Discovering Russian Literature discussion

GROUP ADMINSTRATION > Leo Tolstoy Nominations! ( April / May ... ) - closed! Vote!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amalie (new)

Amalie  | 650 comments Mod
Before we start the nominations, I'd like to get the members opinions on nominations and voting system.

As you see The Idiot and Crime and Punishment were the books selected by the members for the previous time. But when the reading began, only several join the discussions and more than half of them are new members or ones who actually didn't vote for those books.

So please join the discussions of your choice! Hearing everyone's opinion is what makes the reading so relevant, so plan on joining in for your choice. No matter what you think, know that it is important and does add insight to all.

Remember, anyone is free to nominate, but DO NOT vote if you are not intending to read with the group or to join the discussions. It would be unfair for the other voters. If you have any thoughts on this matter, post it here.

Now for the nominations: Since we started the year with two Dostoyevsky novels, Thought it would be better to select the next 2 readings from works of Leo Tolstoy. These reading (s) will start on April after "Crime and Punishment."

P.S. Those who want to read War and Peace. This is the chance but remember if "War and Peace" is nominated and get votes among the top three, still two other novels will be selected depending on the votes.

A "War and Peace" reading will continue for the period of 6 - 8 months to make the time issue flexible for all the readers.

Type in your nominations. Thanks!

message 2: by Silver (new)

Silver I nominate Resurrection

message 3: by Azaghedi (new)

Azaghedi | 79 comments The wording of this confused me; can you clarify? "...remember if 'War and Peace' is nominated and get votes among the top three, still two other novels will be selected depending on the votes."

Also, should we each nominate two books, since we'll be reading two books? Or should we each nominate only one, and whichever two come in first and second in total votes will be chosen for our group reads? Thanks!

message 4: by ... (new)

... (guilhermebr) | 1 comments I finished reading War and Peace three days ago (-: ... I'm planning to read this year both The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Anna Karenina, so these are my picks. If The Death of Ivan Ilyich is too short to be chosen (it is considered a novella, not a novel), my backup nomination is Ressurrection (I would gladly put it into my reading list for this year).

message 5: by Franc (new)

Franc The Kreutzer Sonata
The Cossacks

message 6: by Amalie (last edited Feb 20, 2012 10:58PM) (new)

Steve wrote: "The wording of this confused me; can you clarify? "...remember if 'War and Peace' is nominated and get votes among the top three, still two other novels will be selected depending on the votes."

A..."

Oh, sorry. We select the 2 most-voted novels but if one of them is "War and Peace" then we'll select the next novel with most votes (3rd most-voted) for the two readings.

War and Peace (if get nominated and voted) will be read separately while other usual readings take place.

All the nominations will be added to polls so if you have two nominations, that's fine. When polls are up, members can vote for their choice and if someone wants to read 2 then type in the other choice (only if they are planning to read both books!) in the comment box.

message 7: by Rowena (new)

Rowena A Confession

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex | 8 comments I second Guilherme. I would love to read Anna Karenina and The Death of Ivan Ilyich. If Ivan Ilyich doesn't work, perhaps we could read The Cossacks and The Raid instead.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I really don't have any new opinions about nominations and voting, I would just like those who nominate and vote to take part in the discussions :)

As for books I'd love a discussion on Anna Karenina. If novella allowed, then The Forged Coupon. I'll join one of them for sure.

As for "War and Peace", if the reading takes such a longer period, why not. I'll just nominate it, if it's ok and I'll join the discussion if there are other readers.

message 10: by Sofia (new)

Sofia | 3 comments A Confession would be an excellent reading :)

message 11: by Elena (new)

Elena | 1 comments I recommend "The Kreutzer Sonata" :)

message 12: by dely (new)

dely | 340 comments I would like to read War and Peace or Resurrection.

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 9 comments Silver wrote: "I nominate Resurrection"

I second this nomination. In fact, I just started this myself a week ago and it would be great to hear other opinions.

For the other selection I'm not sure if there are any length requirements since I saw "The Raid" and "The Forged Coupon" mentioned and they are pretty short as I recall. If others want to tackle one of the major works I'll vote for "Anna Karenina", if shorter I'll second "The Cossacks"

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

So, all his works are nominated! :D As for my question about the novellas, I see others are wondering too. I remember we read "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" with "short fiction" last year, so does the short fiction like The Raid" and "The Forged Coupon" will also fall into those reading? Btw, we didn't do any Short Story readings this year so far..

message 16: by Zuly (last edited Feb 21, 2012 09:43AM) (new)

Zuly I nominate "War and Peace" and "Childhood; Boyhood; Youth."

message 17: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (osso) | 2 comments War and Peace.

message 20: by Zuly (new)

Zuly I love all three! I don't think anyone can go wrong choosing Tolstoy, but I haven't read the less popular works.

message 21: by Amalie (last edited Feb 25, 2012 04:45AM) (new)

I didn't add books less than 150 pages. They will be included with Short Fiction reading list. We'll visit them from time to time.

For all who want to read The Death of Ivan Ilych sorry, we will not reselect it but you can still find the thread in the "Short Fiction" folder.

Nominations closed! Vote!!

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/61...

If you have two choices (since we'll be reading 2 Tolstoy), then type in your second choice in the comment box in the polling page.

message 22: by dely (new)

dely | 340 comments I don't see the poll at the end of the homepage or on the right but only if I click on it from here, it means from your message here above.

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee | 2 comments Anna Karenena and war and peace

message 24: by Lois (new)

Lois (loisbennett) Have voted - looking forward to getting involved in the discussions!

message 25: by Hodan (new)

Hodan A | 1 comments i would love to read war and peace :)