Night Road Night Road discussion

Appropriate for high school students?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette My career as a librarian was spent in elementary settings but I couldn't help but think of this book as a great discussion vehicle for high school students. The only thing that might deter it would be the unwed mother aspect but I'm not sure how much detail is acceptable in high schools today. Along that same line, there are mother daughter book discussion groups and I feel this title would be perfect for them.

message 2: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee i think it could work, not only on the teenage parent aspect, but all the underage drinking...which i think is actually more potent...you could maybe then pair it with some true-life stories of teens who have had kids - I know I just saw a lifetime movie about a teen that pretended she was pregnant as part of her senior high school study...

but it would depend on how traditional the school was on stuff like that

Tonia I absolutely think this is a great book for high school students. I am a parent of a teenager and I am encouraging her to read this book. I think it would be a great way to get kids thinking and talking about important topics. I have discussed this book with other mom friends of mine, and the question I always ask is, "What could the mother have differently, if anything, so that a different outcome might have taken place?"

message 4: by Dee (last edited Feb 19, 2012 07:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee I can think of one thing Tonia...and its the thing that pissed me off about the entire book...I hated her soo much

ETA (view spoiler)

Bridget I think this would be a good book for high school students to read, but if it was for a class there would need to be another optional book because Night Road had a few steamy scenes that every parent may not want their child to read. But, again kids see so much on TV I'm not sure that it would really matter.

Thea im young and ive read this book and i think it is SO good! it sends out a good msg, and its really well written, theres some parts that were kinda slow, but otherwise it was good!. i think pple should read it, give them other perscpectives of things :)

message 7: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Thanks, everyone. I think this would be most effective if moms and daughters read and discussed.

message 8: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Latham I have recommended this book to so many people, I think it is a must read for teens, It really hits home if this has happened to you or someone you know.

Tammy Ransdell absolutely!

message 10: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy A really good book to be read by HS students.

Octavia I love this book. I think all ages can and should read this book.

JoAnne Doremus I think this is a terrific book for high schoolers. If nothing else it will get discussion started - something too many just "assume" a conversation has been had about this subject, and too often, it is NEVER had...

Ina Layus I'm absolutely for teens reading this book, as a matter of fact, I have asked both my daughters, ages 14 and 19 to read it....my 19 year old actually lived through something like this in her very tight circle of friends....I think its important teens read about real life matters, rather than Vampire romance books all the time. This story really matters....and if it was up to me, it would be required reading in Highschool, rather than some of the boring, outdated stuff they are required to read. Why not give them something that would spark not only their interest but hopefully discussions amongst the teens...?

Delissca Not only is it appropriate reading for teens, I feel it should be required reading! Not only is it an excellent read, but there are lessons for all surrounding the events covered in this book. I am actually thinking of giving it to my granddaughter to read. I feel it's very relevant.

Buddy Powerful book, and definitely appropriate for teens! I agree that it should be required reading, there are a lot of lessons to be learned from this book.

message 16: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy My reading club did not like this book,but I most definitely did. There is lots of topics for discussion with your teens.

Nicole Stevenson I am the mother of a pre-teen daughter and would suggest that she read this book when the time is appropriate. I think it covered many topics that teenagers face and may open their eyes to the possibilities of what could happen as a result of their actions.

message 18: by Yoshi (new) - rated it 1 star

Yoshi Personally, I would be upset if the school made my child read this book as part of the curriculum. While I agree it addresses many important issues and brings up many good discussion topics, to me they are topics that I as a parent would want to address. A teacher should know their place and blurring the lines between school and home is absolutely inappropriate. I was extremely oved by this book, but it's not something that I would want someone else discussing with my child without my specific permission.

message 19: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee i don't think there was any discussion of it being added to a curriculum, just asking the question was it appropriate for high school students...which I think most of us feel like it is...this would, IMHO, be a good book for a health class (do schools even still have those...?)

message 20: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Curran I agree that this should be read by teens prior to getting their driver's card or if they are mature enough even before that event. This book was very powerful; a lot of lessons to be learned esp.if a teen were to read it. Of course there were lessons to learn for readers of all ages. This was just one of those wonderful books that will stay with you for a very long time and if it can make a positive impact and save a life it cannot hurt to have it read by many.

message 21: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat I think this would be an excellent book for teenagers. One, it's a warning against drinking and driving, and it could also be a message about unprotected sex and how having a baby can be a bad thing sometimes. All I know is I cried steadily through the second half of the book, and it could change a high school student's life one day.

message 22: by Peggy (last edited Jun 12, 2012 01:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy I read this when it frist came out yes high school students should read this book lessons on drinking and driving what can happem.
And also the on unported sex and what could happen.

But also a lesson here for mothers and fathers to.
If you rember the mom saide call if you drink to much they did that but the mom got all upset groundef the kids with teens ya you need bondrays but you also need to be fare.
Don't tell your kids call me i will be there then get
upset that they were drinking.
Thats why they did not call for a ride they diden't want a lactur or to be grounded for drinking.
There is a leson for both teens and parents here.

message 23: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee i think that was my biggest issue with Jude - I felt that while Lexi was in part responsible for Mia's death, Jude was as much, if not more because they were afraid to call her but I can't decide if her actions were supposed to reflect guilt or something else

Bailey i would definetly say that teens should read this it shows them the dangers of drinking and the dangers of sex. you just have to explain to them that happy endings don't always happen like in books. Lexi and Zach probably wouldn't have gotten back together if it wasn't in a book

message 25: by Maygin (last edited Jun 19, 2012 10:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maygin Yes, I think this is a great book for high schoolers. The other book I also think every high schooler (and teacher) should read is Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

message 26: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan I generally like Kristin Hannah's books, but while reading this one I kept thinking that I must have inadvertently picked up a book written specifically for teens. I got through it and didn't hate it, but I didn't feel like it was really geared for adults. Firefly Lane falls in the same category, but to a lesser extent.

Marie-Claude aka MC This book sends a strong message and I really think high schoolers could learn from this. Not only it shows how bad alcohol and driving doesn't go together, but it also portraits what happens AFTER. What kind of repercussion it has on life, including the social part of it. It basically changes your world, for the worst. Kids need to be aware of it.

Namie I think its perfectly appropriate and highly recommended for High Schoolers. Gives them a picture of what life would be like for their family members IF they make similar choices...

Tiffany As soon as I finished reading this book, I made my daughter and sister both read it. ( both teenagers) They were reluctant at first. Once they started reading it they could not put it down! They both loved it. And of course we all had several discussions about it.
I Definitely recommend this to moms and teenage daughters ( and sisters)