Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Ministry of Information: reprints of wartime publications

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 20, 2012 10:18AM) (new)

Hi,

There seem to be a number of reprints of wartime HMSO M of I publications that show Tim Coates as the author. I have checked in the British Library catalogue and that confirms that it is a facsimile. The error appears to be have been generated by Amazon at some stage.

The M of I books do not credit an author and I have been adding originals to Ministry of Information. I would suggest, in view of this, that East of Malta, West of Suez should be altered to show Ministry of Information and then merged with East of Malta, West of Suez: The Admiralty Account of the Naval War in the Eastern Mediterranean September 1939 to March 1941.

I this is satisfactory, I shall advise of other cases as I can confirm them. Incidentally, the BL catalogue shows the reprint as 63 pages rather than 150.

Kind regards

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23216 comments C.J. those look fascinating. Off to fix and combine :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Sandra wrote: "C.J. those look fascinating. Off to fix and combine :)"

Thanks Sandra,

Fascinating? Definitely. These are a real part of history. I grew up with loads of these in the bookcase; my parents bought them new. I've picked some other up from ebay. Some of the more common ones go for £1-3. It's amazing.

Next one is:
Fleet Air Arm: The Admiralty Account of Naval Air Operations
The reprint is:
Fleet Air Arm. The correct page count per Brit Lib is 127.

Thanks again

CJ

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23216 comments Done CJ :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi again,

We now have:
The Battle Of Egypt

The reprint is:The Battle Of Egypt

Thanks

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23216 comments CJ I've fixed author & combined.

Have you got a copy of the cover for the new one? Because its showing only the small & medium, and not the large cover. Best way to fix it is to reupload the cover.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Sandra wrote: "CJ I've fixed author & combined.

Have you got a copy of the cover for the new one? Because its showing only the small & medium, and not the large cover. Best way to fix it is to reupload the cover."

Hi,

Sorry! I only have the original. There is a cover here http://openlibrary.org/works/OL793662... but I can't find any word whether Openlibrary is kosher for our purposes. TSO (as I believe HMSO now is) no longer has pages for these.

Kind regards

Kind regards

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23216 comments Fixed.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi again,

I've now added Roof over Britain.
The reprint is here Roof Over Britain.
British Library show the page count as 88.

Kind regards

message 10: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Fixed. :)

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23216 comments Done C.J. :)