Scott Westerfeld Books discussion

Uglies Series > Book Discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) | 254 comments Mod
I haven't read any of these yet, but I do know there will be a graphic novel that's coming out.

message 2: by s-hastings (new)

s-hastings (spencercavanaugh) | 225 comments LOVE THESE. We should totally make an RP for them.

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) | 254 comments Mod
I have to read them still, so you can be in charge of it if you want.

message 4: by s-hastings (new)

s-hastings (spencercavanaugh) | 225 comments Sure, I can just give you a brief overview.

Okeydokey.

message 6: by s-hastings (new)

s-hastings (spencercavanaugh) | 225 comments So, in the futuristic world of the Uglies, everyone between the ages of 12 and 15 is considered an "Ugly". As in, they have yet to undergo the surgery to make then a "Pretty". When a child turns twelve they are considered "Ugly". They live in highly monitored dorms in Uglyville and attend middle and high school. Uglies are encouraged to call each other nicknames based on their imperfections ex: fatty, skinny, squint. When a person turns 16 they are given a huge operation that makes them perfect looking and beautiful. Right after receiving the operation, they become New Pretties: obsessed with "staying bubbly" (or blissfully happy), new pretties look for thrills. Drinking champagne and hot air balloons are a few activities new pretties participate in. New pretties live in mansions in New Pretty Towns that require fast action and independent thinking later in life. The point of these operations is to stop wars and disagreements among people just because they look different from one another (by extending the halo effect to everyone). It is later discovered that the operation gives people brain damage (e.g., brain lesions presumably similar in effect to a lobotomy), eliminating disputes, anger, unhappiness, creativity, despair, or a desire to be different. The brain damage is reversible, as people in high pressure situations in the prettytime (Doctors, Special Circumstances operatives, Park Rangers, Fire Fighters, etc.) had the lesions removed when they became middle pretties (being a Pretty for a while).
Long story short, they live in a world dominated by looks. It's kind of like the Giver, but a bit different.

OK! I understand now. I mean, I read a lot about it and have learned stuff, but didn't know everything. Do you want to make the character topic?

message 8: by s-hastings (last edited Feb 25, 2012 12:32PM) (new)

s-hastings (spencercavanaugh) | 225 comments Awesome ya! Will u rp? Hey, listen sorry Im so off about the Leviathan RP. Like, Im this huge M*A*S*H fan, and I spent hours watching it last night, and im sick. So that kind of makes for a confused head lol.

haha no prob

message 10: by s-hastings (new)

s-hastings (spencercavanaugh) | 225 comments lol yay!