The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

164 views
GROUP READS > Divergent discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15684 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread for the spring 2012 Group Read Divergent. Please post your comments here. This thread is not restricted to those choosing this book for task 20.10, feel free to join in the discussion. Warning- spoilers ahead!


message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Pringle I read the book in 2 days. I was glued -so much action, dialog, love interest, and well a good story. I really ended up liking this book. My only problem was the book was called Divergent yet I felt she didn't explain that area well enough. The way it ended, however, made me want to read the second book. :)


message 3: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 185 comments I read this book a while ago and was not thrilled with it. I think if I had not read Hunger Games and Uglies, I would have liked it better, but now it felt like it was following a genre rather than being innovative.


message 4: by Soelo (new)

Soelo | 118 comments I was very glad to find this book so much less trite than the other books I have read lately that I consider "modern urban fantasy". I found this to be a lot like Ender's Game, including a sadistic character named Peter, mostly physical training until the end when it's all a simulation and the protagonist being small but powerful.


message 5: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments I found it was very readable but the world-building was terrible. I found the aptitude tests totally unbelievable and things didn't improve much from there.


message 6: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia (laviniat) | 54 comments I really enjoyed this story. It was a little predictable, and the concept of the five factions wasn't the most original idea I'd ever heard, but I found the characters to be (mostly) believable and appealing (except for the ones who weren't meant to be), and Tris' journey through the training was interesting, entertaining and exciting.

I had a hard time accepting the animosity between members of different factions - it didn't seem to serve any real purpose and seemed rather artificial. I also felt the world-building fell short - not that I had any problem with what *was* presented, just that there wasn't nearly as much of it as I wished there were.

That being said, I was thoroughly entertained throughout the entire book and can't wait to read the next one (which I get to do in a couple of weeks, thanks to a friend who's getting an advance copy! yay!).


message 7: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I can understand people on a dystopian reading jag might enjoy this book; after all, it is not totally terrible. I felt Tris was an interesting person, but most of the others were total cardboard. I never felt that the change in Al was believable. The "switch-off-of-famial-allegiance" at age 16 for everyone but Tris wasn't too convincing to me, either.


message 8: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments I absolutely LOVED Divergent! I started it this afternoon and couldn't stop reading. I was a little hesitant to pick it up because I've read quite a bit of YA dystopian lately, but this is now a favorite. To me, the characters and world building were both outstanding. I thought the characters were interesting and believable, especially Tris and Four. I really appreciated that Four wasn't the kind of guy you find in a lot of YA fiction - fake and swoon-worthy from the beginning, because that's the kind of the thing that can ruin a book for me. I thought most of the characters had a lot of depth - I didn't want the book to end knowing I have to wait for the sequel! There are some things I'd like to know more about relating to the choosing, but hopefully those will be answered in the next book.


message 9: by Celeste (new)

Celeste | 47 comments I chose this book because it was on the new book shelf in the library when I first opened the Spring challenge. I took it as a sign. At first I was expecting the typical YA Distopian genre and was really dreading yet another of these book;however, Roth surprised me. She did a really well with character development, which is sometimes missing from dystopian fiction. I don't know if I will seek out the sequal, but if it happens to catch my eye on the new book table I might pick it up.


message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments After reading the Hunger Games Trilogy I was hungry for more Dystopian Fiction. My search led me to Matched, Ashes (also a very good start to a series) and Divergent, amongst others.

I must say Divergent was one of my favourites out of all of them. It's a very fast paced story, there are different characters, all thought through quite thouroughly. However, with the factions, it feels a bit like houses in a boarding school, kind of. I do like the traits of the different factions, making them somewhat different from houses, thankfully.
Having met Tris and Four, I want more of them, more from Divergence, more from that world they live in. I felt like I was jumping off roofs with Tris when I was reading, and I want to get more of that adrenaline rush :)


message 11: by Vikki (last edited Mar 21, 2012 10:44AM) (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 55 comments Suzanne wrote: "I read the book in 2 days. I was glued -so much action, dialog, love interest, and well a good story. I really ended up liking this book. My only problem was the book was called Divergent yet I fel..."

