The Teen Debaters discussion

School and Kids > What do you want to be when you grow up?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 149 (149 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) This isn't as much a debate, so I was tempted to put it in Random, but it is kind of important. We can understand more about each other through our dreams for the future. :)

message 2: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) The fields I really want to go into are: paleontology, forensic anthropology, geology, and medicine.
And art and novel writing on the side:D

message 3: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) I mean I can't go into all of them, unfortunately...xD

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

My dream is to become an animator. I want to be one so badly, it's not even funny. I've always marveled at Pixar movies since I was a young kid (I carried around a Woody doll until I was about ten) and I just think of it as another beautiful world. I want to work for Pixar, but Dreamworks or Disney would be fine, too. Or even just a T.V show, like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. I died when that show was canceled.

But if that doesn't work, I'd like to work at a sanctuary. Per say some idiot purchased a lion cub, and it grew up. That grown up lion would be taken to a sanctuary until it would be able to survive in the wild. They also take in abandoned animals whose mothers have died, and stuff. It's very humane, and I just love animals.

And then I guess a novelist or just an artist. Maybe a movie director, or a storyboard artist. But if I become an animator or a sanctuary worker I won't have that much time to write a novel on the side. ^_^

message 5: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Rainbow Dash/Silverstream wrote: "My dream is to become an animator. I want to be one so badly, it's not even funny. I've always marveled at Pixar movies since I was a young kid (I carried around a Woody doll until I was about ten)..."

That's so cool!!

message 6: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Marie wrote: "I honestly have no idea what I want to do..
I like photography. I like horseback riding.. I could potentially get a job in either of those fields, but I don't really know what I want to do."

You should be a photographer Marie. You take beautiful photos!!!

message 7: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) I so desperately want to be a paleontologist. I'm already trying to get highschool math out of the way so I can do all the crazy extra learning classes I'll need to even begin a college degree for it...

"The best starting point is a college preparatory program with as many science and math courses as possible. Outside reading in paleontology and visiting museums with fossil displays is helpful for building up knowledge of fossils themselves. No matter how interested or knowledgeable a student is in paleontology, however, good overall grades in high school are almost always required for admission to a good college or university, which is a necessary prerequisite for a career in paleontology."

And then for college:

"Strong background in the sciences is absolutely essential, with strong concentration in both biology and geology. An undergraduate institution should be chosen on the basis of its quality of general science education and especially the quality of its biology and geology programs. At this stage the student often has to make a difficult decision about whether to major in biology or geology. The ideal arrangement is a double-major, with full undergraduate training in both biology and geology. If this is not possible, the best solution is to major in one and take substantial course work in the other. Liberal arts courses should not be ignored. A good reading knowledge of a modern language (especially German, French or Russian) should be obtained as an undergraduate. Don't wait until graduate school! At least a full year of chemistry, physics, and mathematics through calculus, are required by most graduate programs and should be taken as early as possible as an undergraduate.

The courses that are most pertinent to paleontology include the following: mineralogy, stratigraphy/sedimentation, sedimentary petrology, invertebrate paleontology, ecology, invertebrate and vertebrate zoology, evolutionary biology, genetics.

Ability in statistical analysis and solid computer skills are absolutely required in modern paleontology and should not be left for graduate school. The more courses and experience in these areas at the undergraduate level, the better."

Paleontology is really hard to get a degree in because it is such an overview of so many sciences--you have to have so much knowledge.

So far (not to jinx it) I'm pretty much an all A student, scored in the 99% percentile last state test I had to take in everything but math, in which I scored in the 97%% percentile (that's top 1% and 3%) but that was back in fifth grade and I was also taking it under 7th grade level.
Now, I have another state test coming up I hope I do well in...I'm so nervous I'll blow it xD

I'm homeschooled, so I don't have alot of experience having to take tests xD I always get SOOOOOO nervous

message 8: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) aahh just thinking about it makes me nervous, I want to do super well so badly xD

oh how I desperately want to be a paleontologist xD

btw the information was taken from http://www.priweb.org/ed/lol/careers....

