The Sword and Laser discussion

Alternate Pick?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bree (new)

Bree (breeatlast) | 52 comments So, it looks like The Lies of Locke Lamora is our next sword, assuming no unexpected craziness occurs. This is easily one of my favorite books, but I just finished it a few weeks ago and it's too soon to re-read it. I'm guessing there are some other people in the same boat, so . . . want to read something else? I'd be down for Assassin's Apprentice or anything else that isn't the size of an encyclopedia.

message 2: by Nick (last edited Feb 20, 2012 10:52AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I have no problem with that, except, our currently reading section is getting a bit crowded and Veronica is still working on 1Q84. She'll probably scream "No!!!" at her computer when she reads your post in which case we should definitely make it a alternate pick. :-)

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Veronica's already read Assassin's Apprentice, so we might be safe from her ire.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 20, 2012 10:12AM) (new)

Go for The Magicians. I just really want to see what you all say about it. :P

message 6: by Israel (new)

Israel | 80 comments I've already read all of the four official choices so I think I'll start Throne of the Crescent Moon as my active ebook.

message 7: by Jared (new)

Jared | 5 comments I'm very new to the group so I have to ask how we arrive at "the pick" and how it's communicated. I ask only because I have no idea what I'm supposed to read. :P

message 8: by Kate (last edited Feb 20, 2012 01:36PM) (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Jared wrote: "I'm very new to the group so I have to ask how we arrive at "the pick" and how it's communicated. I ask only because I have no idea what I'm supposed to read. :P"

It's an impermeable combination of polls, throwing out suggestions, new releases we've been excited about for ages, and things that catch Tom's or Veronica's eye. Anything we pick will be kicked off on the podcast. But we voted on the latest pick. http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/41...
It's The Lies of Locke Lamora

message 9: by Bree (new)

Bree (breeatlast) | 52 comments I wouldn't mind reading Throne of the Crescent Moon! I just bought it for Kindle the other day. Anyone else interested?

message 10: by Been (new)

Been | 125 comments I thought that Throne of the Crescent Moon sounded like one of the more interesting ones from the selection, so I'll be reading that despite it not getting many though. I don't think I've ever read an Arabian fantasy story before, and there's a whole mythology there that I've never really delved into. Plus the Goodreads description is pretty impressive sounding, so that's yet another reason.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I changed my mind. I'm in for Throne. Whose gonna start it off?

message 12: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments The throne sound totally different. I'll probably give it a try.

message 13: by Bree (new)

Bree (breeatlast) | 52 comments I'll start reading it tonight. Go team!