I think I managed it in 2 days (maybe just into Day 3). I was pleasantly surprised about this book - it's the first dystopian book I've read and I'd heard mixed reviews. I liked the idea of the different factions - although not sure which one I'd have ended up in. Probably Erudite if I'm being honest - although I don't agree with what they did.

I thought the romance between Tris & Four was done well - it wasn't over the top and I don't think it took over the story.

I'll definately be buying Insurgent when it's released and hoping it might answer some of the questions I still have.


Immersednbooks (Kristen) Lynn | 48 comments I liked the fast-pacedness in the book... I was able to read the book in a few short hours....

But as others have noted I found that the supporting elements of the story to be lacking... the "world" setup, some of the supporting characters, and the story line leaned on the side of predictable and a bit cheesy...

All that being said, I too will be awaiting the next installment to see what happens next...


message 13: by Debra (last edited Mar 25, 2012 05:06AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) I found this book to be pure entertainment (nothing terribly cerebral or challenging), and read it quickly in 2 days. It reminded me a lot of the Hunger Games, and for a Young Adult dystopian book, I thought it was very good in spite of its many flaws. I think Hunger Games was more original with better character-development and plot, although Stephen King originally wrote well of this premise several years ago in The Running Man.

It took me having to suspend belief and go along for the ride to enjoy this fast-paced book. I think I will read the next one in the series to satisfy my curiosity, but if I don't get to it, I don't think I'll have lost anything really special (if that makes sense).


message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 653 comments Debra pretty much summed up my thoughs exactly. Certainly not perfect, but for pure entertainment value it was quite enjoyable. I audiobooked this one at the gym, and it made the time fly by, because I was really enjoying the story. If I think about it too deeply, I realize that the society is pretty ridiculous and the book certainly had flaws, but if I just let me myself go along with it and not over-analyze the backstory, it was a lot of fun. I'm curious enough to read the sequel now, just to see how it all works out.


message 15: by Denise (new)

Denise | 213 comments I agree with the posts by Debra and Kate, too. I enjoyed the book and wil pick up the next one just to see what happens next.


message 16: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments I devoured this book after having it languish on my to-read list for a year. I enjoyed it nearly as much as the Hunger Games series, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens next. I enjoyed the trains and jumping on and off - crazy but a unique twist. I did think the end came rather quickly - lots of lead up and then, boom, no more factions. I don't know - maybe I just was reading too fast by the end!


message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments I've had this book languishing on the pile since the SRC a few seasons ago with the female authors of sci-fi task - originally I was going to read this and then I switched to another series, because I didn't hear good reviews about it (but looking back they were mostly about the audio version)

I should probably finish this up tonight, but a few thoughts so far...I like the world she has created, but I would have liked more details on how the factions came to be...how did they decide on dauntless, abignation, candor, erudite and amity and how were the first people put into them, or did they choose

I do like Tris as a character, its interesting seeing her shed her skin as an abignation and become dauntless, growing as a character, but would like to see some perspective on her brother as he goes through the initiation to become an erudite...even if its just a one chapter sample - i'll likely be reading the next one when it is released in a few months


message 18: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 822 comments I liked this but didn't love it - maybe it suffered in comparison with The Hunger Games, which I loved - maybe I'll like it more after I read the rest of the trilogy, since the action has just begun. The world-building was pretty good, and I imagine that we'll learn more about the other factions in the next books. Some questions were answered about why the world got that way - other questions abound. Some things were very predictable - I knew who Four was early on and that he was 'different'/probably Divergent - and others were genuine surprises.


message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments I'm going to go out on a limb here. I really did not like this, and like others I felt like the comparison to The Hunger Games does not favor Roth. Just about every aspect of it drove me totally crazy - you can see my pan here.

I think what's making me nuts right now is that I really want YA fiction to be better than it seems like it is right now. I feel like there's a Romance + Action + Speculative Fiction Element formula that is just getting beaten to death and as a reader I'm ready to move on. There's just no element of surprise anymore, and the followers seem to be chosen by publishers more for the highly similar content than the writing ability on display.

