert Silverberg and "The Time Traders" by Andre Norton.

message 4: by Scott (last edited Mar 16, 2012 08:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott Seldon I got a chuckle at Target the other day. So long after he invented an automated vacuum in this story, they now have them at Target.

I loved his description of what it means to be an engineer. That was always my dream job, but being a writer is the next best thing.

This is just a wonderful story from a master storyteller. Every writer would be lucky to have a book like this in their bibliography.

Laura I only read this story recently, too. It seems to me that it is possibly one of the earliest time-changing plots, akin to Back to the Future/Butterfly Effect and all its imitators since then.
I really really liked this story and there is lots to love about it. The cat side plot, the engineering angle, the mystery of the future patent papers which he had neglected to file in the first run-thru of the story, etc etc. Lots to love here. A very rich tapestry, unusual for sci-fi.

message 6: by L. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L. Gibbs Bill wrote: "I used to read "The Door Into Summer" every year. It's one of the best of Heinlein's early "mature" works (i.e., intended for an adult rather than a juvenile audience--something that mattered back ..."

Same here, Bill. I read it every year. It works. I have ready every Heinlein book written, but this is one of my favorites for pure enjoyment.

message 7: by Kritz (last edited Apr 06, 2014 04:51AM) (new) - added it

Kritz I can't remember where I read this anecdote, but this book seems to have leapt out of Heinlein's brain almost fully formed. Apparently it took him about three weeks to write and he did so on a bet.

I've always liked it because it's so economical, in the sense of not a word wasted.

Ian Robert Heinlein - fashionable today (partly because of the dreadful Starship Troopers film) to dismiss him as a right wing mysogynist, however his body of work in science fiction, or any terms, is amazing. He wrote the definitive time-travel stories (“All You Zombies—”, "By His Bootstraps” and The Door Into Summer), the definitive longevity books (Methuselah’s Children and Time Enough For Love), the definitive theocracy novel (Revolt in 2100), heroic fantasy/SF novel (Glory Road), revolution novel (The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress), transplant novel (I Will Fear No Evil), alien invasion novel (The Puppet Masters), technocracy story (“The Roads Must Roll”), arms race story (“Solution Unsatisfactory”), technodisaster story (“Blowups Happen”), and about a dozen of the finest science fiction juveniles ever published. He broke SF out of the pulps and opened up “respectable” and lucrative markets.

In his spare time Heinlein invented the waldo and the waterbed didn’t patent them. (The first waldos were built by Nathan Woodruff at Brookhaven National Laboratories in 1945, three years after Heinlein described them for a few cents a word. As to the waterbed, see Expanded Universe.) In addition he helped design the spacesuit as we now know it. Not bad, eh?

Harvey Click I read this as a teenager and loved it. I reread it a few years ago and still loved it.

Danny Tyran Me too. I read it I was 13 and how much I loved it! Heinlein was a great SF writer. All his books are good. But maybe because it was one of the first I read, this one is still engraved in my mind. :)