52 Books in 52 Weeks (2012) discussion

Reviews. > Week8. (19 - 25 Feb)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ali (new)

Ali (alialghamdi) | 124 comments Mod
"In this thread, everyone will post their reviews/opinions of the book they have read this week AFTER you rate/review it on your page. The purpose of this is so everyone can see what you read this week and read your review without having to visit each profile. Some of you have their profiles locked, so this saves you the trouble of unlocking it.

ANY COMMENTS THAT ARE NOT RELATED TO THAT MATTER WILL BE DELETED.

The format will be like this:

Name of book.
Author.
n/5 stars.

"Your simple opinion/extended review/one word that expresses what you thought of the book. GO CRAZY! Anything counts. Don't feel pressured."

Link to your review.

Also, this allows us to be organized, so even if a member didn't log in for about a month, they can add the book they've read to the appropriate thread.

THANK YOU ALL!

EDIT:
As I've mentioned in the guidelines, one word or a simple opinion counts as a 'review'. I only called it that because Goodreads calls it that."

Now let's see your achievements, awesome people.

message 2: by Ali (new)

Ali (alialghamdi) | 124 comments Mod
غرفة خلفية
هديل الحضيف - رحمها الله -.
3/5 نجوم.

غرفة خلفية by هديل الحضيف

الله يرحمكِ ياهديل. أول مرة قرأت لهديل كان بعد وفاتها، لم أكن تلك الأيام من مرتادي المدوّنات، ولكن يبدو أن هديل كانت من أفضل من عاصروا الفترة الأولى في التدوين العربي.

يبدو لي أن النظام كان خواطر كتبتها في مدونّتها عبر سنين حياتها قبل أن تذهب لربها الرحيم في 2008. يعجبني جمال لغتها.

سبحان الله كما قال غيري، تلحظ في كلامها رائحة الموت، هل علِمت؟

ليس للكتاب أي موضوع ثابت بل مجرد خواطر كتبتها هديل رحمها الله. هديل هي ابنة الدكتور محمد الحضيف، وهو كاتب وعالم تجّول بابنته مايقارب العشر سنين في أنحاء العالم.

غفر الله لهديل ووالدها :D

message 3: by M (new)

M Naser (modidoody) | 54 comments النبطي
النبطي
لـ "يوسف زيدان "
3/5
الكتاب كأنه مذكرات لفتاة عاشت وولدت مسيحية في احد الكفور في مصر وانتقلت للعيش في الجزيرة العربية مع زوجها الذي كان سبب في اسلامها مع انها لا تحبه، وانما تحب اخوه ..
عنوان الكتاب يهيأ لك ان النبطي رح يكون له دور كبير، ولكن العكس تماماً :/
الكتاب فيه بعض الاحداث التاريخية التي اشك! في انها صحيحة
ولكن وصف الفتاة جميل ودقيق وغير ممل :)

message 4: by Asmaa (new)

Asmaa Falling Together A Novel by Marisa de los Santos
Falling Together
Maria de los Santos
3/5

Although this book turned into a love story (not what I wanted), I liked Will and Pen's happy ending. As for Cat, she ruined the story; they spend an entire book looking for her and she doesn't want to continue the friendship; maybe it's ok if some things don't last?

message 5: by Mugren (new)

Mugren Ohaly | 52 comments Book #9
Falling man by Don DeLillo
3/5

Complex is an understatement. The characters are intricately intertwined, all brought together by the events of 9/11. I found it difficult to keep track of all of them. You're taken from one scene to the next and then back again, or is that a third scene?
I've read other books by him which I've liked more than this, so I want to encourage everyone to read at least one of his books.

May all those who died on that day, and because of that day, rest in peace.
It was one day, but it will last forever.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 6: by Shiroq (last edited Feb 25, 2012 03:16PM) (new)

Shiroq | 25 comments Book#11
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
Title: The Snow Child
Author: Ivey Eowyn

I gave it 4/5

This is was one of the good books I’ve read this year. It’s more of a fairytale continuation; two people fall in love, where its physical manifested into a child was for a brief period of time. Their loss introduced a gap in the couple’s relationship, emotions untold and wounds that still fail to heal. This basically set the background for the story and setting it in Alaska was true brilliance; maybe it’s just me but I thought it reflected on the female lead barren womb. Faina, a feral child that thrives in Alaska’s winter wonderland, introduces a doorway to the couple dormant emotions. And that is just the beginning! It’s a most excellent book and I would certainly recommend it.

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 62 comments The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard
Book: The Scent of Rain and Lightning
Author: Nancy Pickard
Genre: Crime, Mystery, Western, Family
Finished Date: 21.Feb.2012
Rating: ★★★★☆
Review: I love it when my books surprise me. This is probably is the most surprising yet.

