David Foster Wallace discussion

Happy Would-Be 50th Birthday, DFW

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (last edited Feb 20, 2012 09:56PM) (new)

Scott Today (Tue 2/21/12) would have been David Foster Wallace's 50th birthday. I think it might start to become more difficult to reconcile Wallace during his life with what he might have been like at age 50 and older. The other day I crossed paths again with a passage (in the title essay of A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again: Essays and Arguments) that makes me think Wallace would have had mixed feelings about the day:

" I don't think it's an accident that 7NC [seven-night Caribbean] Luxury Cruises appeal mostly to older people. I don't mean decrepitly old, but I mean like age-50+ people, for whom their own mortality is something more than an abstraction. Most of the exposed bodies to be seen all over the daytime Nadir were in various stages of disintegration. And the ocean itself ... turns out to be basically one enormous engine of decay. ..."

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 21, 2012 03:54PM) (new)

My wife just sent me this link from The Awl, 46 things to do
in honor of DFW's birthday

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Dennis wrote: "My wife just sent me this link from The Awl, 46 things to do
in honor of DFW's birthday"

That's a nice collection of materials, with a number of things I haven't seen before. Thanks.

message 4: by Ritu (new)

Ritu | 1 comments I remember a DFW quote from David Lipsky's "Although of course..." "If you can think of times in your life that you’ve treated people with extraordinary decency and love, and pure uninterested concern, just because they were valuable as human beings. The ability to do that with ourselves. To treat ourselves the way we would treat a really good, precious friend. Or a tiny child of ours that we absolutely loved more than life itself. And I think it’s probably possible to achieve that. I think part of the job we’re here for is to learn how to do it. I know that sounds a little pious."
-- David Foster Wallace