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I go to a public school, so we have tests all the time. I hate it. I'm fairly ADD, so I'm not the best at studying. But I'm really good at science and language arts, so I got into honor classes for both of those. I really want to go to the California Institute of Arts for college, because that's were all the great animators went, like Lauren Faust, who is my idol.

message 10: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) That's cool! I don't know where I want to go for college yet...I have to do some research first.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't really know what I wanna be yet. But I think I'd enjoy teaching even though I dont really like little kids. But , like I said, Im still undecided.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Not sure, probably one of the following

-vet
-teacher
-animator
-police officer
-phycologist
-baker

Yea that's pretty much it-,- I cannot decide which one to become. -__-

message 13: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Aren't you 12? You took the SAT?? I don't plan to start taking it until Freshman year.

message 14: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Whoaaa there. :) Cool.

message 15: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) I don't as much want to be a lab paleontologist, I mean that's super cool too but I want to actually be out in the field...digging up fossils...*sighs longingly*

message 16: by Anika (new)

Anika Libby wrote: "Aren't you 12? You took the SAT?? I don't plan to start taking it until Freshman year."

I am 12 and take the SAT every year. I started taking them is 4th grade.

message 17: by Anika (new)

Anika I don't know what I wanna be. When I was little I wanted to be an animal trainer, but now I think I might wanna be a photography.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm thirteen, but my school has (very) advanced Spanish. Because they start teaching us the language in Kindergarten. It sucks, because we have to take high school-level exams three times a year, which I always fail. That's why I'm taking French next year. I just want a new start. Plus, Spanish sucks.

message 19: by Anika (new)

Anika I take French it is a lot of fun!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Sweet! I can't wait. I wanted to take Japanese, but it's at the other high school, and I would have to take a shuttle bus every day to get to the class.

I also heard that the Japanese take pride in the fact that it's very hard for anyone to master their language. They get insulted if someone from a different country or race can speak their language fluently.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

haha :D i'm taking Spanish I. it's really not that hard :) good luck

message 22: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Me hablo Espaniol:)

message 23: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) ^^whoopps extra "i" there

message 24: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Anika "Who loves chocolate" wrote: "Libby wrote: "Aren't you 12? You took the SAT?? I don't plan to start taking it until Freshman year."

I am 12 and take the SAT every year. I started taking them is 4th grade."

You sure you aren't thinking of the standardized testing that kids have to start taking in 4th grade? A child doesn't actually have the mental capabilities to take a test like the SAT as a 4th grader.

message 25: by Anika (new)

Anika I am pretty sure it is the SAT, but I might be wrong.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to be a multilingual neurologist.

message 27: by Anika (new)

Anika I asked my mom and she said it was the SAT

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

My friend's name is Annika with two n's

message 29: by Marianna (last edited Feb 22, 2012 10:20PM) (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments I really, really, really want to be a film actress. I'm really serious about it--I can't imagine doing anything else.

I've made it pretty far in musical theater, not to brag, but beating out 90+ other girls for lead roles etc., but I'm a little bit done with that.

I've been doing a lot of competitive dance, so my dance studio wants me to be a dancer, I'm on pointe in Ballet, so my Ballet teacher wants me to be a Ballerina...

My dad is a vocal coach and I've been singing since the age of 4, though I really don't think I'm that great. I have a nice range (soprano belt), but I don't have that "signature" pop sound.

I've (like Libby) taken standardized tests, and I think I scored at 12th grade level when I was 8...though I don't think I've stayed there. XD

My mom is a lawyer and I think that I would like to do that if film stuff didn't work out. But I really, really want to act.

message 30: by Anika (new)

Anika Saira wrote: "My friend's name is Annika with two n's"

Omg that's funny and girl in my class is Annika!

message 31: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Marianna wrote: "I really, really, really want to be a film actress. I'm really serious about it--I can't imagine doing anything else.

I've made it pretty far in musical theater, not to brag, but beating out 90+ ..."

