Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Werewolfs w/ male protagonist.

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (last edited Feb 24, 2012 01:15AM) (new)

Andrew (kelevra) I am looking for something where the main character is male but is also either a witch (wizard/magic user) or a vampire. I've searched a bunch but what I've found is that most if not all are female protagonists and in their teens, and is a PI of some sort. The male ones I did come across are PIs as well, like Dresden. I just feel like the paranormal investigator thing is so overdone.

Not looking for YA novels per se.

Some books I found is Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth, Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith, and Anno Dracula by Kim Newman.

message 2: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Iron Druid is an amazing series!

message 3: by Jalilah (last edited Feb 19, 2012 05:17PM) (new)

Jalilah Kelley Armstrong author of the Women of the Otherworld series has another one called Men of the Otherworld. I have not read it yet.

message 4: by Joseph (last edited Feb 19, 2012 04:59PM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments I'd suggest:
Mark Del Franco's Connor Grey series
Justin Gustainis's Quincy Morris series
C.J. Henderson's Piers Knight series
Kevin Hearne's The Iron Druid Chronicles

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (kelevra) Oh wow, thanks guys!

I'll have to check out Hounded and Piers Knight.

message 6: by Therese (last edited Feb 20, 2012 02:40AM) (new)

Therese (jellymonstergirl) Here are a few books that I love which have male protagonists that are magic users:
White Cat by Holly Black
Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
Kraken by China Miéville

message 7: by Julia (last edited Feb 20, 2012 02:10PM) (new)

Julia | 615 comments Agree with several that have been mentioned:

Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid owns a bookstore.
Kelley Armstrong's Men of the Otherworld which I have read and Bitten, the first book in the series that might be a better entrance point. Many different occupations in these books. He's an anthropologist in the first one.
Holly Black's White Cat is very good, but so is Tithe another series by her.

Also look at:
John Levitt's Dog Days about a San Francisco jazz musician who does magic and his familiar.
Thomas E. Sniegoski's A Kiss Before the Apocalypse about a Boston PI - I know you were trying to get away from that, but sometimes it's done well, who is also a fallen angel. He also has an amazing dog.
Charles de Lint writes about places Newford and now the Southwest and a wide variety of characters, look at Trader, The Painted Boy and Someplace to Be Flying for great male characters.

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (kelevra) I've come across Night Watch before but never picked it up. Since it's rather popular I'll have to take a gander at it. Kraken sounds really good too. I also added The Painted Boy. I saw it once in the bookstore, more drawn in by the cover art than the actual story, but I never picked it up. I might give it a go now.

message 9: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah Thas right! How could I have forgotten about Trader and Someplace to be Flying by De Lint! They are great books, as is the YA book the Painted Boy. De Lint is so original.

message 10: by Jalilah (last edited Feb 23, 2012 08:35AM) (new)

Jalilah They are children's book but lots of fun! Percy Jackson and the Olympians:
The Lightning Thief
The Sea of Monsters
The Titan's Curse
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Last Olympian
Percy Jackson is a demi-god, the son of the God Poseidon and a mortal mother living in NYC.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Feb 23, 2012 02:47PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 237 comments Have you read Harry Connolly's Twenty Palace's series? Ray does very basic magic, but the story revolves around magic-users and the fact that they open dimensions that allow very dangerous creatures to come through and wreak havoc.

I think they are excellent books.

Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1) by Harry Connolly Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2) by Harry Connolly Twenty Palaces (Twenty Palaces, #0.5) by Harry Connolly Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3) by Harry Connolly

And Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch has a police officer who becomes an apprentice to a wizard. Also a great book.

You might also like The Infernal Game Cold Warriors by Rebecca Levene , which is a supernatural spy book. It involves dark, diabolical magic.

message 12: by Barry (new)

Barry James (mondragoran) | 25 comments My main character is male and undead, but not a vampire. ;) But the female "supporting characters" are witches, if that helps!

Dreams of Darkness Dreams of Darkness by Barry James

message 13: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (kelevra) If he's undead, is he a zombie? haha I'll have to add it to my list.

message 14: by Barry (new)

Barry James (mondragoran) | 25 comments Andrew wrote: "If he's undead, is he a zombie? haha I'll have to add it to my list."

No, not a zombie either! :) Mostly a revenant, but beyond that I don't want to spoil the plot.

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Have you tried the Felix Castor series? I think the first one is the Devil you Know

There is also Monster Hunter International just added this one to my tbr so not to sure about it.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 237 comments Felix Castor. Good one, Dawn!

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (kelevra) Has anyone read Jumper? It's the book the movie was based on. Seems like Urban Fantasy (Urban Sci fi?). lol

message 18: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 150 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Have you read Harry Connolly's Twenty Palace's series? Ray does very basic magic, but the story revolves around magic-users and the fact that they open dimensions that allow very dangerous creatur..."

Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis sounds a bit like the description of The Infernal Game- you might want to check it out. It was fantastic- sorcery during WWII with fascinating characters.

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Shocked I didn't see this one:
Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman - Narrator is Cal - 1/2 Auphe (monster under your bed, only this one will eat you, starting at your feet and working up). Enjoyable.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 237 comments Tasula wrote: "Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Have you read Harry Connolly's Twenty Palace's series? Ray does very basic magic, but the story revolves around magic-users and the fact that they open di..."

