Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2012 discussion

Level 1: Pike's Peak > Diane D's Climbing Pike's Peak

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I will add as I go -- 12 Books (at least!)

message 2: by Diane (last edited Feb 19, 2012 07:51PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Even though I am adding as I go, here's one for sure A Tale of Two Cities --Buddy Read with Jeannette and the group in the Summer

message 3: by Hayes (last edited Feb 19, 2012 11:24PM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Yay! I may finally get that one off my shelves!!

(Hi Diane!)

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Hi Hayes! Nice to see you.

message 5: by Diane (last edited Jul 23, 2012 06:38PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) 1. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

2. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

3. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

4. Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy #1) by Ken Follett

message 6: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments Diane, I'm going to try the Tale of Two Cities buddy read this summer too. It seems to be taking on a life of its own. I hope I can keep up with everyone.

I'm listing as I go along, there's just no way I can pick my reads for a year when I don't even know what I want to read next, ha-ha.

When you need a smile take a peak at our new profile pic.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Dawn (& Ron) wrote: "Diane, I'm going to try the Tale of Two Cities buddy read this summer too. It seems to be taking on a life of its own. I hope I can keep up with everyone.

I'm listing as I go along, there's just n..."

Oh that's another precious photo! I hope your knee is better, I've been away and only on here sporadically. My reading commitments are out of control this year too!

message 8: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments Oh, I'm glad you liked it! I noticed I hadn't seen you on here lately, hopefully everything is okay and you can be back on here more regularly. Are you having any GR withdrawal pains?

Do you have a lot of personal reading goals or book clubs and buddy reads type commitments?

Yes, overall my knee looks better, the infection is better, which made the doctor quite happy last week, so much so I don't need to see him again this week- Yay! I still have to keep it bandaged but considering how it was, I won't complain.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Glad to hear about your knee!

I am in Boston for Easter, heading back to LA tomorrow. All of my personal reading goals seem to fall by the wayside when my friends have such great recommendations and want to do buddy reads ;)

message 10: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments Have a safe flight!

Wishlists and TBRs grow at an alarming rate around here, don't they?! I'm just trying to make sure I keep track of the buddy reads and don't have any overlaps, but they make reading so much more fun.

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I agree! Love the buddy reads!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I just checked -- you committed to Tale of Two Cities. I don't know what to do about you..... *wink*

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I'm such an over achiever!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll read it for you. :D

message 15: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments So, I can add Diane to the AToTC buddy read? Good catch Jeannette.

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Dawn (& Ron) wrote: "So, I can add Diane to the AToTC buddy read? Good catch Jeannette."

No Jeannette is reading it for me -- LOL!!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

hahaha! I'll read it for you. I'm sure you will enjoy it! :D

message 18: by Diane (last edited May 10, 2012 05:04PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Jeannette wrote: "I just checked -- you committed to Tale of Two Cities. I don't know what to do about you..... *wink*"

I just read above that I committed to summer...did I commit to June specifically? If I did, I feel horrible!

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited May 10, 2012 05:11PM) (new)

Oh, don't even think about it. Here's the list: Hayes, Veegee, Kim, Marialyce, Laura, MichelleCH, Dawn, Jemidar, Margaret, Jeannette, Catie

You're name isn't even on it, so you had slipped out unnoticed. That's why I asked yesterday if I had asked you.

I think I need to add Sylvia to this list.

message 20: by Hayes (last edited May 11, 2012 11:44AM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Jeannette wrote: "hahaha! I'll read it for you. I'm sure you will enjoy it! :D"

You gonna write the review, too? Sounds like a pretty good deal, actually. Anything on my list you want to read for me ;-)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry. Daine asked first! lol

I already read Count of Monte Cristo for you, and I think you're behind Dickens, too, if I remember correctly...... Whose fault idea is Master and Margarita?

message 22: by Hayes (last edited May 11, 2012 01:11PM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Guilty as charged *hangs head in shame*

I was hoping you'd finish the Boy for me ;-PP

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Dream on! I'll read Wuthering Heights for you. :P

message 24: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Sold!!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll gladly read it again. As long as you don't dis the book, I promise not to bother you to read it, ever again! Promise? (Current review excepted.) I don't think I'll be letting Kim off so easily, but I might. ;)

message 26: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Kim the book, or Kim the reading buddy?

I will not touch WH, so not to worry.

What's the word from the far East?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Kim the reading buddy. I think she's almost convinced to read WH again.

I will write a fine review of Wuthering Heights for you, Hayes!

The girl is staying overnight 2 hours outside of Beijing, at a hotel near the Great Wall. They have a 4am wakeup call, because they will be hiking at sunrise. They already hiked (a couple hours ago) at sunset. She says it's steep, with plenty of broken stairs.

Would you like me to post a link to her blog on G+? She's doing all sorts of new things, outside of her comfort zone!

message 28: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Yes please! Or you can send it to me.

message 29: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) Jeannette wrote: "Kim the reading buddy. I think she's almost convinced to read WH again...."

Did I hear my name mentioned?

I have just downloaded an audiobook edition of WH, to which I will listen very soon. With my newly re-kindled love for Victorian literature, it may just be a winner. On the other hand, I may still may want to slap each and every character. I'll be sure to let you know.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited May 12, 2012 03:04PM) (new)

You've got good ears, Kim. :D If you come to WH expecting a romance, it will be disappointing. But, as a look at the darker side of love and human nature, I think it's a great story. There's a reason (or two) why you want to slap every character. None of them are "lovable"!

I wish I could read it with you -- I might just read it before we tackle Dickens. I'll see what my schedule looks like. I want to look at it this time with a more critical eye.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Hayes wrote: "Yes please! Or you can send it to me."

Will do. She was up and ready to go at 4am. I'm rather impressed with her attitude -- "If it scares the crap outta me, I'll do it!"

message 32: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments Kim, how did you do that? And I thought I had good hearing but you can hear typing around the globe, very impressive.

I remember discussing this and working on trying to convince you to read WH recently. Yes, you will want to slap them, especially Cathy as I said before, but the fact that the get under your skin says something about the writing. I agree with Jeannette, it is more of a how not to have a romance but there is a compelling nature being let in on the lives of these very flawed and damaged humans who love each other but really don't know how to handle the emotion.

Jeannette, I loved that statement from Lea too and forgot to tell her that in my comment, blast! I think Ames will no longer hold many fears for her when she returns.

BTW, you better watch out, you may have started something with reading and now reviewing for others. If I didn't use reviews for the purpose I do I may be lining up, ha-ha.

message 33: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments Kim wrote: "I have just downloaded an audiobook edition of WH, to which I will listen very soon. With my newly re-kindled love for Victorian literature, it may just be a winner. On the other hand, I may still may want to slap each and every character. I'll be sure to let you know. "

Oh good! Don't forget to wait for me...

message 34: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Speaking of not getting notifications, sorry I missed all of these which I did not get!

BTW, I love Wuthering Heights :)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Diane D. wrote: "Speaking of not getting notifications, sorry I missed all of these which I did not get!

BTW, I love Wuthering Heights :)"

Yay!! :D