I love acting too:D I hope you make it!!

message 32: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Saira wrote: "I want to be a multilingual neurologist."

That's cool!!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to become a Psycologist. I want to help people, when they, need a shoulder to cry one, or just an ear to listen. Especially, teens , and kids who have had such horrible histories, or are depressed. I know what it's like to be deppressed, and I wanna help them, understand that its not the end of the world. ;) but my parents don't want me to persue, this career, they want to be a doctor. but i've made my choice, and Psycology it is (:

message 34: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Audrey wrote: "I want to become a Psycologist. I want to help people, when they, need a shoulder to cry one, or just an ear to listen. Especially, teens , and kids who have had such horrible histories, or are dep..."

My brother's major in college was psychology:) He's now pursued a career in the field and is getting his phD soon hopefully...hopefully going to school for it soon...:D

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

cool :D

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Anika "Who loves chocolate" wrote: "I am pretty sure it is the SAT, but I might be wrong."

Like, the college board exam or just the regular elementary and middle school one?

message 37: by Nifty (new)

Nifty | 35 comments I would love to be a stage manager or journalist for a feminist publication. And a drummer, writer, and DJ on the side.

message 38: by Monty (new)

Monty (montythewombat) | 9 comments I want to be a musical actress, anthropologist, linguist, or journalist. Mostly an actress though. I really want to go to NYU Tisch school of the arts.

I speak spanish fluently because I lived in Chile for three and a half years. I take russian in school and am currently struggling to learn sign language online.

About the SAT thing, my school requires us to take these stupid standardized tests called ERB's, and I'm in 7th grade. My brother is in 10th grade, and he just took the Practice SAT (I don't think you take the real one until 11th grade). I mean, it's meant for college placement, I don't think you'd be taking it in 4th grade.

message 39: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Yeaaaaaaah...I think, Anika, you're thinking of a different type of test :)

message 40: by Ashana (new)

Ashana I don't really know exactly what I want to be. I've always had a hard time planning out my future; there's so many possibilities! Something to do with science would be preferred, but then again, there are so many career choices to do with science....

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I have been thinking that all along

message 42: by Johnathan (new)

Johnathan I want to be a lesbian. I'm working on my degree in petroleum engineering though, just in case that doesn't work out. I'd love to teach and be able to feed my daughter... Though, that is impossible.. So, teaching is out.

message 43: by Liv (last edited Mar 23, 2012 08:29AM) (new)

Liv (osf1998) ...that's kind of offensive.

I'm not lesbian but I know that if I was, that would hurt my feelings.

message 44: by Johnathan (new)

Johnathan Why would that hurt your feelings? I'm honestly insensitive. I cannot fathom, in the least, why that is offensive.

message 45: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) "I want to be a lesbian. I'm working on my degree in petroleum engineering though, just in case that doesn't work out. I'd love to teach and be able to feed my daughter... Though, that is impossible.. So, teaching is out."

You're degrading lesbian's sexuality, saying that they are nothing but people who fantasize to be something different from the status quo and that is why they label themselves as lesbians, not in fact for sexual preference but for individuality and uniqueness.
You're also saying that lesbian or gay love/sexuality is not in fact true romance, but simply nothing more than any menial or mundane profession/means of making a living, not in fact a legitimate and personal emotion that is felt very deeply and strongly. It's called love. And lesbians and gays feel it. So I find you a disgusting human for making a joke to degrade love like that.
It might not be love that looks like the love that two straight people feel, like what I might feel or what you might feel but it is love and it is magical and you cannot tarnish it. You cannot joke about it to put it down. Because it's more than that.

message 46: by Karla (new)

Karla I'm not sure what I want to do. I think I might be a family doctor.

message 47: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) That's cool. Like a pediatrician?

message 48: by Mirvan. (new)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) I want to be an author but if not, a really great painter or an artist or a college p[rofessor... or even a performer or a p*rn star

message 49: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Cool:)

message 50: by Karla (new)

Karla Libby wrote: "That's cool. Like a pediatrician?"

Yeeah. :)

« previous 1 3