Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Nook - The Technical Side > Does Nook 3G still work?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frank (new)

Frank (fmorrison42) | 2 comments So I currently have a N1E from back in the day. However, it is beginning to show signs of its eventual demise. I love the way this one works and don't think I'm quite ready to give into the 'Simple Touch'. I want to get the same kind from a store somewhere but I'm also thinking about getting the 3G version so that I don't always have to have an internet connection just to get a new book I've been wanting. My only concern is, since BN did away with the 3G versions of their eReaders, did they also get rid of the 3G service they provided? Or is that still up and running for those of us left? Does anyone have a 3G version and use it? Does it work well, and most importantly is it still free?

message 2: by Jamie (JK) (last edited Feb 20, 2012 10:47AM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) 3G service is still up and running for now.

I still use, and love, my Nook 3G. =]

message 3: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (last edited Feb 20, 2012 12:00PM) (new)

willaful | 414 comments Mod
I still use the 3G Nook, but I can't speak to the 3G service because it has never worked for me, even though I'm supposed to be in a service area. I have started seeing general weirdnesses and battery life issues, and replacement batteries no longer seem to be available through B&N, so I suspect I won't be able to use this one that much longer. Currently I use it while traveling, because I worry less about it being stolen.

I have to say though, the Touch is easier to use in just about every regard. Almost everything that annoyed me about the 3G was fixed in the Touch.

message 4: by Frank (new)

Frank (fmorrison42) | 2 comments willaful wrote: "I still use the 3G Nook, but I can't speak to the 3G service because it has never worked for me, even though I'm supposed to be in a service area. I have started seeing general weirdnesses and batt..."

Are you referring to the Simple Touch?

message 5: by Katya (last edited Feb 20, 2012 01:21PM) (new)

Katya | 23 comments I bought my simple touch in November on Black Friday for $79.00 and have never touched my Nook Original 3G since that day. I put it in my drawer and there it sits.

I thought I would miss my 3G connectivity since I don't have Wifi at my house but as it turns out WIFI is everywhere. Amazingly I do not miss having the 3G.

I either go to work to download it (there 5-6 days a week) or I drive down the street to my friendly McDonalds for a 1 dollar cup of coffee and it downloads. I don't need to get out of my car...as I do at B&N and go in the store to use their WIFI.

I also find I buy the majority of my books from smashwords.com, fictionwise.com and publisher sites so I end up using my computer to load then anyway.

I only wanted an ereader not a tablet and I wanted something small that would be light and fit in my bag. The Simple Touch fits the bill. For 50 more dollars I could have bought the Kindle but I like the look of the NST better and the price is better.

PS. Battery life is amazing on NST....1-2 weeks with use.

message 6: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (last edited Feb 20, 2012 02:21PM) (new)

willaful | 414 comments Mod
Frank wrote: "willaful wrote: "I still use the 3G Nook, but I can't speak to the 3G service because it has never worked for me, even though I'm supposed to be in a service area. I have started seeing general wei..."

No, but I see why you were confused by my message. I own both the 3G and the Simple Touch. I much prefer the ST, but as I mentioned, still use the 3G when traveling.

message 7: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments I have the Nook 3G and the Simple Touch as well and I will admit. My 3G has gone to the wayside. I gave it to my sister who basically never uses it since she is not really a big reading fan.

message 8: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (yvonne473) | 16 comments I have N1E and still use it. I mainly use my Nook Color but N1E comes in handy. It still works as good as when I originally got it.

message 9: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 18 comments I still have my original Nook (the 1st generation) and it works perfectly. FWIW though, I never used the 3G - I always had WiFi either at home, work or the store. I did just get a Nook tablet, but I take the original to the gym.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 360 comments I have the N1E, and the Simple Touch, I use the 3G to shop on my N1E since I don't have WiFi at home and it is working great for me - no issues.

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott | 292 comments I still use my N1E everyday. The rest of my family hav the Nook Touch but I prefer the N1E. I just hope it never breaks.

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter Gephardt | 2 comments I have the Nook WiFi, but FYI cowboom apparently has used 3G or WiFi originals available. My understanding is that those trade ins that Best Buy polishes up and then resells. http://www.cowboom.com/search/results...

message 13: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) Scott wrote: "I still use my N1E everyday. The rest of my family hav the Nook Touch but I prefer the N1E. I just hope it never breaks."

I am with you, Scott. I use mine everyday!! Works great for me. The rest of my family have the ST and a Nook Color. I prefer my original!

message 14: by Threebeers (new)

Threebeers | 1 comments To answer the original question,just tried 3g and it pulled up the BN Daybook, so it still works.

I've never really used the 3g because I use this device mostly for light web reading outdoors. With the right configuration, mobile websites of newspapers and magazines show nicely on this screen. And you can play music. And a user-replaceable battery. And an SD slot. So despite having an NST I keep this around. Not worth it to sell for maybe 30 bucks on ebay. But if you are looking for a used ereader, you could do worse than this.

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda Van Wert (lindalawsonvanwert) | 57 comments Yes , my N13 still works but I reading my Nook on my iPad.