The Moonstone The Moonstone discussion


113 views
will read

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Romuel Reyson planning to buy moonstone that is published by Wordsworth is this unabridged?anyone who know a better version of the book? thanks for the help


Cassie I read The Moonstone in the Barnes and Noble classics edition. It was an excellent edition. However, I have read a classic book that was published by Wordsworth and it was unabridged. Also, I personally like the footnotes on Wordsworth classics vs the Barnes and Nobles classics. Hope this helps. Enjoy the book!


Louise I picked it up on my kindle as a free book.

good read (ha ha )


Cheryl Didur I own a very old copy of The Moonstone - I discovered Wilkie Collins after he was mentioned in something I read about Charles Dickens, and I really like his style. If you read and enjoy The Moonstone, look for his book The Woman in White. It is one of the first true mystery/detective novels ever written, as is The Moonstone.


Jemima I just finished reading this book as a Wordsworth classic. It is definitely unabridged.


Leseratte I would go for a Penguin Classics or OUP edition that is not only unabridged, but has footnotes. I know that some people hate them, but I find them useful - no matter how many 19th century English novels I read, I can't for the life of me remember what the Corn Laws or Reform Bill were about.


Susie Cheryl wrote: "I own a very old copy of The Moonstone - I discovered Wilkie Collins after he was mentioned in something I read about Charles Dickens, and I really like his style. If you read and enjoy The Moonst..."

I loved both books. I got the complete works of Wilkie Collins for $1.99 on my Kindle. There are so many more good ones.


Steve I must say I was highly disappointed in Moonstone, but that is just me. I was expecting a backroom mystery story but got mainly a boring version of Downton Abbey.


Cassie A book that is much easier to read by Wilkie Collins, are After Dark and The Queen of Hearts.

Both are stories that 'frame' a collection of short stories. They are much easier to get through than one of his full books but they are marvelous nonetheless.


Feliks Agrimorfee wrote: "I must say I was highly disappointed in Moonstone, but that is just me. I was expecting a backroom mystery story but got mainly a boring version of Downton Abbey."

You mean a 'locked room' mystery?


message 11: by Feliks (last edited Apr 07, 2013 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Feliks Louise wrote: "I picked it up on my kindle as a free book."

Susie wrote: "I got the complete works of Wilkie Collins for $1.99 on my Kindle...."


Ugh


message 12: by Maria (last edited Apr 07, 2013 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maria Mcneece I liked the Woman In White much better. This was something of a drag and, at least for me, difficult go get 'into'.


message 13: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I so enjoyed this book. It really deserves more credit than it gets. One of the first "who done it" books.


back to top