YA LGBT Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived BOM Nominations > March Book of the Month - the winner: Parrotfish

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Feb 20, 2012 04:56PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments So we're getting a late start - blame it on the distraction of our Valentine's Day stories. We're looking for nominations for the Book of the Month to read for March. Since we're late I thought I'd throw it wide open - anything YA GLBT that you loved or have a yen to read. Give us the book link and a little bit about why you're nominating it and we'll vote soon.

Remember that the more you tell us why you like the book (or why you want to read it and haven't yet) the better chance your choice will have.

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo Ramsey (Jo_Ramsey) | 1017 comments Assuming it hasn't already been done, I nominate Sprout by Dale Peck.

message 3: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments Jo wrote: "Assuming it hasn't already been done, I nominate Sprout by Dale Peck."

As far as I know we haven't read Sprout. So we'll put it on the list - I enjoyed the main character in that one.

message 4: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments Lisa wrote: "I mentioned this book awhile ago. It is the first of a four part series.

Erik & Isabelle Freshman Year at Foresthill High by Kim Wallace

The books follow best friends through their four yea..."

This one sounds great - my only concern would be if there is an ebook version - I went looking briefly and didn't see one. Do you know?

message 5: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments Lisa wrote: "Kaje wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I mentioned this book awhile ago. It is the first of a four part series.

Erik & Isabelle Freshman Year at Foresthill High by Kim Wallace

The books follow best frie..."

Leave it for now - we can look around a bit more as there are other vendors. We could even leave it in the vote but with a note that it's paper only, which would be a disadvantage for BotM because of the time frame. At least it would bring a little more attention to a good book though.

message 6: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I nominate Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger .

message 7: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments Trevor wrote: "I nominate Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger."

Can you tell us a bit about why it appeals to you?

message 8: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Kaje wrote: "Trevor wrote: "I nominate Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger."

Can you tell us a bit about why it appeals to you?"

It's about a trans* teenager coming out at school and with his family. I read it last year and it was amazing (in my opinion, of course). It's been a while but I remember it dealing with bullying and I think there are some parts about discrimination as well. Anyway, I'd love to read it again and get others' opinions on it too.

message 9: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments Trevor wrote: "It's about a trans* teenager coming out at school and with his family. I..."

Thanks - we'll get it on the nomination list. Good trans* books are still not easy to find.

Boy is the android (cyclonemutant) | 4 comments I loved Parrotfish, I think it would be a great choice. I also loved Luna by Julie Anne Peters -- I know we just did one of her books and I have no idea if this one's been a BotM before or not, but it's also a good trans* story, and I think it frequently gets overlooked these days because it's older. (That could also be just because I hang with the FTM community and don't hear all that much about the MTF side of things.) It's a little darker than Parrotfish, too -- probably due to its age. I can't help feeling it's the not-quite-so-happy older sister of Parrotfish. (Actually, it has all the hallmarks of being the kind of book I could hate now that I'm more older and more educated on trans* issues, so I guess part of the reason I'd love to read it again, and to discuss it with others, is to see how my opinion of it may have changed in the past eight years.)

message 11: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments Boy is the android wrote: "I loved Parrotfish, I think it would be a great choice. I also loved Luna by Julie Anne Peters -- I know we just did one of her books and I have no idea if this one's been a BotM before or not, but ..."

I love this book - put it on my list of top ten books for YA on Jo's blog. It hasn't been BotM yet, so we certainly can put it on the list. Voters can decide if they want to change authorial voices or not.

message 12: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Trevor wrote: "Kaje wrote: "Trevor wrote: "I nominate Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger."

Can you tell us a bit about why it appeals to you?"

It's about a trans* teenager coming out at school and with his family. I..."

I want to second this one---I like the idea of doing a Trans story!

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Price (mpricejr) | 1 comments Kaje wrote: "Jo wrote: "Assuming it hasn't already been done, I nominate Sprout by Dale Peck."

As far as I know we haven't read Sprout. So we'll put it on the list - I enjoyed the main character..."

I recommend Sprout as well. It's a quick read that focuses on family relations as well as making friends and gay issues.

message 14: by Kaje (last edited Feb 23, 2012 07:40PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments I'm going to add another book to the mix. I want to nominate Boyfriends Paul & Sam (Boyfriends #1) by Justin South by Justin South. As you may know, Justin is our one-man welcome committee for this group, and I've been looking forward to seeing his book come out. Byron (another mod) has spoken very highly of Justin's writing in his adult novel. The release date will be March 1st (and I did check with Justin - he has been promised that the book will appear on schedule.) The blurb reads:

Ejected from home, teenage Paul struggles to survive amid hardship and abuse. A year later he rescues and resuscitates a surfer, Adam, injured by another board-rider and callously left to drown. Two years further on, a runner finds Paul humiliated and suicidal at a beach.
The runner comforts him and takes him home where Paul meets his teenage son, Sam, the cousin of Adam, the injured surfer, and also the person who, Paul believes, has been the secret object of his desires for the past three years. He discovers, however, the boy he loved was Sam’s identical twin brother, Tim, who died in unsettling circumstances the previous year.
He learns Sam is gay and that he, his family and Adam’s family, hero-worships him. He also learns of the family’s months-long search to find him, hoping he may provide needed comfort and support to Sam, an offer he accepts after Sam declares his love to his idol.
Before his death, Tim also hero-worshiped Paul. Tim now applies his psychic abilities to enable Paul to identify Adam’s culprit, and later, those responsible for his death, leading to a dramatic court case.
The case exposes corruption at judicial and senior police levels, and arrogant indifference to social principles by privileged families.

