Edgy YA discussion

Monthly Group Reads > March Nominations

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marita (new)

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 244 comments Mod
Two books will be chosen for March, so please nominate a book you wish to read.

Rules as per last month:

1) Authors cannot vote for their own book.
2) It has to be an edgy YA book, otherwise it will be disqualified regardless of numbers. There are plenty of other YA groups that have non-edgy books.
3) Considering how many authors are amongst us, including me, the voting will not be hidden, so that everyone can see it's fair.
4) The two books with the highest number will be chosen.
5) Each person can only nominate and vote for one book a month.
6) I have noticed that there has been problems with another group where some Goodreads' authors have tried to cheat. If I see any of this happening the book will not be chosen. Please play fair as a few sales isn't worth ruining the idea behind this concept.

Nominations:

Please use the "add book/author" feature at the top of the page when nominating. Place both the author and the book's name in the message.

For example, type:
I want to vote for Smack by Melvin Burgess.

Although I will not discount a nomination if this isn't done, it just makes things easier for me to check if the books are edgy YA or not.

The nomination deadline is February the 24th. Sorry, I was busy with work and forgot to put it up sooner.

All books nominated will be put into a poll, which will run until the last day of February. The two chosen books will be put up on the first day of March.

message 2: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Shaffer (shellyshaffer) | 15 comments Amy ReedBeautiful

One of my friends who is a YA guru just finished this book and she loved it.

The synopsis sounds great, and Amy Reed is an author I am interested in watching. Her book had great reviews from Ellen Hopkins, among others.

message 3: by Marita (new)

Shelly wrote: "Amy ReedBeautiful

One of my friends who is a YA guru just finished this book and she loved it.

The synopsis sounds great, and Amy Reed is an author I am int..."

Sounds perfect for the group.

message 4: by Don (new)

Don Martinez (DesertCoyote13) | 5 comments If we promise to vote for other books, can we nominate our own? I just released a new one and would like to get in on the vote:
The Insurgent's Journal

message 5: by Marita (new)

Don wrote: "If we promise to vote for other books, can we nominate our own? I just released a new one and would like to get in on the vote:
The Insurgent's Journal"

Sorry, authors can't nominate their own.

message 6: by Marita (new)

Nominations aren't looking good this month. We'll see.

Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) | 3 comments I would like to nominate Reason to Breathe :)

message 8: by Marita (new)

Michelle wrote: "I would like to nominate Reason to Breathe :)"

Cool, sounds like a good pick.

message 9: by Lawyer (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) I nominate Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

From Wikipedia

"Plot summary

The novel follows two boys who both go by the name Will Grayson. The first Will, whose name is always correctly capitalized, is described as trying to live his life without being noticed. This is complicated by the fact that his best friend, Tiny Cooper, described as "the world's largest person who is really, really gay" and "the world's gayest person who is really, really large", is not the type to go around unnoticed. Tiny is also, throughout the novel, trying to create an autobiographical musical, which further draws attention to himself and everyone around him.
The other will grayson, whose name is never capitalized, goes through his life without anything good to hold onto besides an online friendship with someone who goes by the name Isaac. Intent on meeting up with Isaac, will grayson sets up an encounter one night in Chicago but eventually finds out that Isaac was invented by a girl named Maura.[8] What ensues brings both characters together and changes both of their lives forever in ways they could never have guessed or imagined."

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

message 11: by Marita (new)

Angela wrote: "I nominate Behind the Hood by Marita A. Hansen."

My book is an adult read.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Marita wrote: "Angela wrote: "I nominate Behind the Hood by Marita A. Hansen."

My book is an adult read."

It has young adults in it and it's very, very edgy. All the chapters except for one is done from either a 14 or 18 year old's.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 20, 2012 05:32PM) (new)

Mike wrote: "I nominate Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

From Wikipedia

"Plot summary

The novel follows two boys who both go by the name Will Grayson. The first Will, ..."

This sounds good. I'm going to put it on my to-read list. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 20, 2012 05:44PM) (new)

Angela wrote: "Marita wrote: "Angela wrote: "I nominate Behind the Hood by Marita A. Hansen."

It has young adults in it and it's very, very edgy. All ..."

When I was reading Behind the Hood I thought of it as an adult read. Yes, all the topics in it are all in this group, but at a different level. Yes, there are young adults and I think their perspectives are very realistic, but I still think it's for a more mature audience. It has an R18 on it, and I think older teens would be fine with it. If it's fine for older teens then can it still be counted as they are YAs? The crossover books always create issues as you can never know how to categorise them. Still, if it is allowed in I'm fine either way as I enjoyed the book very much. YA or Not YA, that is the question :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Harlen wrote: "Angela wrote: "Marita wrote: "Angela wrote: "I nominate Behind the Hood by Marita A. Hansen."

It has young adults in it and it's very, ..."

It's edgy, it has young adults in it, and because it has an R18 on it people are warned, so they have a choice. Therefore, I think it should be counted.

message 16: by Marita (last edited Feb 21, 2012 07:34PM) (new)

Angela wrote: "Harlen wrote: "Angela wrote: "Marita wrote: "Angela wrote: "I nominate Behind the Hood by Marita A. Hansen."

It has young adults in it ..."

Just as long as people realise that I consider it an adult book and it should be reviewed as such. Personally, I think it suits the Harsh Realism group better, but I'll leave it up for people to vote because I seem to have stepped on a hornets' nest and am backing away slowly so I don't get stung :)

However, in August I'll definitely have a book that suits this group called Graffiti Heaven.It's about a group of teenagers dealing with sex, love, drugs, bullying, family and Shakespeare.It's based around Ash Rata's teenage years and how he became the man he is in "Behind the Hood." It's a spin-off from the Behind the Lives series. Also, unlike it's predecessor, it's not all dark and has a lot of comic moments. The cover is being made at the moment and will be up on the site probably in March.

message 17: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Shaffer (shellyshaffer) | 15 comments Mike wrote: "I nominate Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a really great book.

message 18: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Shaffer (shellyshaffer) | 15 comments Several people commented that they were reading or wanted to read Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman by Neil Schusterman. That would be a great read for this month.

message 19: by Marita (new)

Shelly wrote: "Several people commented that they were reading or wanted to read Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman by Neil Schusterman. That would be a great read for this month."

Okay, I'll go with getting this one into the polls. I want to read it too.

message 20: by Lena (new)

Lena | 78 comments Mod
I haven't read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart , but from what I've heard, it's edgy YA. Been on my list for a while, so I'm going to nominate it. It's by E. Lockhart.

message 21: by Marita (new)

The Poll is up now.

message 22: by Marita (new)

The Poll is now closed. I will put the March books up tomorrow.

message 23: by Marita (new)

There will be no nominations for the group reads in May as there was a three way tie in March for second place.

In MAY the two group reads will be:

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

Reason to Breathe

Sorry, I would've put them up for April if I had realised sooner. All ties will roll onto the next month and still be noted as a group read regardless of how many are tied. I will also be checking the polls a day later due to the time difference as I believe this may have led to my error.

message 24: by Marita (new)

I double-checked things and it looks like a vote was removed. Nonetheless, the two books for May will still go ahead as said above.