The Book Thief The Book Thief discussion

Worth Reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Breanna I started reading it and had a really hard time getting into it, would it be worth another shot?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with the previous poster. Once you get into it, it's hard to put down!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy It's one of my favorites! Once you get used to the narration, you won't be able to stop reading!

Frankie I had trouble starting it too. It's worth reading though! It's one of my favorite books!

Susan If you read nothing else, read this.

Susan If you read nothing else, read this.

message 7: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat You have to figure that anything narrated by Death will be different than what we're accustomed to, right? I agree with the consensus--hard to get into, absolutely worth it. Keep it on your to-read list and come back to it later!

Magda I had a hard time with the first chapter. After that, it was smooth sailing & completely worth it.

Susan Breanna wrote: "I started reading it and had a really hard time getting into it, would it be worth another shot?"
Absolutely! ! I quit and set it aside for several months. After hearing many positive comments I picked it up again. Ranks up there as one of the best books I have EVER read. Keep plugging away!

Thomas A great book!

message 11: by Barbara (last edited Feb 21, 2012 08:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barbara I thought this was a great book. I'm so glad I read it. I didn't think I would like this one at all but I loved it. A great read.

Sometimes I think it can just be the wrong time to read a certain book. Maybe you're not into it but when you try a 2nd time it can be worth it.

Rusha it is a great book. you should absolutely give it another shot.

Geneva If you read it all the way through, I promise that you won't regret it.

Kirsty (wanderingbookishsoul) Barb wrote: "I thought this was a great book. I'm so glad I read it. I didn't think I would like this one at all but I loved it. A great read.

Sometimes I think it can just be the wrong time to read a certain ..."

I completely agree. I've done that with several books and found when I was eventually ready, they were great books.

This book is really good. Keep trying to read it. I love that it was based more on the side of the average Germans having to deal with the war rather than another holocaust book. Great to see a different perspective and from the eyes of death hinself...great book!

Susan Sorry, I didn't mean to repeat myself yesterday, but I do feel strongly about this book.

Cosmina Great book which offers a unique perspective,
totally worth your time.

message 17: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin O'Riordan Breanna wrote: "I started reading it and had a really hard time getting into it, would it be worth another shot?"

This is one of the best. books. ever.

msprongs The beginning is a bit slow, but essential. Just sit down and read it, and you'll be in love with it soon. I promise.

Michelle Ferguson I agree with the above - there will come a point when you won't want to put it down. It became one of my book club's favourite pick!

Breanna Wow, that's great guys thanks, if there isn't a single negative report I will definitely give it another try.

message 21: by Sue (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue Merrell I'm just starting this book on the recommendation of friends but the narration and writing style is hard to follow and certainly doesn't pique my curiosity to continue. As a writer myself I look and this and wonder "what is the author trying to do?"

Kiersten I think that everyone should read this book because the voice it's written in is interesting, it's well written, the topic is interesting and important, and every book lover can see themselves sticking their hand in that fire for a book!

To be honest, the book is also very meaningful to me. Growing up second generation in a German household in the US and questioning relatives about the nazi regime is tough. This helped me understand that many Germans did not agree but felt powerless against nazi Germany. If anyone wants to explore that topic, get in touch with me.

Susan Kiersten wrote: "I think that everyone should read this book because the voice it's written in is interesting, it's well written, the topic is interesting and important, and every book lover can see themselves stic..."

Have you read Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum? It handles the same topic from an adult's point of view.

Kiersten Susan wrote: "Kiersten wrote: "I think that everyone should read this book because the voice it's written in is interesting, it's well written, the topic is interesting and important, and every book lover can se..."

No, I have not, but I will this weekend. Thank you so much! After I read it, would you like to discuss?

Susan Sure.

Jamie Once you get through the first two chapters the book picks up. Its definitely worth reading

Audrey Lee I love this book. It's a bit slow going in the beginning. A lot of people have a hard time with the voice of the narrator, or that the narrator is Death. But once you get past that its amazing.

message 28: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Kiersten wrote: "Susan wrote: "Kiersten wrote: "I think that everyone should read this book because the voice it's written in is interesting, it's well written, the topic is interesting and important, and every boo..."

I reading Those Who Save us right now! Great read - I'd be interested in a discussion as well.

Kiersten Amy wrote: "Kiersten wrote: "Susan wrote: "Kiersten wrote: "I think that everyone should read this book because the voice it's written in is interesting, it's well written, the topic is interesting and importa..."

