The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #92 - The Lies of Locke Lamora Kick-off

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph I'm so glad you guys picked Scott Lynch, he's an incredible author and I've read this book maybe 5 times now! :D

message 3: by Devin (new)

Devin (daihmon) | 19 comments Very cool. Looking forward to getting started.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) just found that lies of ll is in my local library so I'll be reading along.

great show v&t

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 834 comments I already started, since it was pretty obvious that it would be the book pick and I had it on my Kindle anyway. I really like it so far, but I guess we'll discuss the details in the actual book threads.

As for the number of alternate picks and stuff I wanted to say that I'd guess that it's probably not like everyone here is reading all the picks, so I wouldn't worry if I was Tom or Veronica. I have neither read IQ84 so far nor Empire State. They are both on my list but I haven't felt that "obligated" to read them along with the group I guess and tend to stick with the main picks mostly.

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments Of course you could solve keeping up with novels by only reading novellas. Novels are just fluffed up novellas anyway. ^_^ (I am not Lepton.)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't lem The Heroes, V. Like Tom said, it really is worth it in the end.

As for the wait for the Gentlemen Bastard series, Lynch was/is suffering through depression and all. So it's understandable that he's not getting the next book out right away. If the first two are any indication, it'll be worth the wait for the next one.

Unlike some people whose words are winds that blow the story nowhere at all.

message 8: by AndrewP (last edited Feb 21, 2012 09:25AM) (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments Anne wrote: "As for the number of alternate picks and stuff I wanted to say that I'd guess that it's probably not like everyone here is reading all the picks, so I wouldn't worry if I was Tom or Veronica. I have neither read IQ84 so far nor Empire State. They are both ... "

That's a good question Anne. I have often wondered how many people are actually reading the picks out the 4,400+ members of S&L? Perhaps a good question for a poll.

I think I am going to go ahead and read this one even though it is breaking a couple of my golden rules. 1) Never read unfinished series. 2) Never pay retail. The Kindle edition is the same price as the paperback, so I can live with that. $2.99 after using a $5 coupon I had lying around.

I did notice that there is a book 0 that precedes this one.. The Bastards and the Knives should I read this one first?

message 9: by Vance (last edited Feb 21, 2012 10:37AM) (new)

Vance | 362 comments Regarding alternates: I would prefer that the books that also did well in the poll, like Assassin's Apprentice and Tigana, be up again for the next Sword main pick vote rather than be an alternate pick now.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) I would recommend Ian McDonald if you like the idea of reading books that are placed in locals that don't include the US etc...and his writing is awesome...The Dervish House is his latest but he writes about places like Brazil, Turkey, Africa etc...very natural and thought provoking....thanks for the show V and T looking forward to the new selection...Tom if you want a good space read try out Jack McDevitt.

message 11: by T. Scott (new)

T. Scott (stormingthecastle) | 13 comments The Lies of Locke Lamorais the best place to start. No need to read the prequel first as book #1 sets everything up perfectly.

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments It is so hard finding the link to the Nebula Award nominees that I really felt sorry for T&V. If only someone had put a link to them somewhere handy like maybe in the forums earlier in the day then maybe they could have found it quicker.

message 13: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments It's not a character name, but the "H" in C.J. Cherryh is silent. Pick one of her books next Tom, spaceships are good.

message 14: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments Next time you're in DC, Tom, swing out my way. You'll be sick of spaceships... ;)

message 15: by kvon (last edited Feb 21, 2012 08:14PM) (new)

kvon | 562 comments I finished Quantum Thief last week and enjoyed it; I think it has a good shot of being a Hugo nominee for this year. And while it does lots of nanobot type things, there is a spaceship. It begins a series, but gets to a good stopping place.

I loved Feed last year, great zombie book. The author, Mira Grant, is a pseudonym for urban fantasy writer and Campbell award winner Seanan McGuire. Definitely recommended. Also the start of a series.

message 16: by Bree (new)

Bree (breeatlast) | 52 comments Haiku in honor of this podcast:

Yeah, I read quickly
Main picks, alt picks, I don't care
Five at a time, please

They all fall like leaves
From the dead trees I don't read
Please don't melt, Kindle.

message 17: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments Maybe I'll read this Seanan McGuire book when it comes out. Discount Armageddon (Incryptid, #1) by Seanan McGuire By the way, she's one of the hosts of the Sfsqueecast podcast. She likes Syfy movies. Terrible.

message 18: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments Bree wrote: "Please don't melt, Kindle."

