What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > ancient malay, white rajah, dyaks, journey into the jungle, shape shifting, demons, dayak tribes

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Morrigan (lauramorrigan) | 76 comments Ancient Malay or malay in the past. A white adventurer becomes the last white Rajah (I may have the word for king wrong), given the job by the dying malay king. The native people are tribes people called the dayaks or dyaks who live out in the forests.

His sister decides she wants to go on an expedition into the rainforest along with an youn (english?) adventurer, who I think was a lord. she was in love with him. she had to cut off all her hair so it did not get caught on trees. There is also the white man almost gone native who is grumpy but of course, there are sparks. Their guide is a native, a young man. There is also a young muslim man who the meaner men on the expedition amuse themselves by telling him the wrong way to pray to Mecca.

there are very strong supernatual and magical elements based on the myths of the area, including some witches who are only heads whose intestines dangle behind them and thier touch is said to rot you. There is also shape shifting into an eagle or owl. And a thousand eyed demon

I remember this book being very engrossing and would like to remember what it was. Thanks :)

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura Morrigan (lauramorrigan) | 76 comments I'm thinking maybe there was something about a hawk in the title. maybe land of the hawk, but that's not coming up. i think there was a hawk on the cover, and a young man on a cliff, a native dayak tribesman of malay, I think.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Morrigan (lauramorrigan) | 76 comments There was also stuff about male genital piercing among the ancient Malay tribes. The piercings were called Palangs.

there is a ghost with 1000 eyes or something who brings chaos and discord.

I think there was an Arab guide called Budrudreen or something.

The lord might have been called Lord John.

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments There's a book called The White Rajah by Tom Williams that might fit this. It definitely has a character named Budrudeen, but I don't know if that's the Arab Smith or Jones. It doesn't seem to have supernatural elements from the description, but I haven't actually read it.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Morrigan (lauramorrigan) | 76 comments Diana wrote: "There's a book called The White Rajah by Tom Williams that might fit this. It definitely has a character named Budrudeen, but I don't know if that's the Arab Smith or Jones. It doesn't seem to have..."

This sounds exactly like the bones of the story, but I think that the book I was looking for was a more magical fantasy type book written around that idea. But the information you gave might help me to find it! Thanks! You are a great help!

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments You're welcome! Hope it helps!

message 7: by Mir (new)

Mir | 703 comments There is a character by that name, and a White Rahah, in this story, but I don't know about supernatural elements: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Borneo_...

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura Morrigan (lauramorrigan) | 76 comments Miriam wrote: "There is a character by that name, and a White Rahah, in this story, but I don't know about supernatural elements: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Borneo_..."

Well, this is probably the guy this story was partially based on, but it was a novel, and if I remember right, most of the plot revolved around his sister's adventures in the jungle, although he did shapeshift to an owl at one time with the help of a wise man to save her from rape.

Thanks.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura Morrigan (lauramorrigan) | 76 comments It may have had borneo or Kuching in the title.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Morrigan (lauramorrigan) | 76 comments or Sarawak

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37760 comments Mod
Laura, are you still looking for this?

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response, moving to Abandoned.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura Morrigan (lauramorrigan) | 76 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "No response, moving to Abandoned."

yes still looking

message 14: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Maybe Shadow-Hawk?

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking now?