I think I need a break from YA for a while. I'm clearly too much of a bitter old fart to appreciate it right now :).


message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments I liked your review Jessica - I liked the book, I think your comment about the lack of world building for the factions was my biggest pet peeve...that being said, I do have the second one on hold at the library for when its released, hoping that maybe some it those issues will be cleared up


message 21: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Another person in the liked but did not love it, suffers from comparison to Hunger Games. This is a fast-paced, exciting book, but derivative, the original elements are a little hard to believe - see below. It was fun to read, but somewhat predictable, not particularly original.

For starters, seriously, there are enough choices out there to have a genre that is "YA dystopian fiction" (really, people, really, an entire genre?!) and, oh yeah, there has to be a love interest - somewhere George Orwell is turning over in his grave!

As for the world-building, there are huge glaring holes in Hunger Games, too, particularly the first book, as my husband pointed out when we saw the movie. The breaks in logic may have been harder to overlook in Divergent because they involved people's attitudes and behavior in the basic premise - would 16 year olds really completely separate from their families? Would people really act like crazy daredevils or tell the truth all the time? Where are their mamas! If the factions are truly the privileged and the factionless do the heavy work, why did Abnegation make it through 2 generations, believe me a little nuclear war or climate change will not make people selfless!

The best dystopian fiction (George we are looking at you) is almost always satire or a cautionary tale, and the parallels to our world should be evident - either in the behavior of the characters (Animal Farm) or that you can see/imagine/grasp how the world got there, even if the exact details are fuzzy. The separating into factions is fust hard to understand.


message 22: by Marie (new)

Marie | 77 comments I enjoyed this book and am excited to read the next one. I liked it just as much as the Hunger Games. I liked the factions and thought the fear training was interesting. The only problem I had with this one was toward the end when Four was being controlled by...(whoever they were called, I've read too many dystopias lately to remember the right term for this one) and Tris was able to "talk" him out of it. Just didn't seem believable within the context. Although I like Four and wanted him to snap out of it somehow...
I'm just hoping the trilogy doesn't go downhill like some of the other ones I have read lately.


message 23: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments I read it, but it was just okay. The world just didn't make a lot of sense to me. The factions were an awesome idea, but I didn't like how everyone seemed like clones and some of the faction-specific behaviors were just dumb.


message 24: by Riya (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 191 comments I havent been this excited about a YA book since I finished reading Ender's game. This novel was AMAZING.


message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ace_librarian) This is one of those novels for me that could have been better, but definitely could have been a lot worse! Yes, I would have loved to know the history behind the different factions other than "differences in ideals", but hopefully as the series develops we will get more of why the worl dis the way it is, and what is going on outside of Chicago.

I think that the characters in this novel are easy to like, and I am looking forward to seeing even more development in Insurgent. 14 days! =)


message 26: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 502 comments There has been much comparison with this book to The Huner Games, but I thought that the Hunger Games was much more developed, was more interesting, intense, and had better characterizations. I got tired of all the initiations in the Dauntless factions, the fighting, etc. Why would anyone choose Dauntess anyway? It's important to be brave but they were mostly mean and cruel. What I liked most about the book was that it had a lot to say about idendity. "It will be difficult to break the habits of thinking Abnegation instilled in me....but I will find new habits, new thoughts, new rules. I will become something else."
It also made me think how awfull it would be to have to choose just one thing - selflessness, courage, knowledge, truth, or peace. And also how unselfish should we be? When is it good to be selfish? I also thought this was an interesting quote - "I'm used to just saying whatever is on my mind. Mom used to say that politeness is deception in pretty packaging." So I did find the book thought provoking.


message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ace_librarian) Lorna wrote: "There has been much comparison with this book to The Huner Games, but I thought that the Hunger Games was much more developed, was more interesting, intense, and had better characterizations. I go..."

I agree with you on a lot of your points. The first time I read through this novel, I was not convinced of the world Roth decided to build simply because it seemed too simple.

And remember to think of the Dauntless faction with the qualities of Four and Tris' mother--because the Dauntless that we are reading is very corrupt.

But yes, the book was definitely thought-provoking. And I enjoyed it more on my most recent read through, probably because I knew what to expect with this dystopia world.


message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments someone just posted this on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/DivergentSeri...

its a scene from Divergent told from Tobia's point of view


message 29: by Kylie (new)

Kylie I had been meaning to read this book for ages, and finally got around to it.

