Lit Lawvers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Book Discussions > March 2012: "Unbroken" discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexia (new)

Alexia Anyone read this yet? I thought this book was fantastic.

message 2: by Becki (new)

Becki (beckalina) | 73 comments I just started this book yesterday and I am hooked. In the beginning, Louie almost seems like a cartoon character. And because the portrayal of him seemed so over-the-top I had a hard time liking him and getting interested in the book. Once he started running I couldn't put the book down. I really love this story so far!

message 3: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia | 13 comments I really like Hillenbrand's writing style and I couldn't put the book down once I started. I love stories that celebrate the human spirit and Louie is such a colorful person, you can't help but cheer for him.

message 4: by Alexia (new)

Alexia I really wasn't a huge fan of the first 10% of the book, but I was hooked shortly thereafter. This is such a beautiful story. I loved it up until the absolute very end. I felt honored getting the chance to read this book and hearing about all he went through and how he managed to survive. He suffered an unbelievable amount; I'll think twice before complaining about tedious things again.

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine (c-mac) | 96 comments Stick with it Jill, a good girlfriend said once you get past the technical stuff it gets really good and goes quickly.

I just started it. I'm home all weekend with a sprained hip and chemical peel face and I intend to get through a big chunk of it. My Kindle is fully charged and ready to rock!!

message 6: by Becki (new)

Becki (beckalina) | 73 comments Jill wrote: "I cannot BELIEVE how many airmen were killed in training accidents, etc., compared to how many were killed in combat by the enemy. Those are some startling figures. "

I was thinking the exact same thing. I understand that mistakes get made and technology did not develop as quickly then as it does now. However, I was appalled that they were still sending soldiers up in planes that they knew had so many problems.

The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around was all of the things that Louie endured. I know airmen had plane crashes. I knew that there were POWs and that they went through terrible things. But poor Louie just could not catch a break! With every chapter I just couldn't believe that there was even MORE to his story. It takes an incredible person to survive any one thing that he went through, but to survive them ALL is just ... I don't even have words.

message 7: by Christine (last edited Apr 02, 2012 04:44PM) (new)

Christine (c-mac) | 96 comments Jill wrote: I cannot BELIEVE how many airmen were killed in training accidents, etc., compared to how many were killed in combat by the enemy. Those are some startling figures."

SO MANY training deaths! My grandma was a Women's Airforce Service Pilot and she tells stories about how she ferried those shitty planes, sometimes after crashes, because from 41-42 there were so many pilot deaths and they couldn't afford to lose any more [male] combat pilots. It's crazy to think of the shoestring budget we actually operated on for 4 years of worldwide combat, and the state of the equipment we put our military in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_Ai...

message 8: by Alexia (last edited Apr 04, 2012 05:53AM) (new)

Alexia Becki wrote: "Jill wrote: "I cannot BELIEVE how many airmen were killed in training accidents, etc., compared to how many were killed in combat by the enemy. Those are some startling figures. "

It really is remarkable how much torture and hardship he endured. I remember complaining one morning about how sore my legs were from the gym. and then I read the part where he was forced to work out for so long without any food and sleep without any blankets or warmth. I felt so guilty for complaining about trivial things that morning. It really puts things into perspective.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.