The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference The Tipping Point question

very nice book
Amol jai Amol Feb 19, 2012 11:11PM
i like this book

4030lisa (last edited Feb 23, 2012 05:12PM ) Feb 23, 2012 05:11PM   2 votes
I think it's funny, that people who admit they didn't (or more aptly: wouldn't,) read this book feel completely competent to give an evaluation of it...

Despite this (lack or)fact some of those evaluations are quite scathing, using words like 'vile', Heh heh... Vile is the registry of motor vehicles closing the tag booth 5 minutes early, despite clearly still seeing you standing there waiting, next in line....
A book, vile? No...Sorry, not unless it's equipped with self detonating hidden weaponry designed to do you a significant physical harm...then, well...Yes,that would be rather vile.

But a book you don't like enough to even try to read, really isn't something one should class or consider as vile. Basically, that's just YOU, foisting the blame on the writer for your personal lack of good judgement. You should know what you like to read and be responsible enough to spend your hard earned money on just those books that peak your special sort of curiosity and fit well within that range of oh so easily offended sense of sensibility.

The numbers of copies sold and the glowing reviews attest to the rarity of those dissatisfied with 'The Tipping Point'. I for one found it engaging, informative, stimulating and smoothly written by a person who seems just as intent on explaining the details as I was in learning them. And that, my friends is a joy indeed!

Yes, I have found all his books interesting. Outliers and Tipping Point are the best of what I have read of Gladwell.

I loved the way he has analyzed "Teenage Smoking"..It made me pick up Blink - Another of Gladwell's bestseller

I'm with you. I love his writing style and this and Blink are my favorites of his.

I like the book because its application is flexible. It's an effective way to work mindfully in groups. I found the power of 150 helpful as well. These features are topical to me as a teacher and an activist.
I do find the style off-puttingly folksy, but that's a personal rather than a critical detail. The rewards of reading this book far outweigh its annoying little tics, not unlike a dear old friend whose idiosyncrasies we overlook because of a deeper connection.

Refreshing to meet some Gladwell fans. There's a scathing thread about Blink with the tagline: "Not worthy of being a book." But my personal favorite is Outliers.

Outliers is a great book to talk to students about. What was the number of hours that "famous" people had to work at their craft before they got good at it? 10,000?

Shelley
Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com