I found it quite good, though it didn't seem to hold my attention like the hunger games series that kept me up at night.

All the same i am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.


message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments i'll admit it I caved and preordered insurgent...I had to know what happens...I am weak!! ;)


message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ace_librarian) Dudes...Insurgent is fantastic! =)


message 32: by Riya (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 191 comments i cant wait to read insurgent!!

i gave divergent to my sister in law, im hoping she will like it as much as i did. she reads a lot like me


message 33: by Coco Kimura (new)

Coco Kimura For the first time I will say that I think the movie will be better than the book. When I first started reading Divergent, it felt a little too familiar (female protagonist, "factions" instead of "districts", a choosing ceremony ... ) but as I continued reading the book it did develop into a interesting story, though it lacked substance in terms of character development and world building. Nevertheless, I did feel drawn to it and finished it quickly and being the completist I am will most likely read the next two as well!


message 34: by Ann A (last edited May 06, 2012 02:57PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 881 comments This was just o.k. for me. I probably won't read the others in the series, mainly because I just don't enjoy the genre very much. (I had already read the other two options for the Group Read.)


message 35: by Chris (last edited May 07, 2012 06:06AM) (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 938 comments My review....

Imagine a world.... No, make it easier. Imagine Chicago... because in this dystopia that's all there appears to be, Chicago. So imagine dystopian Chicago (that shouldn't be too hard). Everyone belongs to one of five factions: Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the fearless), Erudite (the intelligent, or if you prefer, the humorless), Candor (they wear only black and white and cannot tell a lie), and Amity (the friendly people). But you don't have to pay attention to the last two. They really don't have much to do with this story. The author must have added them because three factions didn't seem like enough.

In this world you are born and raised in a faction, focusing only on that faction's particular virtue. If you are in Abnegation, you take the stairs so there's more room in the elevator for others. If you're in Dauntless, you travel by jumping on and off moving trains because--well, just because it's a cool thing to do. Then when you turn 16, you get to pick which faction you will spend the rest of your life with. Pick differently than what you were born as and you say goodbye to your family forever, forget all the things you've been taught growing up, and adopt wholeheartedly everything about your new faction. As the motto of this dystopia goes, "Faction Over Family."

It's pretty easy to make fun of the premise of this book. But the truth is I really enjoyed it. I liked the characters and the way the story came together.

When Beatrice Prior, a young member of Abnegation, takes an apptitude test to see which faction she fits with best, the results show she has tendencies toward more than one faction. She is "divergent." She is told that is a very bad thing and not to tell anyone. Her results are falsified. She chooses to join the Dauntless faction.

Here the book stretches into Hunger Games territory. The training to be accepted into Dauntless is fierce and violent, sometimes deadly. There are also deadly games going one elsewhere as the factions are beginning to snipe at one another. Beatrice, now Tris, must overcome her fears, find out who the bad guys are, figure out why being divergent could get her killed, protect her family, and win the heart of her instructor. No worries. The plot builds to a satisfying climax while still leaving plenty of room for more in the next book, which I look forward to.

Roth does a pretty good job of working within the restrictions she's set for herself. Still there are a lot of questions I'd like to ask: Why don't the factionless (those who don't get accepted into a faction) form their own faction? Why does no one seem to have grandparents? And where the heck are all those trains going to anyhow?


message 36: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments I enjoyed this book even if a little remind me about Hunger Games. I was curious what happen to Tris and Four but I was surprised about ending. I don't know what I expected. In the end is dystopia ;)
anyway I downloaded Insurgent and hopefully will use in some task in Summer Challenge.


message 37: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments This one was a little better the second time around, but I still prefer some of the other YA dystopians I've read. I think it's because I don't really like the main character, so I have a hard time not wanting to bash her over the head for being dumb. This feeling didn't go away when I read Insurgent, but at least that book gives some more of the background info that Divergent seems to be missing.

Not a bad book by any means, but definitely not my favorite example of the genre.


message 38: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments I really enjoyed this novel. It had surprises and moments it really jolted me. There were a few
moments that I felt were repeats to things I had read in other novels, but on the whole it was very entertaining. I would read the rest of the books in this series.

