The Teen Debaters discussion

Other > Beauty Pageants

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah for little kids, thats just gross. but i think beauty pageants shouldnt be allowed cuz people shouldnt be judged on how they look. then again, nobody's forcing anybody to enter..

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Ugh. I've always hated pageants. When I was five my aunts entered me into one without my mom's consent. She was pretty pissed. But seriously, I think people who do that stuff are really shallow. It's super degrading for the older women who do it. It makes me feel really embarrassed to be a girl. You don't see as many men doing all that Victoria's Secret modeling and stuff. It's degrading.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

exactly. it sends the wrong message. its degrading and objectifying like you guys said. why can't you have talent shows instead?

the kids who enter into beauty pageants may end up being very self-centered and shallow, and obsessed with their looks and figure. looks is something you can't change. it lowers the self confidence of the child. she feels that she needs to be beautiful, MORE beautiful, and thats something she can't help

message 4: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS It's not degrading for people who win.

message 5: by Yuman (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments oh, haha, but that's what? one out of twenty-five kids out of one out of like 3 thousand beauty pageants in the world.

I agree with you word for word on that, Asmaa.

message 6: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS I know a few people who have been in beauty pageants (view spoiler) and they are straight A students with a bright future. One (view spoiler) even goes to a homeless shelter every other weekend.

You all are pretty much basing your opinions off Toddler in Tiaras. If that's so, go to that debate. Not all kids who are in beauty pageants act like that. If the girls on there didn't act like how they did, they wouldn't really have a show. They just soooo bratty! :/

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Even at older ages, I think that they're pretty wrong. Even if people who do compete are very nice, it's still teaching them a wrong lesson. Beauty is everything. They can't judge you on personality in pageants. Just your fake tan, flipper, and smile. Oh, and dresses.

message 8: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Rainbow Dash/Silverstream wrote: "Even at older ages, I think that they're pretty wrong. Even if people who do compete are very nice, it's still teaching them a wrong lesson. Beauty is everything. They can't judge you on personalit..."

Beauty pageants aren't just about the beauty of it. They have a talnet portion and I think a global thinking porton as well.

message 9: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) If beauty pageants were more about the skill and less about judging girls for their face and body, more of the singing/dancing skills, I'd be okay with them. Look at the name: "Beauty" pageants. Not "Singing" pageants. Not "Dancing" pageants. It's teaching young children that their faces make them the beautiful people, not their hearts.

message 10: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS I agree.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Libby wrote: "If beauty pageants were more about the skill and less about judging girls for their face and body, more of the singing/dancing skills, I'd be okay with them. Look at the name: "Beauty" pageants. No..."

exactly. talent shows are great. teach your kid a skill. learn a skill yourself. but beauty pageants are very objectifying and tell the child that her looks are what matter not her inner personality, or who she really is.

message 12: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Definitely :)

message 13: by Yuman (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments absolutely! If it really only judged you on talent, it would be called a Talent Show!

message 14: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) ^^^^^^^^^exactly:DD