Classics for Beginners discussion

Archive > A Tale of Two Cities-Book 2, Chapters 14-18

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 772 comments Mod
This part of the book was published in September 1859.

message 2: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 92 comments Chapter 14: I love any chapter where Mr. Cruncher speaks! I thoroughly enjoyed this chapter with all the complaining between Mr. and Mrs. Cruncher and the great description of how their son snuck out and observed Mr. Cruncher's "night fishing". Dickens does such a wonderful job with his characters, can "see" them so completely. :)

message 3: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

The women knitting is so eerie. "So much was closing in about the women who sat knitting, knitting, that they their very selves were closing in around a structure yet unbuilt, where they were to sit knitting, knitting, counting dropping heads."

Madame Defarge is a very scary woman. I can understand why she hates the aristocrats and the oppressors, but I don't yet know why she hates Charles. It doesn't seem to be just because he came from an aristocratic family.

message 4: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

I enjoyed reading about all of the Crunchers. I wonder what happened to make the night's 'fishing' be unsuccessful. It was hilarious to read about Jerry's fears of the coffin chasing him as he ran home. It's too bad that young Jerry left before he could discover why that night's venture was deemed a failure.

Carrie, I'm assuming you have read the entire book, so please don't reveal what happened to the "fishermen" on this thread. I'm hoping Dickens will tell us when he is good and ready.

message 5: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 92 comments I have read the whole book and loved it. I won't reveal any clues. :)

You're right, Madame Defarge is a scary woman. When I started reading the book, I thought she was a background character, but each chapter you hear more about her. Your quote about the women's knitting will come back to you later in the book.

I thought is was particularly horrible what they did to Gespard. It shows again how the aristocrats do not consider the poor as people. But I also like how Dickens doesn't take the poor's side either as portrayed by the Defarge's comments about Gespard.