It made me think about what life would be like to be divided into factions based on preconceived ideas of "personality traits." It's a very strange concept. It's good to know that I'm Divergent! I could not and would not be pegged as one type, or forced to be that way, or brainwashed to be that one way.
It was very creepy.


message 39: by Peebee (new)

Peebee | 486 comments I'm very new to the whole YA dystopian genre...I don't like science fiction generally...so this is something this challenge has introduced me to. The Hunger Games and Catching Firehave been on my to-read list for a while, and fit other tasks in the challenge, so I read them first. I also needed another dystopian novel for a different task, so I read Delirium, and liked that one a lot. I've already read The Night Circus, and Sherlock Holmes isn't my thing at all, so I decided on Divergent.

In terms of ranking all these books, I think Delirium and Hunger Games were the best, and I would put Catching Fire and Divergent below them. For the first book in the series, I didn't think there was enough drama early on, and then so many plot points were packed on at the end that it just seemed to be a vehicle for the sequel. (That's a pet peeve of mine, where you're forced into reading the sequel because it's obvious that something isn't meant to be a stand-alone book.)

I did like the testing to discern one's character at a young age...although that was a very similar plot point to Delirium. I'm wondering if all the emphasis on standardized testing and hyper-competitiveness at such a young age makes this theme so resonant in YA books now -- I don't remember so much pressure to have everything figured out when I was that age.

I'm not sorry I read it, and will give it a 4.


message 40: by Emily (new)

Emily (emikay) | 17 comments I took my last final ever (woohoo! Post-grad!) earlier this week and was looking for something fun to read to celebrate my new intellectual freedom. I wanted a book like the ones I read when I was younger; one of those books that sucks you into another world, introducing you to characters that quickly become beloved friends and story lines that keep you clinging desperately to the edge of each page as you pour through the words in front of you. For me, Divergent quickly became that book. I sat down planning to relax and read for an hour or so before I went to bed and ending up staying up until 3 in the morning because I could not put the book down. I finished the book within 24-hours of starting it, because I couldn't get myself to stop reading. Today I finished the sequel, Insurgent, but that is beside the point.

I found Divergent compelling, well-paced, and evocative. At first, I was hesitant to read a book that had been compared to The Hunger Games and other YA dystopian novels, but I think Divergent held its own in this burgeoning dystopian genre. The plot was unique and every time I thought I caught a hint of foreshadowing, the author would twist the entire story into a different direction. It kept me off-balance. Like some of those above me, I didn't enjoy the way the last few chapters packed in a bunch of plot points that seem like they might have belonged in the sequel.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Divergent, and plan on reading the final book when it comes out.


message 41: by abbey sophia (new)

abbey sophia (abbeysophia) | 9 comments I, too, couldn't help but make comparisons to The Hunger Games... but I will say that I enjoyed reading this book. I have since read Insurgent, the second in the series, and I think it's the better of the two installments. At the very least, it's different from other YA dystopians I've read (not that there have been so many...).


message 42: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments I wish I had read this before all of the other dystopian young adult books I've read this year. Let's see... The Hunger Games, Matched, Delirium... just to name a few. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been on dystopian YA overload. The Hunger Games is by far the best in my opinion, but who knows, maybe it's because I read it first. I need a major break from this genre but do plan on reading the second book in the Divergent series.


message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments i finished up Insurgent last night and it started to answer a few of the questions that I had at the end of divergent, but now I have to wait a year for the rest of it...ugh :(


message 44: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Review: Derivative would be more accurate than divergent for the title of this YA novel. I felt the whole way through this novel that I had read it sometime before. Beginning with the Sorting Cap from Book #1 of Harry Potter, continuing with elements from The Hunger Games, the soldier training segments of Ender’s Game, the Triwizard Competition of Book #4 of Harry Potter, and a dollop from the movie Inception, all combined with the standard YA romance of our heroine interested in a “complicated” slightly older teenaged boy (Twilight). The action-packed ending sets up a sequel rather than resolving any of the plot points (something to keep in mind if you want a novel to have an ending!) That said, Divergent is a derivative novel well-told. The storytelling moves the action along briskly from beginning to end. I think it would make a good poolside read.


message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (deckfullojokers) | 47 comments I feel like it's a shame the amount of comparisons to The Hunger Games. I too have been on quite the YA and dystopia bender, and I have to say I found Divergent refreshing. What--no love triangle?! What--no attempt from the protagonist to overthrow the system of government?! I found it nice that we were allowed to see into what life is like in this world before it gets turned on its head. That said...

