Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Queen Victoria

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellelpschell) | 2 comments I'm looking for a novel about young Queen Victoria. Any suggestions?

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 534 comments There's a YA novel on her early life: Prisoners in the Palace though I haven't read it so I don't know what it's like.

Victoria Victorious: The Story of Queen Victoria covers her whole life but I though the characterization when she was young was particularly good.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 269 comments I think Prisoners in the Palace is pretty good :)

Also, not a book but..have you seen the movie The Young Victoria? I LOVE that movie.

message 4: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Allison (The Allure of Books) wrote: "I think Prisoners in the Palace is pretty good :)

Also, not a book but..have you seen the movie The Young Victoria? I LOVE that movie."

I also loved The Young Victoria. Then again, I almost always love anything about royalty.

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 12 comments Oh I love this subject, I just read a biography about her that was written the year she died. I really didn't know that such old books were still readable, but the binding and picture pages held steady thankfully.

This thread brought up a desire in me to read some HF about her. Are most of the novels you've read all based around her younger life?

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 534 comments Courtney wrote: "Oh I love this subject, I just read a biography about her that was written the year she died. I really didn't know that such old books were still readable, but the binding and picture pages held st..."

A book from the early 20th century kept in reasonable condition will definitely be readable. Many books from this period are being digitized too, so they are available online for free places like www.gutenberg.org or http://www.archive.org/details/texts - I have found countless texts from the late 19th and early 20th century to aid in my family history research.

Oh, and I'd forgotten about Plaidy's other series on Victoria which starts with The Captive of Kensington Palace which focuses on her early life. Unfortunately, it hasn't been republished in the US yet, but you can find either used copies or order from the UK Amazon store where it has been republished recently: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captive-Kensi...

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (readingwithmargaret) | 308 comments You can order The Captive of Kensington Palace from bookdepository.com

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 29 comments There's some interesting fiction out there about Queen Victoria. The most outlandish one is Kim Newman's Anno Dracula. I have Cynthia Harrod-Eagles' I, Victoria on Mt. TBR.

message 9: by Caity (new)

Caity Margaret wrote: "You can order The Captive of Kensington Palace from bookdepository.com"

Michelle wrote: "I'm looking for a novel about young Queen Victoria. Any suggestions?"

Ooh I just bought that from better world books! Iim hoping to read it soon.