The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

I need help finding a book

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gabriella Okay, so I know this discussion doesn't really belong here, but hopefully you guys won't mind too much.

So I need a fictional book to read for my AP lit class. I'm writing a report about double standards between the sexes in American society, and I need a book with that theme. Preferably something contemporary, but if it's fantasy or SF I won't really care.

Can anyone think of any books with double standards or gender roles as a prevalent theme?

Holly Gabriella wrote: "Okay, so I know this discussion doesn't really belong here, but hopefully you guys won't mind too much.

So I need a fictional book to read for my AP lit class. I'm writing a report about double ..."

Tamora Pierce's song of the lioness, is about a girl who wants to become a knight - but only boys are allowed to train to become knights... which I would say is one of the only books I have ever read that puts so much emphasis on the bias of gender roles in society. however it isnt set in America so don't know how useful that might be for you...

message 3: by Kerri (last edited Feb 19, 2012 06:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kerri Hunger Games might actually work. How are women viewed in Hunger Games? Do women play to gender roles? or do they bend gender roles? How do men treat women? It's been awhile since I read it, but I think these questions apply. It is written by an American author, so she is influenced by American media, traditions, beliefs, and culture.

But HG probably hasn't made the AP list. (Since HG is a popular topic people are bound to respond and help you out).

Samantha The Escapist i haven't read it yet so I'm unsure if it's suited but http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/94... Beauty Queens by Libba Bray might work?

I don't know, are you reporting on books that don't THINK they're being bigotted but are? Or books that explore the topic?

Moreover the Beauty Queens one is meant to be funny so that may be of little use to you.

I will keep thinking :)

Annabel ♥ I'd recommend reading Graceling by Kristin Cashore. It's about a girl, roughly eighteen years of age, who lives in a world where there are things called Gracelings--people who have extraordinary gifts or talents. Katsa, the girl, is skilled with, in a word, murder. I liked the way that women were portrayed in their society. I don't exactly know if that will fit, but it's worth a try. Also, the boy she is with the whole time, Po, and her are equal. So hopefully that helps?? :)

Samantha The Escapist Graceling would work I think but it still doesn't seem to have much of an example of double standards. If anything the views of women seem acceptably liberal. Plus it doesn't exactly take place in America. However the author is American and what I think would be a much better thing to report on with Graceling is the odd response fans have to Katsa's beliefs.

Many readers have claimed that Graceling is anti-marriage and anti-baby. Basically anti-domesticity. For some reason people think the author has an agenda with this which is unfortunate since the companion book follows up with another character that won't have children (but for a noble reason, she desperately wants them) And it doesn't help that both books feature casual and premarital sex.

Conversely the Twilight books have been criticized for the opposite views, that abortion is wrong, premarital sex is wrong etc.

*none of these statements are my own personal views of either novel, just for the record.

What would really make for a good paper is a comparison of the beliefs in Twilight (specifically the marriage and childbearing aspect) and Graceling as a discussion on modern fantasy (read - ideology) and how it reflects the views of the authors and/or the beliefs that the fans project on the subject matter.

Do you think you could get away with making that your topic? Or does it have to only discuss a single book and just what's in it vs. how it was received? Also I know no one wants to report on Twilight, but it does make for a perfect mirror here lol.

Gabriella @ Samantha: Yes, what I really need is a book that explores double standards. I'm not writing my report on the book itself, the teacher just wants us to use a fictional book as a source of notes. She also wants us to watch a movie and read a non-fiction book. I've already read The Feminine Mystique as my nonfiction book. But the report will not be centered around the books or the movie per se, I'm just using them as a way to get a better understanding of how double standards play a role in American society, which is why I think a contemporary novel would be best.

message 8: by Samantha The Escapist (last edited Feb 19, 2012 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Samantha The Escapist @ Gabriella
Okay so the search is amended to a fictional novel that actually features and discusses the double standards. got it.

Shame. I kinda wish I were in uni again so i could find an excuse to write the essay I outlined :P

Edit to add: The Demon Trappers daughter is actually a really good one! It is an urban fantasy with a distopic edge set only a few years into the future. The premise is that demons exist and the vatican has comissioned the capture of them by the Trappers Guild. It's an ooold guild and this book is about the first woman who had tried to get into the guild and start trapping. She faces a ton of challenges from being the target for bullying by the much older members to an ongoing discussion by everyone to simply not allow her in.

It's a good one for your topic and a quick read. It is a series with its second book out and a third on the way but the first should be more than sufficient.

Edit to add again: yes I'm spending my sunday refreshing good reads for discussion updates.

Gabriella Kerri wrote: "Hunger Games might actually work. How are women viewed in Hunger Games? Do women play to gender roles? or do they bend gender roles? How do men treat women? It's been awhile since I read it, but I ..."

I have considered The Hunger Games because it is set in America, but gender roles, especially double standards, aren't a very big theme (from what I remember, I read the book a while ago), and I don't think I could get very far with it.

Samantha The Escapist yes I think the hunger games spends just a little too much time focusing on how much more badass Katniss is. In fact everyone sort of defers to her. It even features a female president in the third book.

Aside from the demon trapper's daughter I DO think you could find some worthy notes in Graceling just because Katsa (the character) is so against marriage and child-rearing for a reason: she knows marriage would subjugate her to a man in this world. But it still isn't a heavy enough theme as after the first maybe 20% of the book Katsa is no longer around people that would make her choices an issue.

^You should totally read Graceling anyway though because it's an excellent book :P

So yeah my vote is still very much for Demon Trappers

Gabriella Okay, Demon Trappers sounds like it could work. Thank you so much! I'll try Graceling as well; I don't think the teacher will mind if I talk about two fictional books.

And thanks to everyone else who has helped me. It's been a lot more difficult than I thought it would be trying to find a book for my topic.