Nice.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

How can anyone like Syfy movies?

That's crazy talk.

message 20: by Robert (new)

Robert Nasuti (rlnasuti) | 31 comments You guys both lemmed good books in the Wheel of Time! ;-P

/agree with Veronica about Mass Effect. It's the first game of it's caliber since Final Fantasy VII in my opinion. First in the sword category EVER.

message 21: by Vance (new)

Vance | 362 comments I lemmed Wheel of Time around the fourth or fifth book as well (the fact that I can't remember which says a lot). Too much angst, braid-tugging, bossing the guys around, etc.

message 22: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) Vance wrote: "I lemmed Wheel of Time around the fourth or fifth book as well (the fact that I can't remember which says a lot). Too much angst, braid-tugging, bossing the guys around, etc."

You hit the nail on the head there Vance...

message 23: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments There are better maps of Camorr on Scott Lynch's website. Easier to read than on a kindle.
http://www.scottlynch.us/excerpts.html

message 24: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments I looked for a SF book that would meet Tom's criteria.
Narrated by Wil Wheaton
Involved space ships
Goes well with a bordeaux wine.
The closest I could come up with was
Agent to the stars by John Scalzi.

message 25: by Terje (last edited Feb 23, 2012 01:19AM) (new)

Terje Meling | 10 comments Heh, I lemmed Wheel of Time book 10. Really liked the first books, but they just got bigger and bigger with less and less actually happening!

Edit: Also lemmed 'Best served cold' by Abercrombie. I really felt defeated by that book, I love the author and it's a really interesting story, but it was just too depressing and dreary and slow! :(

message 26: by Tora (new)

Tora | 69 comments I finished the individual books I started in The Wheel of Time series, but I lemmed the series as a whole. I think the 6th book was the last one I read, and after finishing it, I realized that in that entire long book, the main plot line had not advanced AT ALL. And that's the point where I decided I'd had enough.

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Terje wrote: "Heh, I lemmed Wheel of Time book 10. Really liked the first books, but they just got bigger and bigger with less and less actually happening!
."

Oh you're so close to stuff getting really good again. book ten is the low point, 11 is like Jordan's return to form, a sort of last hurrah, and then you're into the breakneck pace of the Sanderson co-written books.

message 28: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments So I wonder which version of Astrid, Tom named his computer after, the Walternate version that seems to have Asperger's syndrome or the Walter version that has an inhuman amount of patience?

message 29: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 88 comments So happy someone mentioned Feed by Mira Grant(aka Seanan McGuire)on the podcast. I have been wondering when any of her books might come up. Feed is one of my favorite books and I would highly recommend it. It is part of the Newsflesh trilogy and the last one comes out this May. I cannot wait!

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amanda-andonian) | 19 comments Ooooh, I love fantasy and Ocean's Eleven! Sounds like this is just the book for me. I'm buying it on my Kindle now!

message 31: by Mohrravvian (new)

Mohrravvian | 99 comments I have to agree with Vance... please don't make the high "runner ups" in the polls an alternate book choice. Save them for later main picks!!

message 32: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 67 comments kvon wrote: "I finished Quantum Thief last week and enjoyed it; I think it has a good shot of being a Hugo nominee for this year. And while it does lots of nanobot type things, there is a spaceship. It begins ..."

I second Quantum Thief as a good novel.

message 33: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
About those Kindle interactive fiction titles -- The King of Shreds & Patches has a parser that will have you typing commands on the Kindle keyboard, all Zork-like (I did cover art for the pre-Kindle version). I think most of the others are gamebook/choose-your-own adventure combos, but I expect more parser-based ones are on the way (I know there's interest in that in the IF community).

message 34: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments n
n
n
kill monster with sword
get all from corpse

message 35: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Tamahome wrote: "n
n
n
kill monster with sword
get all from corpse"

YES!!

Also:

> Lem book

message 36: by Vance (new)

Vance | 362 comments Tamahome wrote: "n
n
n
kill monster with sword
get all from corpse"

I was always having to "l" to remember what was there.

message 37: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments I used to crash a mud accidentally typing:

alias a alias

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments I highly rec sfsqueecast. They have a cool AM radio thing going on. Also I know Lynn and Paul.

message 39: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1151 comments Mod
Boots, the one with infinite patience.

Also, I like SyFy movies. There. I said it.

message 40: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 25, 2012 08:58AM) (new)

That's crazy talk Tom.

message 41: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments

message 42: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments ^always funny^