Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2012 discussion

Level 1: Pike's Peak > Jo Ann's Ant Hill

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments Wahoo finished another book on my journey up my ant hill...9 more to go...:)

message 2: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments Have you got a list anywhere?

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Go Jo Ann, Go!

message 4: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments no list...only whatever i lay my hands on...i am using my Color Nook from Barnes & Noble...love it...a library & bookstore in one! Wahoo! :) also i am catching up on TV shows i have missed: i can not watch & read at the same time...and i keep adding books to my shelves here on GoodReads...

message 5: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments Jemidar wrote: "Have you got a list anywhere?"

no list...

message 6: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments Chris wrote: "Go Jo Ann, Go!"

Thank You! :)

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Ant Hill -- that is so funny!

message 8: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments we have to start out small...that way I dont feel defeated...so for now i am ahead of my goal!

message 9: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments ok question time: book vs movie; which one do you like/love better? and why...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

It depends on the adaptation, and how much I love the book. If the adaptation is good, it enhances my enjoyment of the book. On the rare occasion, the movie is better than the book. I really enjoyed the film version of The Painted Veil. The ending was a bit more satisfying. I did not enjoy the latest film version of Jane Eyre; the book is superior.

message 11: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments I preferred the movie Strangers on Train versus Patricia Highsmith's book. I just watched Pope Joan this weekend and it transferred over fairly well visually but I think my nod goes to the book. I think To Kill A Mockingbird is one of those rarities where the book and movie are both wonderful. So I agree with Jeannette's answer, it all in how its done.

Regarding a list I haven't started mine yet, since I only have one so far. For some reason I at least want to have two under my belt. BTW, I thought it was part of the challenge to provide a list.

message 12: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments Jeannette wrote: "It depends on the adaptation, and how much I love the book. If the adaptation is good, it enhances my enjoyment of the book. On the rare occasion, the movie is better than the book. I really enj..."

i try to read the book before the hersay of a movie is going to to be made...i love series books (Harry Potter & LOTR comes to mind...) i read The Hobbit and can not wait for it to come out this December by the same director that did LOTR! :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

With Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield!

btw, I loved BBC's North & South, even if it did take liberties with the book. One of the most romantic scenes I've ever watched.

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) i try to read the book before the hersay of a movie is going to to be made...i love series books (Harry Potter & LOTR comes to mind...) i read The Hobbit and can not wait for it to come out this December by the same director that did LOTR! :) ..."

Having just read The Hobbit, I am also looking forward to the film! However, sometimes I prefer to read the book AFTER I've seen the film. This is on the basis that if I like the film, chances are that I'll love the book. I've so often been really disappointed by the film version of a book I really like: the film of The Handmaid's Tale springs to mind in that regard.

message 15: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments has anyone read The Thirteenth Tale?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I started it, but didn't finish it. It's not my kind of story. But, I'm probably in the minority.

message 17: by Bev (last edited Mar 01, 2012 06:13PM) (new)

Bev | 214 comments Mod
Yes, I've read the Thirteenth Tale--last year. I loved it.

My review: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/20...

message 18: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments Yes, I read The Thirteenth Tale last year and loved it. I had no idea what to expect going in and was pleasantly surprised :-).

message 19: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments i marked it as a re-read...there is another book that is out that is in line of Jane Erye...but set in the 1960's...i will have to look it up & post here...

message 20: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) I really liked it too, even if it's not my usual thing. But every now and then I like to fit in a Gothic story.

My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I liked The Forgotten Garden too. Palate cleansing, and all that.

message 21: by Hannah (last edited Mar 02, 2012 05:25AM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) I tried to read The Thirteenth Tale but it bored me so I gave up.

Loved The Forgotten Garden.

message 22: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments here is the book i was talking about... The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey...has anyone read it yet?

message 23: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments Also does anyone have a Barnes & Noble Nook? would you care to be Friends with me?

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Jo Ann wrote: "here is the book i was talking about... The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey...has anyone read it yet?"

It's on my tbr list, but it's just come out, so I don't even know anyone who has read it.

message 25: by Jo Ann (last edited Mar 04, 2012 12:06PM) (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments i have it tagged as getting a sample reading...but have not had a chance to do it yet...B&N Nook price is $12.99-I hope the price comes down a bit before it get it...

message 26: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments Here is another question: has anyone started or is reading: The Games of Thrones series (The Ice & Fire series?)

message 27: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments which series do you like better: Lord of the Rings or The Game of Thrones???

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) LOTR all the way. Game of Thrones bugs me for a couple reason, part of which is my own hang up (I hate the writing off of elder siblings. I'm elder sibling)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Jo Ann wrote: "i have it tagged as getting a sample reading...but have not had a chance to do it yet...B&N Nook price is $12.99-I hope the price comes down a bit before it get it..."

I'd wait for some reviews, at least on goodreads. These re-tellings of classics tend to be more miss than hit, in my experience.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Chris wrote: "LOTR all the way. Game of Thrones bugs me for a couple reason, part of which is my own hang up (I hate the writing off of elder siblings. I'm elder sibling)"

Well, don't forget Boromir! ;)

message 31: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments I was underwhelmed by the Thirteenth Tale so it seems to be a love or meh kind of book.