This one sounds like an interesting mix of characters and drama with some paranormal mixed in. Could be a real roller-coaster ride.

This book has mild sexual content - rated 16+ .

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Kaje wrote: "Thanks - we'll get it on the nomination list. Good trans* books are still not easy to find."

Very true!

message 16: by Randy (new)

Randy Wiggins | 96 comments How about one of these:

Outfield Menace by Mark A. Roeder

Phantom World by Mark A. Roeder

His books are for teens, they aren't heavily seual but they are about gay teens.

Randy

message 17: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments Trevor wrote: "Kaje wrote: "Thanks - we'll get it on the nomination list. Good trans* books are still not easy to find."

Very true!"

I did find one list of specifically YA trans* books - some are non-fiction.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/11...

message 18: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments Randy wrote: "How about one of these:

Outfield Menace by Mark A. Roeder

Phantom World by Mark A. Roeder

His books are for teens, they aren't heavily seual but they are about gay teens.

Randy"

Did you want to pick one to nominate and tell us why you like it?

message 19: by Kaje (last edited Feb 23, 2012 06:58PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments Since Randy didn't come back to choose one, I'll put Outfield Menace by Mark A. Roeder on the selection list. This is the blurb:

"Outfield Menace" is the tale of Kurt, a fifteen-year-old baseball player, living in a small, 1950s, Indiana town. During a confrontation with Angel, the resident bad boy of Blackford High School, Kurt attacks Angel, earning the wrath of the most dangerous gang in town. When Angel finally corners Kurt, however, something happens that Kurt wouldn't have imagined in his wildest dreams. As the murder of a local boy is uncovered, suspicion is cast upon Angel, but Kurt has learned there's more to Angel than his bad boy image. Angel has a secret, however, that could get both Kurt and himself killed. "Outfield Menace" is a story of friendship, love, adventure, and perilous danger.

message 20: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments And here is the blurb for Sprout by Dale Peck :

How many secrets can you hide in plain sight? Sprout Bradford has a secret. It’s not what you think—he’ll tell you he’s gay. He’ll tell you about his dad’s drinking and his mother’s death. The green fingerprints everywhere tell you when he last dyed his hair. But neither the reader nor Sprout are prepared for what happens when Sprout suddenly finds he’s had a more profound effect on the lives around him than he ever thought possible. Sprout is both hilarious and gripping; a story of one boy at odds with the expected.

message 21: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments And for Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger :

Last week I cut my hair, bought some boys' clothes and shoes, wrapped a large ACE bandage around my chest to flatten my fortunately-not-large breasts, and began looking for a new name.

Angela Katz-McNair has never felt quite right as a girl. Her whole life is leading up to the day she decides to become Grady, a guy. While coming out as transgendered feels right to Grady, he isn't prepared for the reaction he gets from everyone else. His mother is upset, his younger sister is mortified, and his best friend, Eve, won't acknowledge him in public. Why can't people just let Grady be himself?

Grady's life is miserable until he finds friends in some unexpected places -- like the school geek, Sebastian, who explains that there is precedent in the natural world (parrotfish change gender when they need to, and the newly male fish are the alpha males), and Kita, a senior who might just be Grady's first love.

From acclaimed writer Ellen Wittlinger, this is the groundbreaking story of one teen's search for self and his struggle for acceptance.

message 22: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments And for Luna by Julie Anne Peters : Last months BotM was from this same author.

For years, Regan's brother Liam has been nursing a secret. By day, he is Liam, a passably typical boy of his age; at night, he transforms himself into Luna, his true, female self. Regan loves and supports her brother and she keeps his Liam/Luna secret. Things change, though, when Luna decides to emerge from her cocoon. She begins dressing like a girl in public; first at the mall; then at school; then at home. Regan worries that her brother's transgender identity is threatening her own slippery hold on normalcy. This serious, powerful teen novel was a National Book Award finalist for Young People's Literature.

message 23: by Kaje (last edited Feb 23, 2012 07:35PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments The poll is now up - voting will continue through the 27th (Monday) and then we'll announce the winner for March. So read the blurbs, check any ratings or reviews and go and vote here on our March BotM poll

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo Ramsey (Jo_Ramsey) | 1017 comments Okay, regardless of which book we choose, I'm going to have to read Parrotfish...and then pass it along to my 16-year-old.

message 25: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16464 comments So we actually had a tie here between Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger and Boyfriends Paul & Sam. However Justin let me know that unfortunately despite promises to the contrary, his publisher is no longer certain they will have Boyfriends out by March 1. So we will read Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger as our March Book of the Month. Hopefully we will be able to feature Justin and his book at a later date.

message 26: by Jo (new)

Jo Ramsey (Jo_Ramsey) | 1017 comments Ugh for Justin... I hope Boyfriends will be out soon! Release delays aren't fun.

I'm looking forward to reading Parrotfish, though. Might have to order it in print so my daughter can read it afterward; given the content of my Kindle, I don't trust her with it. LOL

message 27: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Kaje wrote: "So we actually had a tie here between Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger and Boyfriends Paul & Sam. However Justin let me know that unfortunately despite promises to the contrary, his p..."

Justin--we wait with longing--and love you dearly!!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.