Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > need to know how to download/add a book cover - please help/educate me

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Hi. I should know how to do this by now. I have scanned book covers, and once was able to replace an incorrect cover with a correct one from Amazon. But I can’t find where and how on the Amazon page to assign this correct book cover to this coverless Goodreads book:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0688...

If you know how to do this, please let me/us know. I’d be happy to do this book &/or future books myself.

I own the book but it's in an inaccessible location so scanning would not be an easy option.

Thank you for any help/education.

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Abigail,

It looks great! Thank you very much. And, yes, your information was helpful.

I guess I do know how to do that. But, you did a much better job than I so thanks. When I scan, I don't have Photoshop or any sw that either isn't that great or I don't know how to use all the features, so a lot of my scanned covers leave a lot to be desired. But, now I know of one cover that's now on Amazon that wasn't when I scanned my book's cover image in so I'll take your information and see if I can make it better on Goodreads!

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Abigail, Thanks so much for that information. Especially the tip about ABE and out of print books (where I've actually bought 2 out of print books, a long time ago.)

message 4: by Shannon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) | 12 comments Ditto Abigail, but I also thought I'd add my method: I always try Google Images first, mostly because covers from book-selling sites like Amazon often have white panels or "search inside!" or are links to other pages/sites. I go to Google Images, find the best-looking image of the cover of my edition, save to My Pictures or equivalent, and then upload. No cropping or anything required! Google is great, it does all your work for you! It often has out-of-print books covers too, collected from obscure sites; otherwise I scan my own.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

rivka | 41411 comments Mod
Shannon, me too. It's how I found fantasticfiction.co.uk, which has had a lot of the covers I was looking for.

message 6: by Shannon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) | 12 comments I've come across Fantastic Fiction - it always pops up when I'm looking for fantasy books online - but I haven't used it for covers. I get a bit put off by the black screen and electric-blue type, to be honest. Makes it hard to read. That's the one you mean, isn't it?

Since I have a lot of Australian editions of books, Amazon isn't much help to me (and the "search inside" thing drives me nuts!) - which is how I clued onto Google Images.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

rivka | 41411 comments Mod
The website does leave something to be desired. But their selection of high-quality book covers is awesome. :)

message 8: by Kathie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Kathie (kathiemt) | 4 comments I don't have Photoshop either but use Microsoft's Office Picture Manager and that works really well. So have a look at what you might already have.

Regards,

Kathie

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments I have just Mac's iPhoto. Not a great edit program.

Thanks everybody for the ideas. Will remember this thread!

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Kovic-Skow | 9 comments Can someone please help me download a new book cover? I can't see a way to do this without a librarian's help.

message 11: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Hi Linda, you should start by reading the author faq here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

then start a new thread if you still require assistance.