Jayme VA wrote: "I wish I had read this before all of the other dystopian young adult books I've read this year. Let's see... The Hunger Games, Matched, Delirium... just to name a few. I think I would have enjoye..."

I agree. I have become slightly jaded and cynical when it comes YA in general lately. Reading so much of it has made it easier to continually draw parallels with other books, as many participants in this thread have. I don't like to do that because I feel like I'm being unfair to the book and a consequence of delving too deep into a genre without coming up for air every once in a while. I am definitely looking forward to reading Insurgent.

Lorna wrote: "got tired of all the initiations in the Dauntless factions, the fighting, etc. Why would anyone choose Dauntess anyway? It's important to be brave but they were mostly mean and cruel..."

I thought Four explained it well with the quote from the Dauntless mission statement, or whatever it was. The Dauntless, just like the Erudite, have strayed from their real goals, or they have become what is the result of focusing too heavily on one virtue. But it wasn't always that way, and I think we saw a lot of merits in all the factions.

Dee wrote: "I should probably finish this up tonight, but a few thoughts so far...I like the world she has created, but I would have liked more details on how the factions came to be...how did they decide on dauntless, abignation, candor, erudite and amity and how were the first people put into them, or did they choose..."

I hadn't considered the lack of world building until reading this thread.I found that while I wanted to know more about the world (what happened to the Great Lake to make it a swamp?) I have trust in the author to tell me as the overall story continues.



I look forward to reading more from this world, though I will say the ending just comes...not a whole lot of resolution, and that this book has fallen prey to this media marketing trend of slicing a book into three to allow for more releases, more money, and more buzz. I think I would have preferred just one long book.


message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments interesting thoughts Michelle - after reading Insurgent, she kind of hints about how the factions came to be, so i'm thinking that is going to be the basis of the last book in the series, (view spoiler)


message 47: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) | 484 comments I thought that the factions of the Divergent world were an interesting concept, but I don't think Roth pulled it off very well. I don't find it believable that everyone is so one-dimensional as to fit into one of five factions. Why are the trains always running, to where? Why don't they recognize that the factionless are just another faction? The Divergent world seems so violent to me, even compared to The Hunger Games. I am currently reading Insurgent, so this is probably influencing my feelings on Divergent, in a very negative way. I'm disliking Tris so much at this point, I may not even want to read the third part. I really enjoy dystopian lit, but I don't find this book as thought provoking as other novels that I've read. I would recommend Pure, and The Hunger Games series, over the Divergent series.


message 48: by Becky (new)

Becky (ragamuffin_child) | 68 comments I liked the idea, but I think the society would have broken down a bit sooner in real life -- how many of us would be like the protagonist and fit into more than one faction? I enjoyed the story, but it felt thin.


message 49: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments I really wanted to get into this book. I heard so many great things about it. I loved Hunger Games and Delirium and many other dystopians. This book kind of fell flat for me. I felt bored throughout out 3/4 of the book and felt all we were doing is going through training and simulations for no reason. The conflict in most of the book was among the characters that I didn't feel attached to. The book did pick up in the last 4th of the book and I did enjoy that. I finally found a connection to Tris and Four. If the entire book was more like that last part of the book, I would have enjoyed it much more. I did listen to the book on audio and found myself spacing many times (that is how I know I was bored) Later this year I may give it one more try by reading it instead. Maybe that will help. Or I may just give up on it.


message 50: by Michael (new)

Michael Mcdaid | 163 comments I think Divergent was a good story and was an interesting concept. But I felt the characters other than Four were lacking in development. I felt no connection to Tris or her family. I gave the book a 4 out of 5. But it's more like a 3.5, but felt I needed to give it a 4 since the story ideas were well thought out. Just not the characters.


« previous 1
back to top