It's funny the Game of Thrones series was mentioned. I've been asking friends who are reading it what draws them to it and why they like it. I just had to because it was showing up in my feeds so regularly. I still haven't decided if I will give it a shot or not. Ron had the first one somewhere but never read it for some reason, which makes me wonder.

message 32: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments Chris wrote: "LOTR all the way. Game of Thrones bugs me for a couple reason, part of which is my own hang up (I hate the writing off of elder siblings. I'm elder sibling)"

have you watched the HBO series? the first season is coming out on DVD...second season starts either this month or the next...

message 33: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments Wahoo finished another book! 4 out of 12 done for this year...and off to another one...

message 34: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Good job! You might have to think about bumping up a level.

message 35: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments Hayes wrote: "Good job! You might have to think about bumping up a level."

naw i rather stay here...realistic to obtain! :)

message 36: by Christine (last edited Mar 10, 2012 05:39PM) (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Jeannette wrote: "Chris wrote: "LOTR all the way. Game of Thrones bugs me for a couple reason, part of which is my own hang up (I hate the writing off of elder siblings. I'm elder sibling)"

Well, don't forget Bor..."

I know. Poor B but at least Sean Bean played him (and who doesn't love Sean Bean?). Actually, speaking of Bean, it wasn't surprising that he palyed Boromir. More Bean always seems to die unless he's Sharpe.

message 37: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Jo Ann wrote: "Chris wrote: "LOTR all the way. Game of Thrones bugs me for a couple reason, part of which is my own hang up (I hate the writing off of elder siblings. I'm elder sibling)"

have you watched the H..."

I tried watching it, I really did for I liked several of the actors in it. But no, it really didn't work. The only HBO series I ever really grooved on was The Wire.

message 38: by Jo Ann (last edited Mar 22, 2012 02:14PM) (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments I am upset...unable to do any reading right now: my Nook is down & until B&N gets another charge cord i can not use it...Nook powers down and loses all of my bookmarks! so now i will be behind my reading goals! <( Anyonoe else having the same type of problems?

message 39: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments OMG, you will lose all your bookmarks and are without your reader! Yikes, that's awful. How long will it take to get your new cord?

Does your Nook not have the sync and cloud stuff that Kindle does, where everything is backed up and saved? At least then you could read on other devices. I hope you have paper books to tide you over, if not a trip to the library to pick up some of the books you were in the middle of.

Anytime, for any reason, you are prevented from reading is a form of torture to a booklover. So hang in there.

message 40: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments we are hanging & swinging on a vine...i personally ordered some back-ups...online & at the store...now we will see which one is faster!!! now for back-up via WI-fi ya but then when i went to open on my other soft touch Nook it opened to page 1! so i do better leaving well enough alone until i get my charge cords...in the mean time i have magazines i can page through and movies from Netflix - but i miss reading in bed and when i want quiet time!!! :(

message 41: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments I am back in business - wahoo! just got my charging cord for my Nook: results: ordering on line is faster than ordering it at the store!!! :) so i am charging my Nook now so i will be reading again before the night!

message 42: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments regarding my book marks on the "lost" Nook they were there & i had to do some "spring" cleaning but it seems to be alright! ya baby...getting ready for reading tonight!!! so will my Nook is charging i will go out & do my errands...l@@ks like rain here...nothing better than a comfy chair, afghan, popcorn, soda, background music & a BOOK!

message 43: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Yay Jo Ann, that is very good news!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I like your plan, Jo Ann. Good to hear things were not as messed up as they could have been.

message 45: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments Jo Ann, so glad you are no longer hanging and swinging on that vine. That cord got to you really quick. Reading your posts reminded me I needed to charge my Kindle for reading tonight, thank you very much. We may have rain too, it would be nice if it was enough to put out some of these brush fires. My reading night will also include some of our cats curled up around me. One of them really loves the Kindle and has to come up and rub on it, she will not be denied. I have to be careful or she'll end up changing pages and losing my spot.

message 46: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments Dawn (& Ron) wrote: "Jo Ann, so glad you are no longer hanging and swinging on that vine. That cord got to you really quick. Reading your posts reminded me I needed to charge my Kindle for reading tonight, thank you ve..."

i have dogs...and i love to have 1 hour of UN-disturbed time is impossible unless they are sleeping & they know where i am and some sleep right on top of my feet...do not move or all trouble erupts!

message 47: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments i went today to see "The Hunger Games" movie...debating whether or not to buy the 3 books...any suggestions? yay or nay & why...

message 48: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Was the movie good?

message 49: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 55 comments Lee wrote: "Was the movie good?"

not bad but i did not read the books...so i have nothing to judge it by...now i did downloaded a sample to my Nook tonight...have you read the series?

message 50: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Yes, I've read all three. I enjoyed them and am definitely looking forward to seeing the movie. :-)

« previous 1