≈ very intelligently written and well thought mystery along with family secrets and struggles to make it even more interesting. ≈

message 8: by Asma (new)

Asma (asthma) | 20 comments Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver
Delirium by Lauren Oliver.
5/5

This book is so beautiful, I kept stalling through the pages, just so I won't reach its end. Reading and rereading the words, ponder their meaning and let it sink in. It's the kind of book that even after a while, you still look back and reflect upon it. It's a love story unlike others, where everything is predictable and mushy. This is the good stuff. Exhilarating, mixed gracefully with other notions of sacrifice, rebellion and exploration. A story as engaging as stories can get. I can't wait to read the next part.

message 9: by Najla (new)

Najla (najla_sg) | 12 comments The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks
Nicholas Sparks

1/5 stars
Feb 23, 2012

One of the worst books I've ever read. A terrible plot with a lot of stupid romance cliches. Yeah maybe I would've tolerated that if it was a movie but not in a book.

I think the word that best describes this novel is: SO CHEESY!

أيام بين شيكاغو وباريس by محمد حامد الأحمري
محمد حامد الأحمري

1/5 stars
Feb 24, 2012

كتاب قرأته من باب الصدفة.. واتضح أنه سيء جداً! لا يوجد أفكار واضحة أو متسلسلة للكتاب، وكاتبه يسهب في الحديث بمواضيع مختلفة وغير مترابطة بدون تسلسل واضح للأفكار أو حتى المواضيع! لم أجد من قرائته أي فائدة!

message 10: by Shiroq (new)

Shiroq | 25 comments Book#12
The Somnambulist by Essie Fox
Title: The Somnambulist
Author: Essie Fox

1/5

I did not like the book one least bit. I thought it would be a light read, which it was but in quite a negative way; miserable characters and plot.

message 11: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinalawhead) Book 8 -
Pretty Little Secrets by Sara Shepard
By Sara Shepard

I didn't have time to read much this week so this will have to count!

3/5
It was just a "half" book set farther back in the series, which I didn't really like because I've read a good 5 books since this one was supposed to take place so it was a little anti climactic

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarasization) | 53 comments أوراق مغربية يوميات صحفي في الأمكنة القديمة  by نواف القديمي

أوراق مغربية
نواف القديمي

قدمت لي هذا الكتاب صديقة فقررت إني أقرأه لأنه مختلف عن الكتب إلي أختارها عادة. يتكلم عن الحركات الاصلاحية في المغرب و أشياء كثير ما أفهمها بس أعجنبي أني تعرفت علي بعض المدن في المغرب و معلومات عن السياحة فيها. و يتحدث أيضا الكاتب عن رحلته القصيرة إلى تونس.

3/5

message 13: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha | 8 comments أفراح القبة لنجيب محفوظ
٤/٥

قرأتها في جلسة واحدة تقريبا، بصراحة رغم تحيزي المسبق ضد روايات نجيب محفوظ، وجدت الرواية مشوقة ومترابطة ونهايتها واضحة. لم اندم لقرائتها.

الفكرة الاساسية من الرواية هي ان الحقيقة لا يمكن ان تكون مجردة او كاملة تماماً، الحقيقة تختلف باختلاف الشخص ونظرته للأمور وتجاربه التي مر بها. وقد تكون الحقيقة الواضحة لك كعين الشمس خاطئة تماماً اذا نظرت لها من منظار شخص اخر.

message 14: by Ghadah (new)

Ghadah (ghadahkhalid) | 17 comments The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer

Title: The Host
Author: Stephenie Meyer
4\5
I didn't want the book to end.

message 15: by Ahmad (new)

Ahmad Badeeb (paper_cut) | 15 comments Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2) by Karen Traviss

Jacinto's Remnant
By Karen Traviss
3/5

The book picks up immediately after the ending of the second game. Karen, again, made a fantastic job making that universe more realistic. Superb dialogues contribute well to the characters' building. However, it's mostly all about characters emotions and feeling, without neither enough nor reasonable progress to the main story.

message 16: by Muneeb (new)

Muneeb (thecrazyjogger) | 8 comments Start-up Nation The Story of Israel's Economic Miracle by Dan Senor
4/5
I started reading this book mainly to understand how and why Israel was able to do so well as compared to my country Pakistan. Both were created around the same time, both have had enemies surrounding it and both have one super power supporting it throughout its period.

This book goes outside of commonly heard standard reply of “US helps Israel so its doing so good”. I don’t really believe in everything what they’ve said in it but majority of it is inspiring. It puts extra special emphasis on entrepreneurship and how SMBs can help propel a country from almost no foreign companies to almost every major company having a permanent station. The way Israelis and their “chutzpah” helps in maintaining and sustaining better management.

I would suggest this book to everyone who is looking into how entrepreneurship can make the economic situation better for a country.

This book does make me hate my bloody corrupt politicians more for making shit of my country.

message 17: by Johara (last edited Sep 08, 2012 05:39AM) (new)

Johara Almogbel | 52 comments chick lit:

Explosive Eighteen (Stephanie Plum, #18) Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lula was the star of this book. She made me laugh out loud so many times, I started attracting stares. The four stars are for her.

But that's about it. I'm starting to get really bored of the whole triangle, have Stephanie Plum CHOOSE already.