Sounds great! I'll get back with both of you.

message 30: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth My only advice is keep going because it truly is one of the best books i've ever read in my entire life. It really is beautiful

message 31: by Carol (last edited Feb 29, 2012 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Yes, I loved it too. It's unpredictable - which I like - and full of mystery. And being a book-lover (as we all are!), it strikes home. I read it quite some time ago, but plan to read it again soon.

Beth It's a great book for a young person. I read it last year, but I have a hard time liking a YA book. I don't care for simplistic language and descriptions.

Phyllis Book Thief is one of my all time favorite books. This is a 'must read'.
Also, don't miss Zusak's I Am The Messenger. great book too

Scotti Oh this is a WONDERFUL book. It is on my short list of all time favorites. It does start a little slowly which often discourages me, but I am so glad I didn't give up on this one. Some of it is also subtle and sinks in more and more as you think about it. All of a sudden I realized how incredibly profound it was in such a quiet way. It blew me away. A beautiful story of a time that you though had already been written about in every way possible. NOW, maybe it has.

message 35: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth i really didn't see it as a YA novel at all. I would never give it to a young person to read. Its much more intense then that.

I have read the messenger and thought it was really, really good. i read it in two days

Julia Sue wrote: "I'm just starting this book on the recommendation of friends but the narration and writing style is hard to follow and certainly doesn't pique my curiosity to continue. As a writer myself I look an..."

I really hope you keep going. The narration is a little hard to follow at first, but it is a wonderful, wonderful story!

message 37: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Beth wrote: "It's a great book for a young person. I read it last year, but I have a hard time liking a YA book. I don't care for simplistic language and descriptions."

I guess I didn't find the language or descriptions simplistic at all. I thought is was beautifully written. What's wrong with simple, clean descriptions and language that doesn't force a reader to flip through a dictionary 10 times a page?

Maura Mccormick Yes, yes, yes, YES!!!! This book was AMAZING!! It may have been difficult to get into, but trust me it will get better! Go for it, you'll be glad that you did.

Lynn G. This was a fabulous read and has become one of my all-time, top 10 favorites. The book is not "just another World War II story" but an opportunity to view man's humanity to man, rather than the usual inhumanity associated with this era of history.

Kristina Worth having read to you for sure! The audio book version was soooooo good. It made me want to follow the narrator for other reads. The book does start slow, but once Liesel arrives at the house a chapter or so in, the weaving of the story and falling in love with papa and the other characters start happening and keep happening at a pretty good clip. Rudy and the Jesse Owens incident is so endearing.

Rachelle Breanna wrote: "I started reading it and had a really hard time getting into it, would it be worth another shot?"

Yes I definitely think it is worth another shot. When our book club read it, half put it down. The other stuck with it and loved it. I put it down and later picked it up--- I was so glad that I did. I actually listened to this book. Sometimes a book I can't get through reading. I can listen to and love. This was a book that stuck with me. My son also read it, at 13 and loved it.

Veronica ~Breanna wrote: "I started reading it and had a really hard time getting into it, would it be worth another shot?"~

Goodness, yes! I really loved this book. not too sure why but I got really absorbed in the characters. Pls give it another go!

message 43: by Di (new) - rated it 5 stars

Di Holmes It has been some time since I read it but I love reading about that part of history, especially through the eyes of a young girl.

Betty Its beautifully written. Definitely high on my list of favorite books.

message 45: by moe (new) - rated it 5 stars

moe Yes, even though it might be hard to get into it at first, you'll see how beautiful it is. I loved it. Probably my most favorite book.

Diane Beautifully written; A wonderful book- I have recommended it many times over.

Kristina Several of my favorite reads started out slow and I'm so glad I hung in there. Water for Elephants would have been easy to put down any time in the first 40 pages or so....but I'm so glad I didn't. The first chapter or two is often just foundational material that doesn't really reflect what the story is going to be.

Michelle Ferguson I am really enjoying this discussion! As a new author (my book is "From Away" I would be so keen to hear all of your views on my book - was the beginning good at capturing you or was it slow but worth the slog like The Book Thief. I would love to hear from you.

I belong to a book club but that is one book a month - here on Goodreads you can comment on so many books and hear so many different opinions. I am so glad I discovered this site!

Meeeriams Fleep YES DEFINITELY WORTH READING!!! ONE OF THE BEST, MOST EAUTIFULLY WRITTEN AND HEARTRENDING BOOKS OUT THERE!

DeAnna Like so many of you, I also had a difficult time getting into this novel. It was a bookclub selection and I came to it thinking it was going to be just another Anne Frank ripoff. I'm so glad I powered through the slow beginning. It's a touching story, and I'm so glad I read it. I'm happy to recommend it to others.

« previous 1 3