Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The World's Worst Military Disasters: Chronicling the Greatest Catastrophies of All Time
Book Cover Help > Replacement cover art

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi,

The cover for this is here: http://www.goodreads.com/photo/author...

Kind regards

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42443 comments Mod
Added.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi,

Quick work, Rivka.
I now have the cover for Day of Infamy here http://www.goodreads.com/photo/author...

Kind regards

message 4: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) | 20 comments Added the cover.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina | 6 comments Added cover for 5

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Got 7.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

message 11: by Koenraad (new)

Koenraad (koenraadkelemen) | 5016 comments Got 10.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

message 15: by Ana (last edited Feb 24, 2012 12:45PM) (new)

Ana | 151 comments Done 9, 12,13 & 14.

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Got 16.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

message 19: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments #18 - Done

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks,

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

message 22: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments #21 - Done

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi again,

The Day The Universe Changed is now here
http://www.goodreads.com/photo/author...

BTW, this is the first edition, published 1985 by the British Broadcasting Corporation, if someone could update the details.

Thanks

message 25: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Got #23 & #24

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

message 27: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments Wow. You did run across some old books. According to Wikipedia, that book's name was changed in 1940 (here in the States at least) due to very negative, racial connotations of that word. I don't know how long it was printed in England with it. (It was first published in 1939.) Interesting to see evidence of how things have changed in the last 73 years.

Anyway, I added the cover and changed the title of the entry to match the title on it.

message 28: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It was never published under that title in the US. The original US pub title made it "Indians" instead.

More recently, it has been common to publish it as "And Then There Were None".

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Tntexas wrote: "Wow. You did run across some old books. According to Wikipedia, that book's name was changed in 1940 (here in the States at least) due to very negative, racial connotations of that word. I don't kn..."

It's certainly interesting. My copy was published as late as 1978. It's worth remembering that in England, for many years, that word was not regarded in the same light, largely, as I believe, because it was not used about people; there were scarcely any black people in England until the Fifties, so you can argue that there was no one to be offended.

In fact, the title of this doesn't refer to people either, but to little statuettes (I bet you can't buy those in Habitat these days!). I'm stuffed if I know what the golliwog's got to do with the story, though.

message 30: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I believe it was published in the UK under the original title at least as late as the mid-80s.

message 31: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments I think you're right, rivka, & C.J. Just goes to show how different English can be from country to country.

As for the statuettes, Wikipedia says they were visual representations of a nursery rhyme that marked off the deaths of the people on the island. Have no idea if they're correct on that or not since I haven't read the book, but I'm assuming they are.

message 32: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I have read it, and yes.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Tntexas wrote: "I think you're right, rivka, & C.J. Just goes to show how different English can be from country to country.

As for the statuettes, Wikipedia says they were visual representations of a nursery rhym..."

I think it was Shaw who described Britain and American as "two countries divided by a common language". Well, he ought to have known; he was Irish and they're a different country now.

As to the plot, my recollection agrees with Wikipedia but I haven't read it in donkey's years: probably the mid-80s. How the Bowdlerized version reads, I couldn't guess. I'm sure there's a big twist in the end, but I can't spoil it for anyone because I just cannot remember.

message 34: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

C.J. wrote: "How the Bowdlerized version reads"

It wasn't. They just changed all instances of "nigger(s)" to read "Indian(s)". The plot wasn't changed at all, and the text barely was.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks rivka