The Teen Debaters discussion

Other > Susan G. Komen and Planned Parenthood

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly. I don't understand why everyone is so against Planned Parenthood. Only a very small fraction of what they provide is abortions. They mostly give out birth control, and pap smears, and breast exams.

When I went to Washington D.C we ran into a Planned Parenthood rally on the mall, and I got a T-shirt that says "I stand with Planned Parenthood". I mostly use it as a sleep shirt, because it's ten sizes too big, though. :(

message 2: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Kira Criss wrote: "I don't think it was. The money wasn't even going to abortions. And this isn't about whether abortion is ethical or not. It's about providing breast exams for women."

Yes, but they are using their money to perform abortions.

I'm all for it!

message 3: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Rainbow Dash/Silverstream wrote: "Exactly. I don't understand why everyone is so against Planned Parenthood. Only a very small fraction of what they provide is abortions. They mostly give out birth control, and pap smears, and brea..."

Small fraction? WHO CARES? If they perform one abortion, it's bound to piss people off. It pisses me off.

message 4: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Rainbow Dash/Silverstream wrote: "Exactly. I don't understand why everyone is so against Planned Parenthood. Only a very small fraction of what they provide is abortions. They mostly give out birth control, and pap smears, and brea..."

Small fraction? WHO CARES? If they perform one abortion, it's bound to piss people off. It pisses me off.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It's kind of funny, though. Because in the end Planned Parenthood got a boatload of donations. Susan G. Komen plan kinda back-fired. XD

Good point, Kira. The money wasn't even going to abortions, yet the mere thought of PP (I'm just going to call it that now) supporting Susan G Komen. It's crazy.

message 6: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Marie wrote: "That's not fair. Like you said, Kira, the money wasn't even going to abortions, so it's not like they were supporting the abortions. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me."

How is it not fair? They don't have to give money to Planned Parenthood if they don't want to.

And besides, if they don't like what they are doing with their money then they don't have to keep funding them.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol, I laughed at your note at the end.

Exactly. If they stopped working with PP it's depriving some women of getting breast exams. Isn't that VERY hypocritical of them? And it just makes them look like jerks.

message 8: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Think about it this way: I give $5 to you and you already have $50. So now you have $55. Then you use $45 of your $55 to pay for breast exams and the other $10 for abortions.

So technically, they aren't using Susan's money for abortions. But they are still using PP's money for abortions.

message 9: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS I'm really sorry for you. But that really doesn't change my opinion; it was Susan G. Komen's money first. And if that organization doesn't want to fund Planned Parenthood because of what they are doing, then that is totally their decision. (view spoiler) What I'm trying to get out of it is maybe Susan G. Komen For The Cure doesn't like abortions and is pro-life. Maybe they don't want to fund an organization that, whatever the percentage, uses money to perform abortions.

And they don't have to fund anyone. It's totally fair. And I'm with them; abortions are wrong. Absolutely sickening and WRONG.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my God. The Penn State thing was just horrible. I can't believe people supported Joe Paterno (sp?) and Jerry Sandusky. My dad was somewhat abused like that when he was really young, so it touched my family deeply. It's just disgusting.

Back on track, I kind of fell you, LuhvBOOKS. It does make a little sense that they wouldn't want to get involved with that, but it's kind of pathetic and very cruel that they wouldn't want to help others with breast exams.

message 11: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Kira Criss wrote: "But guess what? Susan G. Komen funds Penn State for research. And nobody's going bezerk about that."

What's so bad about research in Penn State?

message 12: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Rainbow Dash/Silverstream wrote: "Oh my God. The Penn State thing was just horrible. I can't believe people supported Joe Paterno (sp?) and Jerry Sandusky. My dad was somewhat abused like that when he was really young, so it touche..."

It's pretty much making a stand.

It probably won't stop Planned Parenthood from performing abortions, but if they don't like what they are doing, then its not fair.

Its like this: (I'm terrible with examples, so just bear with me XD)

An charitable organization (lets say its Talmart) is a charity that takes donations to buy food for the homeless. But a small percenatge of their money goes to hiring drug trafikkers.

If I'm funding Talmart, I wouldn't approve of the small percentage of my money going into drug trafikkers' pay. I don't care how small the percenatge is; I wouldn't stand for it.

See my point. (view spoiler)

message 13: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Talmart = Walmart + Target

I didn't want to offend the companies.

Just trying to be safe. xD

message 14: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Noppers.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, that's why. I suggest you google it or something, but basically a coach molested tons of young boys and another person saw him molesting the kid, but said nothing. There's way more to it then that, but that's a small summary.

message 16: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS How does a coach molesting kids have anything to do with Research being down in Penn State?

message 17: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS BECAUSE PLANNED PARENTHOOD PAYS FOR ABORTIONS. ITS DIRECT.

But RESEARCH doesn't have anything to do with a coach molesting kids. RESEARCH DIDN'T CAUSE THAT. The stupid coach did. It was his decision, not research's.

Just because a scandal happened doesn't automatically make it Penn State's fault.

message 18: by luhvBOOKS (last edited Feb 24, 2012 03:03PM) (new)

luhvBOOKS The money might be indirect, but its still Planned PArenthood paying for it.

Susan G. Komen -> Planned Parenthood -> BIG STACK OF $$ -> Abortions

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Kira Criss wrote: "Susan G. Komen->Penn State->BIG STACK OF $$->Jerry Sandusky->Money for his organization to "help young boys" -_-"

OH MY GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH. SAME TO YOU MARIE.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

i'm with luhvBOOKS.

message 21: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS How is it? Did Penn State choose to have a coach molest kids?

But Planned Parenthood did choose to perform abortions.

message 22: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS I highly doubt thats the whole story.

I bet they paid him nd didn't know what he was doing. Unlike abortions.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

look its their money they spend it how they want.

message 24: by Tyrinn (new)

Tyrinn Smuppet | 67 comments I agree with Kira. And now for something EXTREMELY off topic, Luhvbooks, are you aware that the *~Colin Morgan/ JD forever~* part of your name makes it look like you ship them, together? It really does, and that reeeeallly doesn't seem like your sort of thing.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL Tyrinn! I just laughed so hard!

message 26: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Um, good to know. I've actually had that name for quite a while (about five months) and you are the first person to mention it.

Says something, doesn't it?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

LuhvBOOKS, she was just pointing out something she noticed, you don't have to go insulting her.

message 28: by Tyrinn (new)

Tyrinn Smuppet | 67 comments tsk tsk you know everyone's just giggling behind your back.

-she joked jokingly

message 29: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments Maybe because Tyrinn's the only one brave enough to mention it.

;D

message 30: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Rainbow Dash/TeaDrinkingCat wrote: "LuhvBOOKS, she was just pointing out something she noticed, you don't have to go insulting her."

And how did I insult her...?

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 11, 2012 10:12AM) (new)

calm down guys. just let it slide, kay?

message 32: by Tyrinn (new)

Tyrinn Smuppet | 67 comments hehe, I will never forget

message 33: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Whatevs.