The Descendants -- Ask Kaui Hart Hemmings! discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 3 comments Mod
Thanks so much for joining the group. Kaui will be answering questions on March 13. In the meantime, please feel free to introduce yourself to the group.

message 2: by AmandaLil (new)

AmandaLil (dandado86) I'm really excited, I just read this one over a week long vacation in Hawaii.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyguglielmo) | 4 comments Thanks for creating the group. Excited to participate. Loved the book and movie. Hope to see more from Kaui!

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 3 comments Mod
Swapnil wrote: "Hi Patrick,

Do we start dropping in our question in the discussion board or are we supposed to post everything directly on 13th ?"

You can post whenever. Kaui will answer next week, but feel free to ask now.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex (redunk) | 2 comments Hi Patrick, I was curious what the format of this interview is going to be? Is this a live moderated discussion that people can follow, or are you soliciting questions for an interview that will be posted on the 13th or later date, or is Kaui going to log into this group and directly answer the questions posted here?

Thanks.

message 6: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Jarmula | 7 comments Dear Kaui,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to answer all of these questions! It is truly an honour to have this opportunity. Congratulations on having written two remarkable books and having written the basis for something that won an Oscar! You looked beautiful at the Academy Awards. :)

I'm a fifteen year-old fan from Canada, and I loved both House of Thieves and The Descendants. I read the House of Thieves first, and was astonished by how different the characters were - each one had a completely different feel. How were you able to make each character have a unique voice and personality, and keep all of them flawed, yet not overly so? Do you have any advice on doing that? Did you create your characters before hand, or begin writing the story and creating them from there? My favourite stories were the Minor Wars, Final Girl, and House of Thieves. Are you planning on ever writing more short stories? What advice do you have about short stories?

I recently read your interview on Bluray.com, and it sounds like you had a fair amount of involvement in the creation of the film. If one of your books is ever turned into a film again, would you do anything differently?

I read that you went to Sarah Lawrence College. That's one of the places that I am looking to go for post-secondary, do you think that for someone who wants to be a writer, that that would be a good choice? What do you feel is the best way to become a writer? Are there any "traps" in writing that surprised you in writing the Descendants or House of Thieves? Do you think that journalism is helpful in becoming a writer of fiction?

Do you write the story from start to finish, linearly, with lots of outlines and drafts?

Again, thank you so much for your time Kaui! Congratulations from a huge fan, and all the best for your future work, I know it will be incredible.

Sonia

message 7: by Kaui (new)

Kaui | 21 comments Mod
Hi everyone! Looking forward to your questions.
Sonia--I loved that you read House of Thieves. Writing short stories are wonderful ways to learn the craft of writing. They're quite grueling, really. Everything has to be whittled down and concentrated. Every line has to matter. I still write them--there's just not a big market for them.

message 8: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Jarmula | 7 comments Kaui wrote: "Hi everyone! Looking forward to your questions.
Sonia--I loved that you read House of Thieves. Writing short stories are wonderful ways to learn the craft of writing. They're quite grueling, re..."

Thank you Kaui for answering my question about short stories! If you're ever planning on writing more short stories, I would be very excited to read them.