Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Complete Stalky & Co.
This topic is about The Complete Stalky & Co.
Book Issues > (The Complete) Stalky & Co.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonathan Palfrey | 13 comments I own two books, one called "Stalky & Co." and the other called "The Complete Stalky & Co.". They are substantially different: the latter book contains five extra stories by Kipling as well as a new introduction by another writer. However, when I search for the ISBN of my edition of the Complete book, I find it in the database with the title "Stalky & Co.", as though it were the original shorter book. This seems an error to me. Should I correct it? (I'm a new librarian, starting today.)

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 233 comments I have both of these, too, and was wondering the same thing. If they're separated it will probably be necessary to check at intervals to make sure they haven't been re-combined. A Librarian's Note on Complete ("This edition contains five stories not in the original.") might do the trick.

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Yes, the editions with the extra five stories should be separate from the editions without. Are you comfortable separating them? You can separate the "complete" editions one by one from the combine page and then combine just those editions together, or you can use the separate tool (available from the editions page or the combine page) to split all of the "complete" editions out at once.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23848 comments Yes please fix it Jonathon, and do as Kathy suggests and put a Librarian note on it as well.

Jonathan Palfrey | 13 comments Thanks for your quick replies! I'll have a go at it; but not immediately, because I have some paid work to do at the moment.

Jonathan Palfrey | 13 comments I think I have now sorted out the situation. It was a bit of a struggle...

I couldn't see how to leave a librarian's note on the Complete Stalky (of which there are now four editions), but instead I added to the note that you see when combining books by Kipling.

message 7: by Kathy (last edited Feb 21, 2012 11:44AM) (new)

Kathy | 233 comments Jonathan wrote: "I couldn't see how to leave a librarian's note on the Complete Stalky (of which there are now four editions)..."

I added the note to one edition (link is just below the title on its Edit page). It doesn't show up at present, but if Complete is ever re-combined with the original book, the note should pop up on the Combine Edition page.

ETA: I've also changed the book's standard description to reflect that it's not the same as Stalky & Co..

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42507 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "It doesn't show up at present"

It does, attached to the book in question, on the combine page.

Jonathan Palfrey | 13 comments Thanks, Kathy.