Art Crime discussion

Most Stolen Artists > Most Stolen Artists

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ilana (new)

Ilana (lamort) | 162 comments Mod
The Art Loss Register has compiled a top ten list of the most stolen Artists. What do you think?

The top 10 list of artists works stolen:

1) Pablo Picasso - 1,147
2) Nick Lawrence - 557
3) Marc Chagall - 516
4) Karel Appel - 505
5) Salvador Dali - 505
6) Joan Miro - 478
7) David Levine - 343
7) Andy Warhol - 343
9) Rembrandt - 337
10) Peter Reinicke - 336

http://www.artlyst.com/articles/art-l...

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 18 comments There was a comment somewhere in the Art Lovers group about the most stolen artwork by different artists. Someone said Rembrandt was the artist most victimized by theft of his work. Another person relayed that they thought it was Picasso. This timeline is very helpful for clarification.

There are a couple of artists listed with whom I am not familiar. I find it interesting that Appel would be fourth. But my taste and knowledge does not dictate the history, taste in art, or value of the work, thus my observation is pretty much void.

message 3: by Ilana (new)

Taste, value and volume of work are all factors in who are the most stolen Artists. If an artist has a large body of work available it is more likely that more of it will be stolen at one point or another. Also if more of an artist work is privately owned it might be more likely to be stolen, it is also true that museum in generally have inadequate security that make them easy targets. Did you know that two different versions of The Scream were stolen at different times from the same museum.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 18 comments Yes, wasn't it in Oslo or somewhere like that that The Scream(s) were stolen?

message 5: by Ilana (new)

I have to correct myself they were stolen from two different museums Munch Museum and National Gallery both are in the same city Oslo, Norway.