Delirium (Delirium, #1) Delirium discussion

Is Delirium Any Good?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I have been told that this book is really good and I'm not sure if I should read it because its suppose to be similar to Hunger Games and I didn't enjoy that book at all. But I have also heard its like Matched which i did like so any comments to help me out??

message 2: by K (new) - rated it 5 stars

K I would say the book is closer to Matched than to the Hunger Games. It's central idea revolves around Love and not the world falling apart. This story does have a wonderful Dystopian world but I truly do feel like Love is the central idea. It's a beautiful book, I think it's well worth the read. Lauren Oliver is a very talented writer and her book will really make you think. I have had quite a few of my friends read it and they all have loved it. So yes I think you should read it :)

message 3: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn I've not finished it all but so far so good. I didn't read Matched, but I would think that the storyline is close to Divergent.

Marisa It is definitely worth a read. I did not like this book so much though. It seemed really far fetched and the ending just killed me. But it still is worth a read. Lauren Oliver is a remarkable author and she really painted a picture for me. I agree that it is closer to Matched. It really has no similarities to The Hunger Games besides being a Dystopian society. I don't think however, that it is like Divergent at all. The characters develop nicely in Delirium so go for it. You shouldn't be disappointed if you like Dystopian novels.

message 5: by Vaughn (last edited Feb 20, 2012 06:29PM) (new) - added it

Vaughn I mentioned Divergent because of the family structure and dynamic

Marisa Vaughn wrote: "I mentioned Divergent because of the family structure and dynamic"

The family structure is very different in Divergent. It really is not similar to Delirium. In Delirium Lena is condemned and in Divergent Tris is eventually supported.

Kathy BEST BOOK EVER!!!! Better than Matched and just as good as Hunger Games, here is a warning though you'll need tissues the ending is really sad. Also Fox 2000 picked up the film rights.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Thank you guys!! I will give it a try sometime this week :)))

Melissa Sodano This book is much more similar to Matched, but even better. Plus the sequel, Pandemonium is absolutely amazing. You really should read them!

message 10: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Burean I agree with others that this is much closer in theme to Matched than Hunger Games. Once you get past the silly premise, it's a total page turner. I could not put the book down.

message 11: by Allison (last edited Feb 29, 2012 03:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Allison I think ( personally) that delirum and matched have like the same plot line with a few major differences....... Basically it's the same: takes place in the future, government controls everything including who you marry, girl finds someone else that she's not allowed to have...... Yeah, been there done that. In fact i get the two mixed up frequently..... But i probably shouldn't have read them back to back :)

message 12: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam matched was excellent, but i hear delirium is better. i'm going to read it :) you should too!

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I really liked Delirium's plot and it was great! But I stopped reading it because of all the swearing in it. I personally really don't like it when authors drop the "F bomb" twice in one page. I don't know about the rest of you, but I had to put it down! :(

message 14: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara It is a great book. It starts off slow but picks up at the end. The best part is Pandemonium came out and it is way better than Delirium!

Marisa Divergent is better than Delirium, Delirium is better than Matched its that simple.

message 16: by MO (new) - rated it 5 stars

MO Totally agree. Divergent is the best, then delirium, then matched... and of course hunger games tops them all! Pandemonium (delirium sequel) came out yesterday. It's good so far, but I still can't believe there's no alex!

Heather MO wrote: "Totally agree. Divergent is the best, then delirium, then matched... and of course hunger games tops them all! Pandemonium (delirium sequel) came out yesterday. It's good so far, but I still can't ..."

I am really struggling with the no Alex thing

Christi I like Delirium, until I read Divergent! I am currently reading Pandemonium.... I feel something is missing from it and perhaps I have lost a bit of interest in storyline. However I will continue to read because i'm nosey and want to see what happens!

Divergent trumps most of the books I've read!

Cough*I love Four*Cough

kpopfan I think Divergent is better.... this book was ok.. Tobias is amazing!

kpopfan Christine wrote: "I like Delirium, until I read Divergent! I am currently reading Pandemonium.... I feel something is missing from it and perhaps I have lost a bit of interest in storyline. However I will continue t..."

So totally agree!

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley So what is Divergent about?? im guessing i should read that too. haha

message 22: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Ashley wrote: "So what is Divergent about?? im guessing i should read that too. haha"

Divergent is a dystopian type novel. I think when your 16 you pick a faction to belong in. There are 5 Dauntless, Candor, Abdegnation, Amnity and Euridite. Most people pick the faction they've been raised in. So the story is about a girl who was raised Abdegnation which is to be selfless, she takes a aptitude test which says she would be a good fit for 3 of the factions making her a divergent. She is told to never tell ANYONE that she is a divergent. I don't want to ruin the story but it is really good!

message 23: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy I think what makes Delirium different than all the other dystopians is that it has a non-traditional ending. It was really good. I really enjoyed all of the dystopian books that I have read so far...they are similar in that the powers that be want to deny people free will, but Matched, Divergent, Delirium, and Legend all have really well developed main characters so they are all worth reading.

Christi Bookfreak wrote: "Christine wrote: "I like Delirium, until I read Divergent! I am currently reading Pandemonium.... I feel something is missing from it and perhaps I have lost a bit of interest in storyline. However..."
Ignore what I said... Pandemonium was Awesome!! Way better than Delirium, IMO!

message 25: by Madelyn (last edited May 23, 2013 02:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Madelyn I definitely don't think you'll be disappointed if you read Delirium. It isn't much like Hunger Games, other than the fact that it's distopian. That's a common misconception, actually; that distopian novels are all alike. Really, I think it is the most diverse book genre I have had the pleasure of enjoying.
Delirium itself has incredible characters and complex underlying themes. The way the words twist and turn into a story makes is so enjoyable that you don't even know you're reading, that it isn't happening to you. I love it, and I think you might, too.

Mirkat Vaughn wrote: "I mentioned Divergent because of the family structure and dynamic"

I was thinking that the Invalids in Delirium track somewhat to the factionless in Divergent.

Melinda i think this series was really good. I'm currently on book 3 and am enjoying it so far. I definitely enjoyed hunger games books 1 and 2 and the uglies series more, but this one is a close second, for dystopian fiction series. :)

Polly Roth THIS BOOK IS AFREAKINGMAZING! Seriously like my favorite book!

message 29: by Book (new) - rated it 5 stars

Book Worm its one of my top 5 book......u must SERIOUSLY freaking read it .........its not similar to the hunger games though.........i can compare it to matched in similarity but not to hunger games