Thanks, Tasula. I definitely want to read Bitter Seeds. I'm waiting for it to come in paperback.

message 21: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (kelevra) I looked up Bitter Seeds and it sounds interesting. In the synopsis, it says "...but magic always exacts a price." Could you elaborate on this? I'm not a huge fan of magic affecting the user.

message 22: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 150 comments Magic is a key part of the book but not in a flamboyant or super powerful, sword-and-sorcery-epic fantasy way- I'll try to be more specific without giving away too much. The British have a few sorcerers (just a few people who have a few special abilities that can help the war effort). The Nazi's have found children with paranormal abilities, such as precognition, and are training them to be useful in warfare. The book follows the two opposing sides through a few battles. One of the Nazi special trainees is a fascinating, ruthless character who doesn't seem to remember which side she is on all the time. Many characters resonate with reality (not fantasy) and are memorable and sometimes heartbreaking. Really really good book.

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments I agree with everyone who recommended the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne and Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman.

Another interesting series is the Jesse James Dawson series by K.A. Stewart. The main character is actually plain old mortal human. People who have sold their souls to demons hire him to fight the demons and break their contracts, thus winning back their souls. His wife is a witch and he'll occasionally use a charm or two of hers. He's got some of the snarky wit of Dresden, but in a happily married family man. Sadly, only two books so far.
A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1) by K.A. Stewart

message 24: by Christal (last edited Mar 16, 2012 05:58AM) (new)

Christal | 28 comments I always seem to be recommending this series on male POV threads, but I think it's great!

Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey
Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2) by Richard Kadrey Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim, #3) by Richard Kadrey

Stark has just returned from hell and he's out for revenge. He's definately not a PI but there is mystery solving involved.

message 25: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 150 comments Christal, I second your recommendation- love Sandman Slim and the rest of the series

message 26: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (kelevra) Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into some of those.

Right now I'm kind of on a werewolf kick from watching Teen Wolf. (Shush, it's good...)

So again, male protagonists would be preferred. Not necessarily romance. Would werewolves fall under UF or horror?

message 27: by Judith (new)

Judith McDowell (jude2) | 12 comments Andrew wrote: "I am looking for something where the main character is male but is also either a witch (wizard/magic user) or a vampire. I've searched a bunch but what I've found is that most if not all are femal..."

message 28: by Judith (new)

Judith McDowell (jude2) | 12 comments Andrew, if you like werewolfs you may want to try my books Rougarou and Rougarou II both set in Louisiana and both being pushed for a movie by my agent.
Amazon.com Judith Ann McDowell.
Best
Judith

message 29: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 44 comments Werewolves -- if you haven't read The Last Werewolf by Duncan yet, you definitely should.

message 30: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 150 comments I agree with Contrarious- The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan is fabulous (as is the sequel- Talulla Rising)- action packed and also intelligently written and philosophical. The Last Werewolf has a male protagonist; the sequel has several prominent male characters with a female lead.

message 31: by Klio (new)

Klio | 1 comments Aberystwyth Mon Amour by Malcolm Pryce

Has a male lead who is a wizards and an investigator...

kittykat AKA Ms. Tortitude | 27 comments Another old thread...

Wolfsong (Green Creek, #1) by T.J. Klune Ravensong (Green Creek, #2) by T.J. Klune Heartsong (Green Creek, #3) by T.J. Klune is about a pack of werewolves with a male witch MC. EXCELLENT series.

My Soul to Keep (African Immortals, #1) by Tananarive Due The Living Blood (African Immortals, #2) by Tananarive Due Blood Colony (African Immortals, #3) by Tananarive Due My Soul to Take (African Immortals, #4) by Tananarive Due is based on non-vampire immortals and is really interesting.

message 33: by Troy (new)

Troy Cornford | 10 comments Author Marcus Pelegrimas series Skinners.
A series about Werewolf hunters very well written enjoyed the series a lot

message 34: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Yes to Tananarive Due!

Also, to Cherie Dimaline's Empire of Wild by Cherie Dimaline .

kittykat AKA Ms. Tortitude | 27 comments Julia wrote: "Also, to Cherie Dimaline's Empire of Wild by Cherie Dimaline."

I have this on mount TBR...

message 36: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments @Kittykat, well pick it up, then!

Another suggestion, the one I came here to give in the first place: Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow is one of the most unusual, creative werewolf books I've ever read.

message 37: by Keila (new)

Keila Cush (kcush) | 6 comments I like the Colin McCool series by MD Massey. Colin is in his early 20s I believe in the first book, Junkyard Druid, but he gets older and matures as the series goes along. There are 12 installments and this more mature Colin has a new series called The Trickster Cycle that just started. The first book in the new series is called Druid’s Folly. Massey also has a few other series that you might like, although I’ve not read them. I know one is called THEM and there’s another about a frenemy of Colin’s called The Shadow Changeling series.

message 38: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 44 comments Oooo, has anyone mentioned Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones? That one is certainly not your typical werewolf book, and I liked it a lot. The MC is a teen boy. Warning: very gory in spots.

(This one doesn't meet all of the OP's criteria -- there is no magic aside from lycanthropy, and this is not a UF book in the vein of something like Dresden.)